RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Does the new 2010 RX has HD music storage?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-09, 06:59 AM
tfischer

Received 226 Likes on 166 Posts

When I took a test ride a few days ago, the salesman, who admitted he was not very familiar with the accessories yet, indicated that music could be copied to the hard drive via the usb port, and he indicated he was looking forward to an opportunity to use features like this so he could tell buyers more about them.
Brochures were not in yet; he will mail me one when they arrive.
We shall see.
Old 02-20-09, 07:43 PM
jaymk
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Alright tfischer, Keep us posted.
Thankyou
Old 02-23-09, 02:27 PM
slkatz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Playing Music from USB

The Audio page has a USB option that is enabled when a USB stick is present. It shows folders and then files within the folders. The names of the folders and files are the artist or album name and the song names (with the .mp3 not shown). The navigation through the files is a bit clunky but usable. You can scroll up or down the list of folders and then open the folder and see a list of files (songs) in the folder.

I'm not sure how the order of the files is determined. I am not aware of any options to sort them so be carful how about the order in which the data is copied to the USB stick.

While we're on the subject, there is a setup option on the general page. Something like Auto Page Dispaly. Turn that option off and you will continue to display your audio info and not bounce back to the Nav screen. If you want to go to the Nav screen, press the Navigation button.

I still love the car but learned that you should not back out of the garage with the rear hatch open. Expensive lession! Won't do that again!
Old 02-23-09, 04:06 PM
tfischer

This sounds to me like a USB stick would be a great medium for taking some podcasts and audiobooks along for a ride.
However, much is made of the "hard disc based NAV." If the hard drive is not usable by the owner, how does it differ from the DVD based Nav? Can files be copied to the hard disc and played back? That would be nice (and not unusual).
PS: how can you not be sure of the sorting of the files for display. There are only 3 choices (if we disregard random, which is technically possible but unlikely): date, size or filename. That should not take too long to figure out.

Last edited by tfischer; 02-23-09 at 04:07 PM. Reason: I forgot a question mark - must be getting old.
Old 02-23-09, 09:24 PM
ciparis
Rookie

HDD is not usable by the owner for audio/video files. Only USB media are (and I haven't used any but iPhone so far).
Old 03-11-09, 04:31 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks like the Euro-spec RX gets HDD music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq1IXzJ_z9E

From 12 minutes in approximately.
Attached Thumbnails Does the new 2010 RX has HD music storage?-hdd-music.jpg  
Old 03-13-09, 06:55 AM
tfischer

Here's an update. When I test drove the '10 for a second time, there was no HDD menu tab on the car I drove. The brochure says nothing about putting your own files onto the HDD. In fact, I'm still not sure why the HDD is an advantage in this car; surely the NAV does not use it, or at least does not need to use it.
I did plug in my iPod and it worked very well; the car screen shows the same menus as on the iPod screen, so you can navigate to any playlist or category or track using the car's controls as you can using the iPod wheel. When plugged into the car, the iPod controls become inactive, and the only way to select tracks is through the car's controls.
I have no info on using a USB memory device. If this works as some reports say, then that would be a nice way to carry a few audiobooks around for long trips.
Finally, the rest of the car is excellent, too.
Old 03-13-09, 07:25 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tfischer
Here's an update. When I test drove the '10 for a second time, there was no HDD menu tab on the car I drove. The brochure says nothing about putting your own files onto the HDD. In fact, I'm still not sure why the HDD is an advantage in this car; surely the NAV does not use it, or at least does not need to use it.
I did plug in my iPod and it worked very well; the car screen shows the same menus as on the iPod screen, so you can navigate to any playlist or category or track using the car's controls as you can using the iPod wheel. When plugged into the car, the iPod controls become inactive, and the only way to select tracks is through the car's controls.
I have no info on using a USB memory device. If this works as some reports say, then that would be a nice way to carry a few audiobooks around for long trips.
Finally, the rest of the car is excellent, too.
Very nice! Thanks for the info.
Old 03-13-09, 08:41 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

the nav does use the harddrive. in fact its the difference between slow loading menus and fast loading menus. but ususally cars reserve a small space for HDD music, but i guess lexus decided that an ipod and USB stick would be enough. FAIL
Old 03-13-09, 09:08 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Come on RXSF, Some Ipod can hold like 5000 songs. How much more did you want?
Old 03-13-09, 07:50 PM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not 100% sure, just conjecture here but on my Infiniti you can only load songs onto the HDD via CD's. You can't use the compact flash slot in our car (so I would guess this translates into the USB port on the new RX).

I believe this is to avoid people illegally downloading music and throwing onto yet another audio device (read the HDD).

Frankly, I haven't used it at all. I simply use my iPod with the audio/steering wheel integration and it's been fine. I know that there were some head units replaced and when those units were replaced the HDD was wiped and everything had to be re-loaded.

Again, all of this was in my Infiniti so I can't say with certainty that it is even remotely related to the new RX, just sharing another vehicle with the HDD and maybe someone can try loading a CD on the RX and then try the USB port and see if either of those work?

Also, the way our system has the HDD set up is about 9GB for the Nav system and the rest is available for music (about 30GB).

Does any of this translate to the new RX?

Jay
Old 03-13-09, 08:27 PM
tfischer

9GB is about the size of a DL data DVD, so I guess the system just copies the Disc to the HDD to allow for faster access to the data. Once you have a HD in the car, it's no real expense to make it larger to allow for some user space for music, especially since 9GB is pretty small for a Hard Disc. The trick is to add some software to download, access and play the music. I understand that the Lexus does not have any user space allowed in US versions, but they do elsewhere. In the US, however, the system will read a USB flash drive as well as any iPod.
And the radio is still there.
But no tape deck, of course. That's just old technology.
Old 04-01-09, 08:43 AM
hammerj
Driver School Candidate

Default mp3 files on flash drive works great!

have loaded mp3 files with folders on flash-drive and plugged into usb port.... works great. can see folders and files.
Old 04-01-09, 10:00 AM
picker
Driver School Candidate

the cdplayer can also be loaded with six cdroms containing folders of mp3 files that one can navigate like the usb stick.
Old 04-01-09, 12:44 PM
tomd
Rookie

Originally Posted by picker
the cdplayer can also be loaded with six cdroms containing folders of mp3 files that one can navigate like the usb stick.
Can the CD player read DVDs?? If so, can they read D/L DVDs?

Quick Reply: Does the new 2010 RX has HD music storage?