RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010 owner update:

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-09, 11:51 AM
Peterun
Pit Crew

Received 87 Likes on 39 Posts
Default 2010 owner update:

First off, is it not time for us to have an RX350, Generation Three separate forum?? Might be easier.

550 miles thus far . . I suppose I'm the first guy who posted here re: my '10FWD Tungston RX. The more time I spend with this vehicle, the more I love it. Design wise, it is such a forward move from the second generation. The DNA is there . . . but this vehicle is very different, making the older model instantly dated. Perhaps this may offend some to hear this put into words . . . Just my own two cents though. The amount of control, input, customization the driver has really bonds one to the vehicle. . . There is so much that it does, it's so thought out, so correct in so many ways. One thing that has not been mentioned is the amazing quietness of the A/C and heat fans at the highest of speeds. The driver can even program the sensitivity of the smog sensor. The integration of iPod, sound quality with the standard 12 speaker Nav sound system (non Lev) is excellent . . . Not Lev quality, I am sure, but significantly better than Gen two standard; the steering, which is now electric . . is very fast and precise . . . .almost go-cart like. This list goes on. I want to say that the aesthetics are strictly subjective . . and perhaps the change has some getting used to. I love it . . I find myself going into the garage just to look at it sometimes. I guess that's the ideal response when taking on a new car!

Separately, my initial gas mileage in excess of 30 mpg has fallen to 26 something mpg - freeway only. Maybe a "wind" thing? Without hesitation, I can say that everything works well . . . no issues, zero issues. . . and it's a joy to drive. Well worth becoming familiar with prior to buying one of the remaining '08 hybrids or '09 Pebble Beach models. In my opinion, they are dwarfed and dated by the new model. Sorry if this offends anyone. Again, just my two cents here. p
Attached Thumbnails 2010 owner update:-img00186.jpg  
Old 02-19-09, 12:08 PM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two Thumbs Up
Old 02-20-09, 01:53 AM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Peterun: How is the new SmartAccess working for you (the locking mechanism?) I've been told it doesn't "catch" all the time.
Old 02-20-09, 01:56 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the update Peterun!
Old 02-20-09, 04:56 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great! Enjoy the ride.

I'm torn as to whether I like the lighter colors or the darker colors on the 2010. Yours looks great and I always like the silver cars - they never look dirty but they look great clean! On the 09 we have the Savannah Metallic and would have liked the Granit Mica. It's good that we have the lighter color though as it is my wife's car and I don't think she's ever seen the inside of a car wash without me!

On the 2010 I'm trying to decide if I like the chrome to stand out on the darker colors more or if the sublety of the lighter colors with the chrome tones it down. Both look awesome though!

So, long story short . . . would you mind posting some more pics?

It's great you are all taking the time to share your experiences and photos - keeps us 2010 hopefuls from withdrawal until we get to see one in person!

Thanks!
Jay
Old 02-20-09, 08:35 AM
Peterun
Pit Crew

Hi . . Thanks so much for the well wishes. I had originally wanted the darker silver (smokey Granite Mica, I think) with black interior. . . and then when I laid my eyes on the lighter silver and the gray leather . . .I was hooked. Sidebar: The brochure color chart shows only the very dark wood (essentially charcoal) with the gray interior. It shows no option of the lighter wood. There's an error somewhere as my RX has the lighter wood. The darker charcoal would have been a deal-breaker for me. Looks great.
As far as the "Smart Access" is concerned . . .no issues at all. Has worked perfectly from first day delivery. The gen two model and the new one are both great cars . . . that's why we drive them, take pride in them. Again, the gen three is a natural progression. It got better. Every aspect of this vehicle is improved in my opinion. I am amazed at the precision . . . how "thought out," how perfectly executed. What a task: Making something great, even better. p
Old 02-20-09, 09:10 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

is there a smart access "Strip" on the trunk of the car to lock the doors?

and smoky granite mica is a dark charcoal color. the darker silver is called starfire pearl
Old 02-20-09, 09:19 AM
rxovermdx
Driver

First thing you should do is get a door ding protector/panel on 2010 RX. with ecomony going into depression most likely, I don't think $44+ suv will sell like pancakes.
Old 02-20-09, 09:48 AM
Peterun
Pit Crew

For RXSF: I believe Starfire Pearl is the lightest; next is the Tungsten Pearl; next, the Smoky Granite Mica and finally the Truffle Mica. The brochure shows the Light Gray Leather available only with the Expresso Bird's Eye Maple wood (dark, almost charcoal wood). My vehicle is the is Tungsten with the Light Gray leather and has the Brown Wood. Looks good to me. . .but different than the color options in the brochure. Separately, there is no Smart Access strip on the rear hatch. I can still open the rear hatch when the vehicle is locked . . but the hatch requires a manual lift. Pushing the button on the fob permits the auto lift.

For RXOVERMDX: I agree with you . . .these are the toughest times and perhaps only those that really need a car . . . or have an OCD thing going with the RX will part with dollars and take on a relatively expensive vehicle at this time. I am glad that the new RX is not a particularly ostentatious vehicle, will not attract a lot of attention in these times. I wonder if most of the industry as we know it to be will be nationalized. I have no idea how we will get out of this economic mess at this point. One small positive thought to hold onto is the fact that the American dollar is relatively strong in relationship to other currencies. We certainly are not alone in these times. p
Old 02-20-09, 01:00 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF

the darker silver is called starfire pearl
Starfire Pearl is white.
Old 02-20-09, 01:25 PM
GregsLexus
Driver School Candidate

Default Price Paid

Would you mind posting what the sticker was and what you paid w/o license and taxes?

Thank you
Old 02-20-09, 03:56 PM
Peterun
Pit Crew

GregsLexus: Yes.
Old 02-20-09, 04:47 PM
cduluk
Pole Position

I saw this new RX in person today at the dealer. It looks much better in person i have to say. I'm not in 'love', but that could change.

I remember when the 04 rx330's came out- i thought they looked like spaceships . But after a while i started to like them! I hope the same thing happens with this RX. Maybe when i start to see a few of them on the road, i will start to want one of my own.
Old 02-20-09, 06:51 PM
tigerbait
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Peterrun, would you mind giving us your assessment of the amount of wind noise, if
any, you are experiencing. Two reviews mentioned what they thought was excessive
wind noise.
Old 02-20-09, 08:03 PM
meowmix52
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Peterun
For RXSF: I believe Starfire Pearl is the lightest; next is the Tungsten Pearl; next, the Smoky Granite Mica and finally the Truffle Mica. The brochure shows the Light Gray Leather available only with the Expresso Bird's Eye Maple wood (dark, almost charcoal wood). My vehicle is the is Tungsten with the Light Gray leather and has the Brown Wood. Looks good to me. . .but different than the color options in the brochure. Separately, there is no Smart Access strip on the rear hatch. I can still open the rear hatch when the vehicle is locked . . but the hatch requires a manual lift. Pushing the button on the fob permits the auto lift.

For RXOVERMDX: I agree with you . . .these are the toughest times and perhaps only those that really need a car . . . or have an OCD thing going with the RX will part with dollars and take on a relatively expensive vehicle at this time. I am glad that the new RX is not a particularly ostentatious vehicle, will not attract a lot of attention in these times. I wonder if most of the industry as we know it to be will be nationalized. I have no idea how we will get out of this economic mess at this point. One small positive thought to hold onto is the fact that the American dollar is relatively strong in relationship to other currencies. We certainly are not alone in these times. p
True that. America is relatively well off versus other parts of the world in this global recession and now depression. It was not Bush's fault like many people say, it was a matter beyond human control. Other countries like South Korea and Taiwan are really doing badly. Depression and boom alternates in cycles and we are currently in one. Hopefully things will get better by 2012 (Before the world ends, just kidding, just the next Y2K scare).

Quick Reply: 2010 owner update: