RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010 requires synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-10, 02:55 PM
raysmd
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

so what is the consensus on Mobil 1 0W-30?
Old 10-17-10, 03:33 PM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, Amsoil of course.
Old 10-17-10, 04:09 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I really like Amsoil 0w30 but may stay with Toyota 0w20.
It's made by ExxonMobil and is specially formulated for Toyota engines with more added molybdenum (an anti-wear additive) content and at about $6.25 a qt,the price is right too.

Last edited by Joeb427; 10-17-10 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-18-10, 03:46 PM
rchun08
Driver School Candidate

Default Synthethic oils

Hey everyone, thanks for the cool information but I didnt know if this simple questions was answered.

Can we switch between synthethic oils as long as we keep the same level such as 5w30 or 10w30. Reason I ask is I have two year free maintainance from lexus so once they runs out I wil no longer be going to the stealerships and just go to my local mechanic. What oils can I change to?

I am only familiar with Mobil One but hear about so many others these days.
Any input would be great thanks?

Oh I have a lexus rx 350 new to the family of lexus. thanks
Old 10-18-10, 03:57 PM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe when the free runs out its time for a new vehicle anyways.

Anyways, there are a lot of synthetics to choose from. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them but I have used Amsoil since 1978 & have never had a problem so that is what I stay with.
Old 10-18-10, 09:45 PM
E12ic46
Driver

Lexus only did wheel rotation at my 5k. I thought they were gonna change the oil but they said 10k.
Old 10-19-10, 05:35 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Has anyone put in 10W30 or 0W30 and has your MPG gone down?
Old 10-19-10, 06:30 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by billy44bo
Has anyone put in 10W30 or 0W30 and has your MPG gone down?
With this 'new' engine family you should unwrap your thinking of the heavier weight oils we grew up with. Toyota/Lexus has designed the engines to be low friction and operate well with the 0W20W oils. Other manufactures are doing the same and you can see the evidence as more and more shelves at places such as Wall-mart etc are stocking the oils.

Using a heavier weight oil in the new engine family will likely result in poorer mileage and increased wear. So why would you want to do it? Also the engines run cleaner resulting in less carbons to the crank case and the move from dyno to synthetic results in longer periods before the oil has viscosity break down.

I'll put my betting on the engineers recommendations.
Old 10-19-10, 01:09 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cruiter
With this 'new' engine family you should unwrap your thinking of the heavier weight oils we grew up with. Toyota/Lexus has designed the engines to be low friction and operate well with the 0W20W oils. Other manufactures are doing the same and you can see the evidence as more and more shelves at places such as Wall-mart etc are stocking the oils.

Using a heavier weight oil in the new engine family will likely result in poorer mileage and increased wear. So why would you want to do it? Also the engines run cleaner resulting in less carbons to the crank case and the move from dyno to synthetic results in longer periods before the oil has viscosity break down.

I'll put my betting on the engineers recommendations.
True Jim but the Highlander and Camry has the same 3.5L V6 and those vehicles call for 5w30 dino.5w30 is fine but I prefer synthetic 0w30 oil.Is all about squeezing a couple of more tenths of a mile for that GOV CAFE regulation.
Thinner oil is all about getting a bit more MPG numbers and not reducing engine wear.Not saying that 0w20 synthetic won't work well but it's not a must to use in these 3.5L engines.
I might switch over to Amsoil 0w30 that I've used many times before.

Last edited by Joeb427; 10-19-10 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-19-10, 04:02 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
True Jim but the Highlander and Camry has the same 3.5L V6 and those vehicles call for 5w30 dino.5w30 is fine but I prefer synthetic 0w30 oil.Is all about squeezing a couple of more tenths of a mile for that GOV CAFE regulation.
Thinner oil is all about getting a bit more MPG numbers and not reducing engine wear.Not saying that 0w20 synthetic won't work well but it's not a must to use in these 3.5L engines.
I might switch over to Amsoil 0w30 that I've used many times before.
Believe what you want, it's your choice but you're slightly misinformed. There are differences in the engine. The RX does not have 'ANY' interchangeable parts with the Higlander other than maybe something like a bulb here and there. All manufactures are striving for fuel economy and if they 'were' the same, the Toyota's engines would require the same oil. The RX had a 3.5L last year, but it's not the same engine as this year's 3.5L.

But like I said, you're entitled to what you choose to believe.

Last edited by Cruiter; 10-19-10 at 04:03 PM. Reason: wording
Old 10-19-10, 04:40 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Believe what you want, it's your choice but you're slightly misinformed. There are differences in the engine. The RX does not have 'ANY' interchangeable parts with the Higlander other than maybe something like a bulb here and there. All manufactures are striving for fuel economy and if they 'were' the same, the Toyota's engines would require the same oil. The RX had a 3.5L last year, but it's not the same engine as this year's 3.5L.

But like I said, you're entitled to what you choose to believe.
um, how is it you believe all of these engines to be different, yet Toyota uses the same engine code...

you might have a glance at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_GR_engine#2GR-FE

now, that being said, they might not be identical down to the last oil seal, but they are the same engine, same casting, etc.... typically, manufacturers will change the valve train / cams to obtain different power curves for different applications...

however, what most don't realize is that thin oil is actually very very good for engines, in comparison to thicker oils... with a thin oil, more is able to be squeezed through oil passages, and, generally, the more oil that flows over a bearing, the better that bearing will be... where this does not work is when you have a tired engine with larger than proper clearances...
Old 10-19-10, 04:52 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
um, how is it you believe all of these engines to be different, yet Toyota uses the same engine code...

you might have a glance at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_GR_engine#2GR-FE

now, that being said, they might not be identical down to the last oil seal, but they are the same engine, same casting, etc.... typically, manufacturers will change the valve train / cams to obtain different power curves for different applications...

however, what most don't realize is that thin oil is actually very very good for engines, in comparison to thicker oils... with a thin oil, more is able to be squeezed through oil passages, and, generally, the more oil that flows over a bearing, the better that bearing will be... where this does not work is when you have a tired engine with larger than proper clearances...
I guess I'll stick with the Toyota 0w20.According to the Bob is the oil guy forum,it's a very good oil formulated for Toyota with more moly additive.

I've read the 3.5L is the same in both Lexus and Toyota.
The rated horsepower and torque difference is because Lexus recommends premium fuel and Toyota doesn't.I believe the compression ratio is 10.8:1.
Also have read that 5w30 is the spec oil for the Highlander 3.5L because of it's 5000 lb tow capacity.
However,I don't have an answer on why the Camry 3.5L calls for 5w30.

Last edited by Joeb427; 10-19-10 at 05:58 PM.
Old 10-19-10, 07:51 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I guess I'll stick with the Toyota 0w20.According to the Bob is the oil guy forum,it's a very good oil formulated for Toyota with more moly additive.

I've read the 3.5L is the same in both Lexus and Toyota.
The rated horsepower and torque difference is because Lexus recommends premium fuel and Toyota doesn't.I believe the compression ratio is 10.8:1.
Also have read that 5w30 is the spec oil for the Highlander 3.5L because of it's 5000 lb tow capacity.
However,I don't have an answer on why the Camry 3.5L calls for 5w30.
I think it comes down to a dollar and cents issue. People driving a Camry or Highlander are not going to spend the money for the synthetic, dino is cheaper. A Lexus owner is more likely to spend the money to properly maintain the engine. I think it's a trade off since you can go 10K between changes.
Old 10-19-10, 07:54 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MEP7557
I think it comes down to a dollar and cents issue. People driving a Camry or Highlander are not going to spend the money for the synthetic, dino is cheaper. A Lexus owner is more likely to spend the money to properly maintain the engine. I think it's a trade off since you can go 10K between changes.
I don't believe that is the reason.
The I4 Camry and Hybrid uses synthetic 0w20.
Old 06-29-16, 07:54 AM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Fleets look at lower viscosity high-tech engine oils

http://trucker.com/equipment/nacfe-f...a492fc500ed906

Quick Reply: 2010 requires synthetic oil