RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

The best colors for the new RX350

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-09, 01:46 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1NEAT_SC
Without a doubt...Matador Red. Seen it in person and it looks great. Went back to buy it and it was gone. Now I'm on list when one comes in.

lar

I have a Matador Red IS250... this color is great, and looks BEASTLY at night
Old 02-28-09, 09:40 AM
ciparis
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smoky Granite Mica

Old 02-28-09, 10:45 AM
tfischer

Received 223 Likes on 164 Posts

I am considering the Red for my new RX, but I don't know what "beastly" means when applied to colors; can you elaborate? Also, how does it appear during the day?
Thanks.
Old 02-28-09, 01:14 PM
leo.cheng
Rookie

i really want a black one but from what you guys are tlaking about...black seeems to be the worst color. what swirls are you guys talking about.. i'm in the market to purchase my first car. thanks guys!

my other cars, my uncle and aunt gave to me and they are green so i do not know what swirls are. thanks!!
Old 02-28-09, 03:45 PM
meowmix52
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leo.cheng
i really want a black one but from what you guys are tlaking about...black seeems to be the worst color. what swirls are you guys talking about.. i'm in the market to purchase my first car. thanks guys!

my other cars, my uncle and aunt gave to me and they are green so i do not know what swirls are. thanks!!
swirls as in small scratch marks. in the sun they look like a bunch of little circles and are kinda ugly
black shows these swirls the most while whites cover it up. they both have it it's just the visibility difference.
Old 02-28-09, 04:32 PM
lange74
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ciparis
Smoky Granite Mica

Have to admit that smoky granite looks great. Very clean.
Old 02-28-09, 04:36 PM
lange74
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by leo.cheng

Every minor flaw on black paint shows. And another thing with dark color, when your car is full of bugs after a night of driving, when it gets hot in the day, they cook on the paint and they are way harder to get out. With a color like silver, taking care of the car is a lot easier.
But It's always hard to believe until you really buy a dark car. only then will you truly understand the trouble you got into.
Old 02-28-09, 05:45 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Smoky Granite Mica

SGM FTW!

Swirls aren't as bad as Obsidian....wears dirt and dust well....looks great clean and changes in the light...

Best color out there (except Tennorite Gray Metallic from MB)!
Old 02-28-09, 06:33 PM
tfischer

If you wash it correctly, and properly care for the paint, black in particular and dark colors in general will give a deep, rich, wet looking shine that light colors cannot.
My black SC has had a mirror-like finish since April of 2001.
Attached Thumbnails The best colors for the new RX350-sc430-trunk.jpg  
Old 02-28-09, 06:42 PM
leo.cheng
Rookie

thanks guys for all your input, another question is what is the BEST color for the new RX that cover up alot of stuff. thanks!
Old 02-28-09, 06:54 PM
tfischer

The color of the car does not cover up anything, especially stuff. Some colors show dirt and swirl marks more than others. Dark colors look best when clean. White and light colors do not show dirt as much.
My RX is "Savannah," a discontinued beige color that is about the same shade as road dust; it seldom appears dirty except when it is driven in snow. It was replaced by "Almond," a tan color similar to the inside of a poopey diaper. It might not show dirt, but it is ugly.
I like the red.
Silver is the most common, needs the least amount of care, and is generally chosen by those who are not sure what color car they want.
Black looks great when clean and polished, but is not best for a car that lives outdoors a lot.
As for "the BEST," look at the color of the "stuff" on your car now, and get something close to that.

Last edited by tfischer; 02-28-09 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Dealing with poop.
Old 02-28-09, 08:37 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
I am considering the Red for my new RX, but I don't know what "beastly" means when applied to colors; can you elaborate? Also, how does it appear during the day?
Thanks.
The color in the day is a nice deep, and rich red... not like a fire engine red which is flat.

I think the best way to know this color is to go and see it, because its different than any other red. Go in the evening to the dealership to see the color...

Here are some pics of my car at night

in the garage

Old 03-01-09, 02:31 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

I love black, because it's deeper than SGM and I also have a phobia for red cars. And lighter colors are something more suitable for my mom LOL

And IMHO every car looks good in black
Old 03-02-09, 12:12 AM
iKon_RX
Pole Position

I like the matador red, silver color hides dirtyness and flaws best
Old 03-02-09, 12:37 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Smoky Granite Mica