RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Better fuel efficiency than previously thought

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-09, 08:48 AM
psu77
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI, at pruischat you can see how much it has cost and when the Prius First Gens have had their battery replaced. Overall it looks like about 20-30 drivers report replacing their 2001-2002 cars at a price of about $3,000-$4,000 with mileage from around 120,000 to 200,000 miles. Here is the link.

http://priuschat.com/forums/generati...l-us-here.html
Old 03-13-09, 12:15 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I think some of you are missing the point. These batteries will not fail in 8 years or 100000 miles, they just become weaker. They will still work but you will see your gas mileage go lower and lower as the batteries aged. Thats the problem with 10 year old hybrids, any smart buyer will know that the battery pack will need to be replace soon, they cost about $4000 to $5000 to replace. That replacement cost will be deducted from the price of the car, making the Hybrid worth less than a conventional gas engine in the used car market.
So a car that cost more originally will be worth less than a gas model in later years. From the point of cost hybrids are a terrible choice. It seems it all depends on battery technology improving and with time becoming cheaper for hybrids to be worth it. As it is now I would hate to be a second or third owner of a hybrid for the reasons mentioned. Someone will make money in the future with some type of conversion kit for today's hybrids as battery technology improves. Either way it seems these cars will die an early death due to the expense mentioned.
I am talking about all hybrids, not just Lexus.
Old 03-15-09, 12:56 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by psu77
FYI, at pruischat you can see how much it has cost and when the Prius First Gens have had their battery replaced. Overall it looks like about 20-30 drivers report replacing their 2001-2002 cars at a price of about $3,000-$4,000 with mileage from around 120,000 to 200,000 miles. Here is the link.

http://priuschat.com/forums/generati...l-us-here.html
Thank you much for this link! I would say that 120,000 to 200,000 is pretty darn good for battery life. Also, I guess we can presume that there are who knows how many first generation Prius vehcles that are still going strong on the original battery.
Old 03-15-09, 02:47 PM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by PatsSoxfan
Thank you much for this link! I would say that 120,000 to 200,000 is pretty darn good for battery life. Also, I guess we can presume that there are who knows how many first generation Prius vehcles that are still going strong on the original battery.
I wonder if the industry has seen any improvements in battery technology since those first generation hybrids?
Am I correct over time the hybrid's fuel mileage decreases as the battery's efficiency decreases, meaning the other power supply runs more?
I still think, based on the present information, hydrogen will be the big breakthrough we are looking for when the technology is available.
Old 03-15-09, 03:33 PM
psu77
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DNC, what I have read in the pruischat message board is that almost all drivers have not noticed any decrease in mileage over time. Several have reported having similar mileage at 150,000 or 200,000 miles. Actually, most have noticed decreased mileage right before their 12v battery goes bad (that's the normal battery all cars have).

There definitely appears to be improvements in the Gen II batteries with even less problems. You can take a look at Consumer Reports and see that the Prius is one of most reliable vehicles (all of the way back to 2002).

I am going to buy a hybrid not because I expect to make a return on my investment (what's the return on investment on a Moon Roof or Leather Seats?). Rather since I keep my cars for about 10 years, it is a good hedge on gas prices and I really like the technology. If the batteries need replaced after the 100,000 warranty, its no different to replacing a transmission which occurs frequently for all cars after 100,000 miles.
Old 03-15-09, 03:47 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

the RX450h also has a smaller battery pack than the 400h which means it would be cheaper to replace anyways.
Old 03-15-09, 04:18 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DNC
I wonder if the industry has seen any improvements in battery technology since those first generation hybrids?
Am I correct over time the hybrid's fuel mileage decreases as the battery's efficiency decreases, meaning the other power supply runs more?
I still think, based on the present information, hydrogen will be the big breakthrough we are looking for when the technology is available.
psu77 answered your question about the relationship between age of battery and fuel efficiency. Evidently, it makes no difference and that is awesome.

As far as the future is concerned, I think that it will not be long before we see something like I have linked below. Nanotechnology batteries will revolutionize the industry.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2009...ectric-car.php
Old 03-16-09, 05:45 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

That Nanotechnology battery is nothing more than a next generation Lithium ion battery. GM will be the 1st to use Lithium ion battery on their volt. It is the latest battery technology, it holds the same charge with a smaller foot print.
Old 03-16-09, 07:44 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by The G Man
That Nanotechnology battery is nothing more than a next generation Lithium ion battery. GM will be the 1st to use Lithium ion battery on their volt. It is the latest battery technology, it holds the same charge with a smaller foot print.
I believe there is more to it than just a Lithium Ion battery. The article that comes with link I have above tries to state that this is BS, but I read a couple months ago that this is very legitimate. This company (Shelby) has the exclusive rights to this technology and car manufacturers will have to go through them to order these very special batteries. Let's hope this is for real.
Old 03-16-09, 01:04 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

There is quite a few companies working on this technology already, we should see some cars with these batteries coming onto the market soon.

http://www.electronics.ca/reports/po...thium_Ion.html
Old 03-16-09, 04:21 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hybridcars.com just tested the RX 450h and these are their mpg results:

http://www.hybridcars.com/news/milea...50h-25633.html

The Lexus 450h claims government fuel economy of 28 city/27 highway—a healthy jump over the previous model, the RX 400h, which carried a rating of 27 city/24 highway. We applied a moderate driving style, staying within about 10 mph of the speed limit. We did punch it here and there to test acceleration, but nothing crazy.

The results? We easily beat the EPA numbers, achieving 31.6 miles per gallon. The 15 percent improvement in the new model is due to a number of modifications in the Lexus Hybrid Drive system:
The test was "30 percent highway driving and 70 percent back roads and country routes."
Old 03-16-09, 06:41 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by encore888
Hybridcars.com just tested the RX 450h and these are their mpg results:

http://www.hybridcars.com/news/milea...50h-25633.html

The test was "30 percent highway driving and 70 percent back roads and country routes."
Thank you encore888! This is music to my ears. It looks like DNC will be proven wrong on the fuel efficiency of the RX450h . I bet him a box of Cheerios that the RX450h will get at least 30 mpg and he disagrees .

Also, this review seems 180 degrees different than that idiotic Edmunds review. Did you catch the remarks about acceleration and handling?

Last edited by PatsSoxfan; 03-16-09 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-16-09, 06:48 PM
DNC
Advanced

Thank you encore888! This is music to my ears. It looks like DNC will be proven wrong on the fuel efficiency of the RX450h . I bet him a box of Cheerios that the RX450h will get at least 30 mpg and he disagrees .
No, it was one Cheerio, not a box.
Old 03-17-09, 03:44 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you encore888! This is music to my ears. It looks like DNC will be proven wrong on the fuel efficiency of the RX450h .
I don't even read his posts anymore, because when I read what he writes, it just makes me angry and I don't need that
Old 03-17-09, 05:29 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

What is the point of a forum if all you will read is the positive post and skip the negative ones. You guys might as well start your own Lexus fanboy club and give each other group hugs and keep telling each other how great your Lexus are and pad each others back for buying one.

Quick Reply: Better fuel efficiency than previously thought