RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Drive comparison test: RX 350 vs. ML350, X5, Q7 (Australia)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-09, 09:23 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Drive comparison test: RX 350 vs. ML350, X5, Q7 (Australia)

http://www.smh.com.au/news/executive...e#contentSwap2

The 4WD battle royale
Bruce Newton
March 30, 2009 - 2:15PM

Which luxury soft-roader will emerge triumphant in Drive's test of the best?

Evergreens - that's what the modern breed of high-riding, luxurious four-wheel-drives have become. They are in essence the cars for all seasons - rain, hail or shine; work, school or play.

They're big enough for a family, small enough to park, have all the appointments to impress passengers and enough badge snobbery to tell the world you're doing OK in life. And they're macho, in an urbane kind of way.

We've assembled four of the most luxurious, refined, mid-sized soft-roaders money can buy.

The newest here has only just reached showrooms: the Lexus RX 350.
Even though it looks a bit like the smaller Lexus soft-roader that's been around since 2003, it is an all-new car, inside and out.

But to lure buyers to its badge, it'll have to sway them away from three formidable opponents: the BMW X5, the Mercedes-Benz ML (these soft-roader rivals started it all) and the other German catch-up machine, the Audi Q7.

We've chosen the six-cylinder petrol models to keep the fight fair. They each cost about $85,000 to take home.

[...]

LEXUS RX350 SPORTS

Unusually for a Lexus, the new RX goes into this test as the most expensive vehicle. At least before you add options.
The thing is, the Lexus doesn't really have many options to add. While the Germans have encyclopedic lists of extras, the RX350 Sports (the middle model in the three-tier RX line-up) has one option only: a full-size spare tyre (and raised luggage floor to accommodate it). It adds $1000 to the $88,900 price.

On top of all the expected kit such as leather, dual climate control, six-CD audio and Bluetooth, it includes knee airbags for both front seats, radar cruise control, xenon headlights, a smart key, powered sunroof, automatic tailgate and satellite-navigation.

There's also a crash-anticipation system, called Pre-Collision Safety, that adds brake pressure and tightens seatbelts when it senses an accident is about to take place (similar to Benz's Pre-Safe system). Further safety innovation comes in the form of VDIM (Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management), which adds steering assistance to electronic safety measures including stability and traction control.

RX also introduces Lexus's mouse controller system called Lexus Remote Touch. Based around a mushroom-like joystick, dual "enter" buttons and a couple of ancillary buttons (menu, map, map size), it's quite simple; the only negative is you can't push the main controller to hit enter, instead having to press a side button.

Of course not everything is to Lexus's advantage. There are no parking sensors available as yet (although that should change soon) and the all-wheel-drive system is on-demand. That means the rear wheels only engage when the front wheels slip. The system has fuel-economy advantages compared with the permanent all-wheel-drive used by the Germans but the traction levels aren't necessarily as good.

Despite a new rear suspension design, the Lexus doesn't set any dynamic standards either. Suspension is set to the softer side in the name of comfort, although it really only loses composure as speeds rise. VDIM then starts taking a lot of interest, shutting progress down dramatically. Around town the RX acquits itself well; less so when the going gets open and rougher.

The drivetrain does an unquestionably fine job. The overhauled 3.5-litre V6 and new six-speed auto respond to the throttle with alacrity and smoothness. While fuel consumption (13.72 litres/100km) was almost identical on-test with the ML, the RX felt livelier. Occasionally, you'll need to press the throttle pedal that bit extra to make sure the engine is still there, as it is virtually silent at low revs.

As is often the case, other noises move in to fill the gap. Tyre roar is more noticeable here, particularly in the back seat. The rear is the most cramped of these four, reflecting the smaller size of the RX.

The seat itself didn't draw a lot of favourable comment because of its flat squab. The front seats are large, plush and attracted no complaints.
The more compact overall size also means the smallest luggage space here, although it still remains sizeable. The RX's dimensions have advantages too, as it is the most sensible and easy to pilot through the vagaries of city traffic.

It managed to do that without leaving any significant styling imprint or impression of real character. The link with Toyota remains obvious, not least because of the flying buttress centre console that is also currently seen in the Toyota Corolla. It's one of the few styling double-takes in an otherwise conservative design.

Yet inside the RX does the job professionally. Storage is adequate, there is nice attention to detail (the blue backlighting in the instrument panel is a pleasant touch) and an obvious and reassuring level of build quality.

[...]

VERDICT

Before we declare a winner, it's best to declare that our test crew came away without being too impressed by any of these four.

The reality is all these manufacturers build better cars than the soft-roaders assembled here. Having said that, the decision ...

...the Q7's size is good for those needing space but it can seem unwieldy around town.

The X5 is committed to being sporty, which means it has some edges that may irritate some drivers.

The Benz is impressive, matching or beating the Lexus in virtually every technical and design measure. But the trouble for Benz is the Lexus RX isn't far enough behind in the areas where it does lag to overcome the marked price difference

So it's a victory for all-round competence rather than outstanding achievement. Lexus has done a good job of evolving the RX. It should find plenty of homes in the posher part of town.
Old 03-30-09, 07:15 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

yay! although tht is a small one seeing as how they weret really impressed with any of the cars. my favorite quote: "Mushroom like joystick"
Old 03-30-09, 08:20 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I think the Q5 would have been a better SUV for this test. The Q7 is much bigger than the other 3 SUV and should be compare to the GX470 or the MB GL450.
Old 03-30-09, 12:35 PM
tomd
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I think the Q5 would have been a better SUV for this test. The Q7 is much bigger than the other 3 SUV and should be compare to the GX470 or the MB GL450.
True indeed, My wife actually prefered the Q5 over the 2010 RX. We bought the Lexus only because the Q5 is...well... an Audi.
Old 03-30-09, 01:12 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tomd
True indeed, My wife actually prefered the Q5 over the 2010 RX. We bought the Lexus only because the Q5 is...well... an Audi.
I am not sure what that means, Audi today is not the same un-reliable and low quality Audi from 15 years ago. If you do a little research, you will realized that the Audi VW group is actually the #4 auto maker in the world. Audi also sells more cars in Europe than BMW and MB. Finally, Audi was just rated the best among the big 3 German car manufacturers in the latest JD power 3 year reliability report. Then again, the Q5 is a 1st year re-deisgn, but then so is the RX. Japanese re-designs usually have less problems than the German. The Lexus 3GS was an exception.
Old 03-30-09, 01:27 PM
tomd
Rookie

Smile I like Audi - better than GM, Ford or Chrysler

[QUOTE=The G Man;4388343]I am not sure what that means, Audi today is not the same un-reliable and low quality Audi from 15 years ago. If you do a little research, you will realized that the Audi VW group is actually the #4 auto maker in the world. Audi also sells more cars in Europe than BMW and MB. Finally, Audi was just rated the best among the big 3 German car manufacturers in the latest JD power 3 year reliability report. QUOTE]

Just going on our past experience with Audi and our dealer. (and those of friends) Great Engineering but somewhat frail cars IMHO. Yes, they have improved lately. Dealership saw ours way too often, and rarely fixed the problems on the first attempt. Owned 13 MBs since 1984; all were bulletproof. JD power stats have always been suspect to me. From my research, I'd pick MB #1, then BMW, Porsche, Audi then VW.

Your mileage may vary ;-)
Old 03-30-09, 07:47 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just going on our past experience with Audi and our dealer. (and those of friends) Great Engineering but somewhat frail cars IMHO. Yes, they have improved lately. Dealership saw ours way too often, and rarely fixed the problems on the first attempt. Owned 13 MBs since 1984; all were bulletproof. JD power stats have always been suspect to me. From my research, I'd pick MB #1, then BMW, Porsche, Audi then VW.

Your mileage may vary ;-)[/QUOTE]

WOW, that is the reverse of what me and my friends have experienced. Every Mercedes we have experienced 1991-2009 have been junk. BMW no problems. Audi no problems and superior fit and finish to Mercedes and BMW. I have been a Mercedes fan since childhood and an owner for 16 years but I must face reality ever how painful it may be.
Old 03-30-09, 07:54 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

MB has been junk for my family as well and some other friends (especially down in Mexico). I had better experience with BMW over MB. Audi was amazingly popular when I was in Mexico, really stunned me, because I had friends who would take a look at the Audi before BMW or MB. However, watching my uncle work on all these cars, including VW and Porsche, Porsche would get my #1 pick among the Germans.
Old 03-31-09, 03:29 AM
tomd
Rookie

Originally Posted by DNC

Your mileage may vary ;-)
WOW, that is the reverse of what me and my friends have experienced. Every Mercedes we have experienced 1991-2009 have been junk. BMW no problems. Audi no problems and superior fit and finish to Mercedes and BMW. I have been a Mercedes fan since childhood and an owner for 16 years but I must face reality ever how painful it may be.[/QUOTE]

Reality??

Audi superior fit and finish??

sorry. just not the case.
Old 03-31-09, 01:01 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

tomd, go look at a new Audi, their fit and finish is every bit as good as MB and BMW and Audi use higher grade material. What year was your old Audi, you still have your mind stuck on Audis from 10 years ago. European car manufacturers have made the most improvements in relaibility in recent years. Porsche and Jag making the biggest jump, then its Audi in 2nd, and then MB and BMW.
Old 03-31-09, 01:53 PM
tomd
Rookie

Originally Posted by The G Man
tomd, go look at a new Audi, their fit and finish is every bit as good as MB and BMW and Audi use higher grade material. What year was your old Audi, you still have your mind stuck on Audis from 10 years ago. European car manufacturers have made the most improvements in relaibility in recent years. Porsche and Jag making the biggest jump, then its Audi in 2nd, and then MB and BMW.
Thanks.

Just took out a Q5, Q7, A6 and A5 last week. Sorry - just don't agree with your assessment. Both the wife and I were somewhat appalled that Audi could ask as much as they do for their cars. None of their cars were up to MB or BMW standards.
Old 03-31-09, 02:04 PM
DNC
Advanced

Thanks.

Just took out a Q5, Q7, A6 and A5 last week. Sorry - just don't agree with your assessment. Both the wife and I were somewhat appalled that Audi could ask as much as they do for their cars. None of their cars were up to MB or BMW standards.
Having owned Mercedes for over twenty years (S-Class to entry level) I will have to strongly disagree with you. Mercedes started it's decline in the late 1980's. As for Audi, look at the door hinges, trunk hinges, notice the feel of the accessory buttons, look at the finish of the paint; the present Audi is far superior. Oh how it wish it was not so.
Mercedes has been a favorite of mine since childhood, now I would not walk across the street to look at a new one.
Old 03-31-09, 02:13 PM
tomd
Rookie

Originally Posted by DNC
Having owned Mercedes for over twenty years (S-Class to entry level) I will have to strongly disagree with you. Mercedes started it's decline in the late 1980's. As for Audi, look at the door hinges, trunk hinges, notice the feel of the accessory buttons, look at the finish of the paint; the present Audi is far superior. Oh how it wish it was not so.
Mercedes has been a favorite of mine since childhood, now I would not walk across the street to look at a new one.
Sorry - just don't agree with your assessment

Until coming to this forum, I never "met" a person that gave Audi high regard. I'm amazed.
Old 03-31-09, 02:35 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

I used to remember hearing in the 80s that every Mercedes is a Mercedes, but by the 90s, I'd hear the more you pay, the better Mercedes you got, now in this decade that's not even the case anymore. Audi has made great strides for sure. I think something like the 8 series from them is a real bargain in terms of the luxury you get, but there quality still has issues. I can't begin to tell you all the things my uncle used to see on these vehicles when he'd fix them south of the border (but that also goes for BMW and MB).
Old 03-31-09, 05:57 PM
DNC
Advanced

Sorry - just don't agree with your assessment

Until coming to this forum, I never "met" a person that gave Audi high regard. I'm amazed.
If you want to see the real shame of Mercedes go to the IIHS-HLDI crash test web site and compare the 09 Mercedes with the 09 Audi. How is that for a company that used to proclaim safety as it's number one objective? I don't know what Mercedes goals are now.
Don't base your opinion on a few minutes you have spent with a car. I have made that same mistake. And don't take anything for granted in a company you thought you already knew.

Quick Reply: Drive comparison test: RX 350 vs. ML350, X5, Q7 (Australia)