RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Question about iPod integration while driving.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-09, 12:37 PM
johnpg
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about iPod integration while driving.

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone with a 2010 RX and an iPod could answer a few questions I have about how it works?

I'm aware that some of the NAV features are turned off while the car is in motion, are any of the iPod USB features disabled? In particular I'm concerned about losing the ability to switch to different playlists, artists, podcats, albums, etc. The reason this worries me is that in the new Nissan's they've apparently disabled this capability.

I'm assuming that the iPod interface is not similarly disabled as I imagine there'd be a lot of unhappy people complaining about it and so far all I've heard are good things!

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
John
Old 04-02-09, 04:35 PM
kiddofun
Driver School Candidate

I've been able to switch to all those things while driving.

The only thing I haven't been able to figure out is how to quickly move through a list. The control only seems to go down five at a time. The **** isn't much faster. For instance, if I'm looking for a particular artist, how do I move from the A's to the S's quickly? Does anyone know? Can't find it in the manual.
Old 04-02-09, 05:03 PM
johnpg
Rookie

kiddofun: Thanks for the info, that's great. I suspect there isn't a way to scroll any faster, but the fact that it's not locked out is good enough for me.

Cheers,
John
Old 04-02-09, 07:55 PM
picker
Driver School Candidate

When your iphone gets 3.0 software it will support stereo bluetooth A2DP and you can pair it with your car.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzvrZaQ9aQ4
Old 04-03-09, 11:44 AM
johnpg
Rookie

Thanks for that Picker. I'm pretty excited about that capability. I wonder though, it looks like it's just for streaming the audio and doesn't give the on-screen controls that the USB interface does.

I'm not entirely sure I mind though, as one of the downsides of the USB connection is you can't control the audio at all with the iPhone or iPod. But on the iPhone you can run other programs that can stream audio over 3G. I actually do this fairly often, for instance to play a podcast that wasn't downloaded overnight but is available online. I don't think that will work with the USB, but may work with this. Only time will tell. It's possible that it'll only stream BT audio for the iPod app though, which would be unfortunate. But as I said, only time will tell.

Cheers,
John
Old 04-07-09, 04:24 PM
Btmnk21
Pole Position

Can you play videos from an Ipod through the USB?
Old 04-07-09, 06:34 PM
picker
Driver School Candidate

> Can you play videos from an Ipod through the USB?

not in the front display or the Ipod when mated ... all Ipod controls are grayed out when connected to the car and one uses the car to select play lists, sort of like shown in this thread.

the video above shows a bluetooth audio source that works like an Aux source where one uses the device for all navigation and the car's speakers.
Old 04-08-09, 05:06 PM
blairh
Driver School Candidate

i recently posted a similar question today on the forum. you can read my detailed experience in my post. basically my nano worked with limited functions. i had no access to any controls, i was only able to change songs from the playlist or album that was cued up when i connected the ipod in the first place.

i want to get a new 120 GB ipod classic to pair with my rx 350. does anyone use this model ipod with their 2010 rx 350 with no problems? any ideas why my nano had such limited success today? i need some answers before i purchase a new ipod.
Old 04-09-09, 12:49 PM
johnpg
Rookie

Hi Blairh. I was hoping someone else would reply to you because I don't actually own an RX yet, so I can't speak with certainty on this. Having said that everything I've seen and read indicates that the problems you're experiencing are probably due to a confusing interface on the Navi screen and not a limitation of the functionality.

I've read a number of people say that they had a hard time figuring out how to navigate to playlists, but once they figured it out it was fine. Therefore I think it's safe to say that the iPod integration will work the way you want it to and you don't need to do the unplug -- change playlist on iPod -- replug it in trick.

As for the iPods, that I do know quite a bit more about. There definitely is a requirement to have a newer iPod that supports the USB control interface that's used in the car. I think any 5th gen iPod or better supports that. So it's very likely your 60GB is just to old.

The issues you've had with the Nano are likely related to the confusing Navi interface, and any new iPod would work exactly the same. So buying a new one won't make the experience any better. You'll want to make sure you have the Nano working and understand the Navi interface before buying a new iPod.

Cheers,
John
Old 04-10-09, 06:15 AM
tfischer

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

I took my 3rd Gen Nano (the square one) for a test drive, and after a while I found that I could navigate the entire menu structure using the car's controls. This iPod is only one year old, so I would think that all current models would be the same. Why not go back to the dealership and mess around with it in an actual car? More people in the showroom is not a problem for the salesmen.
Old 04-10-09, 08:59 PM
blairh
Driver School Candidate

johnpg,

thank you. yes my issues were entirely based on my ignorance of the system. i now learned how to find my songs via the usb tab in audio. and thank god, it's so awesome! i just posted this gripe on another thread in this forum, but songs begin to play while i'm browsing artists, albums, playlists, etc. it's always the first song of whatever is highlighted, and i haven't even selected the item to start playing. if you know a way around this so i can browse in silence before selecting items to play, please let me know. thanks!

Last edited by blairh; 04-10-09 at 09:16 PM.