RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Buying Experience

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-09, 10:46 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Buying Experience

It was a done deal with Leith Mercedes today on a fully equipped ML350 for my parents and trading in their 07 RX350. I asked the dealership to let my parents drive an ML for a day to make sure they could get used to the vehicle as we had now agreed on the price. Leith Mercedes said no. I replied that was a deal breaker. Johnson Lexus had let my parents keep a new RX for 3 or 4 days. As I hung up the phone I suddenly remembered why we had gone to the Lexus showroom in the first place 6 years ago.
My parents are not fans of the new RX but at this point we will play a wait and see game for better incentives from Lexus between now and June, if not we will pay more for the Lexus because of the customer service, although we believe they would have like the ML better. I see no reason to spend money with a company that doesn't seem to want our business. In my 20+ years of dealing with Mercedes, especially Leith Mercedes, I see nothing has changed. Customer service is too important to overlook in favor of a vehicle you like better. It's more than the vehicle itself you are buying.

Last edited by DNC; 04-04-09 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-04-09, 08:56 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DNC
It was a done deal with Leith Mercedes today on a fully equipped ML350 for my parents and trading in their 07 RX350. I asked the dealership to let my parents drive an ML for a day to make sure they could get used to the vehicle as we had now agree on the price. Leith Mercedes said no. I replied that was a deal breaker. Johnson Lexus had let my parents keep a new RX for 3 or 4 days. As I hung up the phone I suddenly remembered why we had gone to the Lexus showroom in the first place 6 years ago.
My parents are not fans of the new RX but at this point we will play a wait and see game for better incentives from Lexus between now and June, if not we will pay more for the Lexus because of the customer service, although we believe they would have like the ML better. I see no reason to spend money with a company that doesn't seem to want our business. In my 20+ years of dealing with Mercedes, especially Leith Mercedes, I see nothing has changed. Customer service is too important to overlook in favor of a vehicle you like better. It's more than the vehicle itself you are buying.
I am curious as to why you believe your parents would like the ML350 better than the RX350 fully loaded. Or, what about the RX450h?
Old 04-04-09, 09:31 AM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by PatsSoxfan
I am curious as to why you believe your parents would like the ML350 better than the RX350 fully loaded. Or, what about the RX450h?
Personal preference. My Mother doesn't seem to be able to warm up to the new body style. My parents have also been disappointed with the body flex (squeaking doors while driving) with their 04 and 07 RX.
I did find the ML to be much more solid but the issue to customer service must be considered in our case. We are an hour and a half from all major dealerships. In our area no one can compare with Lexus customer service.
Old 04-04-09, 09:49 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

'Been there, done that, too. I'm 1:45 from those dealers, and at least with Johnson you know you'll only be going for scheduled maintenance on the Lexus. With the MB (98 E, 01 C and 03 E) you'll be home about 10 days from the last visit when some light will come on the dash, back you go, they diagnose and order the "control module that has to be coded for your car in Germany", about 10 days later you're on the road again to Raleigh when the part comes in, they install it in about 20 minutes and your headed back home again. Very frustrating. Nothing but routine service on our 2 Lexus and they do an outstanding job of customer care at Johnson.

Last edited by jim256; 04-04-09 at 09:51 AM. Reason: addition
Old 04-04-09, 10:12 AM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by jim256
'Been there, done that, too. I'm 1:45 from those dealers, and at least with Johnson you know you'll only be going for scheduled maintenance on the Lexus. With the MB (98 E, 01 C and 03 E) you'll be home about 10 days from the last visit when some light will come on the dash, back you go, they diagnose and order the "control module that has to be coded for your car in Germany", about 10 days later you're on the road again to Raleigh when the part comes in, they install it in about 20 minutes and your headed back home again. Very frustrating. Nothing but routine service on our 2 Lexus and they do an outstanding job of customer care at Johnson.
Jim, I have yet to figure out how Leith stays in business. I remember in 1984 standing in a Leith showroom with my Dad, check in hand, looking at a new car. When my Dad made an offer the salesman said he needed $50 to talk with his sale's manager. We looked at each other and not saying a word walked out. AND they could not have cared less. I thought things might have changed but they haven't. Thank god we aren't the kind of people who "need" to drive a Mercedes. However we do "need" customer service.
Old 04-08-09, 04:20 PM
johnpg
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the market for an RX350 and it will be my first Lexus. I've owned (or helped purchase) many cars over the years, and have shopped for even more. I was a bit surprised that in my opinion the "service" I've been receiving from the local Southern California Lexus dealers is not particularly better than anyone else. For example, I can not imagine for one second that any of these dealers would let me test a car for a day.

In fact most of the dealers still have that weasel-like car salesmen air about them. They're a bit nicer dressed, they are a bit more helpful, but nothing like what you've experienced with your dealer.

Does anyone else from SoCal have a different perspective? Maybe I've been working with the wrong ones. Or maybe I'm expecting too much.

Cheers,
John
Old 04-08-09, 08:53 PM
topgun04
Driver

Default Keeping cars for 2 to 3 days before buying is the norm?

"I see no reason to spend money with a company that doesn't seem to want our business."

I am not sure why you believe dealer letting you keep a car for 3 to 4 days is the norm and to be expected.. There may be 1000s of reason not to buy the ML but it is a strange reason because they won't let you keep the cars.. There are a lot of financial cost associate with letting someone keep a car overnight (let alone 3 to 4 days.).. And can anyone walking off the street request that (that would be better than paying 50 to 60 bucks a day in Hertz or Avis to rent a car)? And if not, what do dealer make that decision base on (because someone has a big check book? look handsome and honest?) And how may ML dealer should keep and change them from new to used car status in order to earn your business... And how much money dealer is going to earn from you IF you decide to buy the ML from them? I think it is just an unrealistic expectation..
Old 04-08-09, 09:05 PM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by topgun04
"I see no reason to spend money with a company that doesn't seem to want our business."

I am not sure why you believe dealer letting you keep a car for 3 to 4 days is the norm and to be expected.. There may be 1000s of reason not to buy the ML but it is a strange reason because they won't let you keep the cars.. There are a lot of financial cost associate with letting someone keep a car overnight (let alone 3 to 4 days.).. And can anyone walking off the street request that (that would be better than paying 50 to 60 bucks a day in Hertz or Avis to rent a car)? And if not, what do dealer make that decision base on (because someone has a big check book? look handsome and honest?) And how may ML dealer should keep and change them from new to used car status in order to earn your business... And how much money dealer is going to earn from you IF you decide to buy the ML from them? I think it is just an unrealistic expectation..
We did not ask for the ML for 3 or 4 days. We asked for 24 hours. Maybe you are willing to hand over $50,000+ without knowing more about what you are getting but we are not. Another Mercedes dealership called me back from an earlier contact. When I explained what had happened he offered an ML for 3 days and said they do it all the time. He said all they ask for is a copy of your driver's license and proof of insurance.
I am surprised you expect so little yet are will to pay so much. That seems to be the problem with most consumers in this generation.
Old 04-09-09, 05:33 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 502 Likes on 380 Posts

I did the Benz thing and will never come back. I want dependability and trouble free and MB does not have that. My poor neighbor just bought a new ML and has had nothing but trouble. I warned him!
Old 04-09-09, 05:38 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
I did the Benz thing and will never come back. I want dependability and trouble free and MB does not have that. My poor neighbor just bought a new ML and has had nothing but trouble. I warned him!
Did you warned all the Lexus owners that have trouble with their Lexus too?
Old 04-19-09, 08:42 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by DNC
It was a done deal with Leith Mercedes today on a fully equipped ML350 for my parents and trading in their 07 RX350. I asked the dealership to let my parents drive an ML for a day to make sure they could get used to the vehicle as we had now agreed on the price. Leith Mercedes said no. I replied that was a deal breaker. Johnson Lexus had let my parents keep a new RX for 3 or 4 days. As I hung up the phone I suddenly remembered why we had gone to the Lexus showroom in the first place 6 years ago.

this is why Lexus is consistently ranked as high as they are in providing stellar customer service
Old 04-19-09, 09:28 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Cool

IMHO, it's hard to see dealers are willing to provide the brand new car to test-drive for a day. Under the full payment circumstances, if you like, keep it. If not, return the car and we give your money back.

However, I did see some dealers lend the loaner cars or employees' cars to good customers or friends to test-drive for a day or 2 prior to their purchasing decisions.

I have to admire those dealers for providing the brand new vehicles and making this type of courageous and financial actions. They would be very confident about the prodcuts they're selling, and they can swallow any lost when cutomers decide to return their vehicles. Wish I can find the dealer like this nearby my city.
Old 04-20-09, 07:33 PM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by rets94
IMHO, it's hard to see dealers are willing to provide the brand new car to test-drive for a day. Under the full payment circumstances, if you like, keep it. If not, return the car and we give your money back.

However, I did see some dealers lend the loaner cars or employees' cars to good customers or friends to test-drive for a day or 2 prior to their purchasing decisions.

I have to admire those dealers for providing the brand new vehicles and making this type of courageous and financial actions. They would be very confident about the prodcuts they're selling, and they can swallow any lost when cutomers decide to return their vehicles. Wish I can find the dealer like this nearby my city.
A nicely dressed couple in their 70's walks into a dealership with a check book, a credit score off the charts, driving a two year old RX in immaculate condition, and have lived at the same residents all their lives; this is a no brainer on giving them a car to try out for a day. These people have to be the perfect target. The dealerships takes MUCH more of a chance with service loaners.
Old 04-20-09, 07:42 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

We're pretty lenient with loaning out cars for a day.

It surprises me when some dealers don't. The more time people spend in the car, the more mental ownership they take of it. Let someone take it home, see it in THEIR driveway, get that new car feeling?

Almost always a done deal.
Old 04-20-09, 07:49 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DNC
A nicely dressed couple in their 70's walks into a dealership with a check book, a credit score off the charts, driving a two year old RX in immaculate condition, and have lived at the same residents all their lives; this is a no brainer on giving them a car to try out for a day. These people have to be the perfect target. The dealerships takes MUCH more of a chance with service loaners.
Originally Posted by kalvano
We're pretty lenient with loaning out cars for a day.

It surprises me when some dealers don't. The more time people spend in the car, the more mental ownership they take of it. Let someone take it home, see it in THEIR driveway, get that new car feeling?

Almost always a done deal.
Just curious. Are we talking about the brand new vehicle or the loaner (used/almost-new) vehicle?

IMO, it's normal to see dealers provide the loaners for a long-time test-drive. Some dealers have done that to their prestige customers or speical-qualified ones.

If it's the brand new car, this will be the excellent services. But, I still believe this will only provide to dealers' well-known customers.

Quick Reply: Buying Experience