RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Ride difference between the 18 and 19 inch wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-09, 08:56 PM
johnpg
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ride difference between the 18 and 19 inch wheels

Hi all,

I think I've finally nailed down the model that's right for me, have gotten the right price quotes from local dealers and am ready to buy. My color combo will be in stock at several dealers this week even! Perfect! But there's one thing, I read a review where they commented that the 19" wheels negatively effect the ride. The thing that sold me on the Lexus was the very soft luxury ride. But the car I test drove had 18" wheels. I've not had the chance to drive one with the 19", and the configuration I want comes with those by default.

So... My question is have any of you had a chance to drive both and did you notice a difference? I assumed that the difference would be purely cosmetic, but if it does indeed effect the soft luxury ride then I'm either going to need to special order one or hope they'll swap them out for the 18".

Thanks!

Cheers,
John
Old 04-05-09, 09:11 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

I've driven on rims from 15" to 22"...ride quality is definitely sacrificed for larger rim size. however, you can preserve some ride quality by ordering tires with a larger sidewall. a larger sidewall serves to cushion the blow when you hit bumps, but it comes at a price: having a sidewall significantly larger than OEM specs will throw the speedometer off slightly.
Old 04-06-09, 01:23 AM
tigerbait
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Where can you find a 2010 RX with 18" tires? Dealership in Florida says there isn't a 2010 RX in the state with 18" tires.
Old 04-06-09, 07:24 AM
picker
Driver School Candidate

> Dealership in Florida says there isn't a 2010 RX in the state with 18" tires.

Looked at several with 18" tires in Ohio, infact bought one. Having never tried the RX with 19" tires I can't tell you the difference.

http://www.lexus.com/models/RX/features/pricing.html

All the RXes did have Wheel locks, Towing Prep Package, and most included a Carpet cargo mat. While there were none with HID lighting heading to any Ohio dealerships, but you should be able to find 18" tires.
Old 04-06-09, 09:54 AM
johnpg
Rookie

I'm in the Los Angeles area. Both the base model and the model with Navi (but without the Heated/Vent. seats) have 18-inch tires. Everything up from that has the 19-inch. I think Lexus ships different options depending on the area, so we're obviously seeing different things.

I did speak to one dealer about this and he didn't think there was any significant difference. He'd never noticed. He said it was probably most cosmetic. But I'd still love to hear from someone who knows cars and doesn't have an agenda! :-)

Thanks for all the responses so far.

Cheers,
John
Old 04-06-09, 10:17 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

the 19's are 235/55 verus the 18's 235/60. so the sidewall still isnt too bad on the 19s. shouldnt be a big difference
Old 04-06-09, 12:40 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I agree with RXSF, going from 60 to 55 profile tire, you will not notice any difference.
Old 04-06-09, 01:12 PM
johnpg
Rookie

Thanks everyone for the help. That's the same thing I've heard from the local dealers as well. The ones who've driven in both haven't noticed, and they've never had any complaints or comments about it. So while I'm still going to test drive one first, I'm feeling a lot more confident.

Thanks again for all the great replies.

Cheers,
John
Old 04-11-09, 05:03 PM
Btmnk21
Pole Position

I live in the Northeast and I was told by my dealer that only the Lux package up here got the 19" wheels. I did not order a Lux package as I have no desire for the added cost or the DVD screens. However I do prefer the 19" wheels over the stock 18".

With past models were you able to order just optional (in this case 19") wheels? Perhaps a few months down the road when supply loosens up?

Any dealers here with information like this or willing to sell me just 19"?
Old 04-16-09, 05:06 PM
fw1
Rookie

I don't think it makes a difference between 18" and 19"... i'd go with the 18" ... it's also cheaper when it's time to replace.
Old 04-16-09, 07:15 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Btmnk21
I live in the Northeast and I was told by my dealer that only the Lux package up here got the 19" wheels. I did not order a Lux package as I have no desire for the added cost or the DVD screens. However I do prefer the 19" wheels over the stock 18".

With past models were you able to order just optional (in this case 19") wheels? Perhaps a few months down the road when supply loosens up?

Any dealers here with information like this or willing to sell me just 19"?
Btmnk21, sorry to hijack your post, but I got the question about your lux package if you don't mind.

1. what's "DVD screens"?

2. Does your dealer have lux package '10RX? That's the one I couldn't find it so far... I'd like to get it. My dealer told me it's only 1% of '10RX350 in NE has lux package...
Old 04-17-09, 09:24 AM
Btmnk21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rets94
Btmnk21, sorry to hijack your post, but I got the question about your lux package if you don't mind.

1. what's "DVD screens"?

2. Does your dealer have lux package '10RX? That's the one I couldn't find it so far... I'd like to get it. My dealer told me it's only 1% of '10RX350 in NE has lux package...
1. The rear dvd screens. They come with the Lux package. I also saw a video on the lexus website stating the front nav screen plays DVDs. Not sure if you need Lux package for this.

2. Yes there was one on the lot I saw. They said they had already sold another one too. This is a dealer in MA.
Old 04-17-09, 10:41 AM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Btmnk21
2. Yes there was one on the lot I saw. They said they had already sold another one too. This is a dealer in MA.
Thanks. I'll push my dealer to keep looking for it...
Old 04-17-09, 10:43 AM
DOUS
Pole Position

the lux package (ultra premium in Ontario, Canada) is really hard to find right now. I've been waiting for mine for more than 2 weeks now and there's one coming early May, but it's the wrong color.
Old 04-17-09, 11:41 AM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DOUS
the lux package (ultra premium in Ontario, Canada) is really hard to find right now. I've been waiting for mine for more than 2 weeks now and there's one coming early May, but it's the wrong color.
Areas by areas, it seems Lexus headquarters don't like NE or Ontario.

It seems FL/TX has no problems to locate Lux package.

Very bad strategy. Wish they will re-consider it soon.

Quick Reply: Ride difference between the 18 and 19 inch wheels