RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010 RX impressions after 2 weeks

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-09, 08:46 PM
data2009
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010RX
I personally like the voice command for navigation and prefer to enter addresses by voice as opposed to manually. Instead of unlocking the Navigation while driving, I would prefer if they installed another voice button in the passenger cabin so my wife can enter destinations by voice while we're driving.
Its funny actually. Navi voice does not recognize my commands, but does fine when my wife speaks up. Either a language barrier (perhaps missing explicits) or must be a 'chick thing'. I don't remember seeing an option to change the navi voice to man's.

Originally Posted by 2010RX
As a side note, XM NavTraffic is totally worthless for me. You would think that it would at least be well-functioning in NY/NJ. This weekend, I found myself sitting in traffic in the NJ turnpike.
Agree. XM is useless. Poor sound quality and bad reception on top of that. 0 reception in Holland tonnell.
Old 04-13-09, 09:59 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by data2009
....Agree. XM is useless. Poor sound quality and bad reception on top of that. 0 reception in Holland tonnell.
XM signals are from the satellites and terrestrial repeaters. Just curious. How could we expect the signals reach the deep tunnels, where the lowest point of the roadway is about 90+ feet below the water? Neither the FM/AM nor the cell is working out there. I doubt Port Authority will put the boosters insides the tunnels.
Old 04-14-09, 05:43 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The voice command is great if you can speak like the commentator in the Lexus commercial, but for some, it’s hit or miss, especially when the streets or towns are pronounce with local accents. If you have a deep voice like me, the system have a real hard time.

I find the Sat radio quality almost as good as CD quality.
Old 04-14-09, 02:37 PM
alfaxtc
Driver School Candidate

1. I have yet to find a 2010 RX at any dealer in NJ/NY that has the parking sensors. I know its available, but don't know why we don't have any in this area. I don't care for it, but girl needs it so she doesn't scratch up my bumper! This hold true for the Sports Package also. NOw this package I would of loved to try. I would make it handled much better I believe.

2. The voice command is much better than the one in my 2006 IS350, but its still not perfect so a nav override would be great for the time that you say "address" 10x and they keep saying "showing ATM icons"

3. Does anyone know how to at least disable the seat belt buzzer? It's SUPER ANNOYING!

4. To me the 2010 RX feels faster than the 2008 RX400h I test drove. Its much smoother also in terms of the engine.

5. The adpative tranny is driving me NUTS! It feels like its slipping sometimes. If there is more than one person driving the car on a regular basis it just can't adapt quick enough to make a smooth transaction. everytime I drive the car after my girlfriend the tranny does weird thing for abou the first 20-25 miles before it "re-learns" my driving style.
Old 04-14-09, 02:39 PM
alfaxtc
Driver School Candidate

One other thing the real time traffic nav is crap for me. It takes way too long for the thing to update, so there are times where its showing "stop & go traffic" be its clear and then there are times when it shows clear and I'm stuck in bumper to bumper traffic!
Old 04-14-09, 03:38 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by alfaxtc
One other thing the real time traffic nav is crap for me. It takes way too long for the thing to update, so there are times where its showing "stop & go traffic" be its clear and then there are times when it shows clear and I'm stuck in bumper to bumper traffic!
How's about the weather update? Is it working well?

Thanks.
Old 04-14-09, 03:44 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

1. I have yet to find a 2010 RX at any dealer in NJ/NY that has the parking sensors. I know its available, but don't know why we don't have any in this area. I don't care for it, but girl needs it so she doesn't scratch up my bumper! This hold true for the Sports Package also. NOw this package I would of loved to try. I would make it handled much better I believe.
3. Does anyone know how to at least disable the seat belt buzzer? It's SUPER ANNOYING!
I feel your pain. It's hard to buy the desired combinations of packages/add-on in each region. Lexus headquarters and regional dealers seem to agree to only provide the limited selections.

Btw, I don't want to mention it why or why not to fasten the seat belt, but does this forum allow ppl to talk about "disable the buzzer for the seat belt"?
Old 04-15-09, 09:46 AM
alfaxtc
Driver School Candidate

The XM weather works pretty well.

The seat belt thing I understand about the safety, but sometime you are running errands and have to stop from place to place and only a few blocks away, its annoying putting the belt to go 3 blocks and taking it off again to get out. It should ding in the beginning and not annoy you for 1.5 mins in escalating fashion
Old 04-15-09, 10:55 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rets94
Btw, I don't want to mention it why or why not to fasten the seat belt, but does this forum allow ppl to talk about "disable the buzzer for the seat belt"?
absolutely allowed, the buzzer is not a safety issue but an annoyance issue. you should never drive without a seatbelt obviously, but there are times when you need to have the seatbelt off (eg: reversing and you need to stick your head out to see how much clearance you have; the belt get in the way)
Old 04-19-09, 11:07 AM
data2009
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rets94
XM signals are from the satellites and terrestrial repeaters. Just curious. How could we expect the signals reach the deep tunnels, where the lowest point of the roadway is about 90+ feet below the water? Neither the FM/AM nor the cell is working out there. I doubt Port Authority will put the boosters insides the tunnels.
If I was to pay for the radio waves, I'd at least expect the radio to work most of the time. It's not my problem that XM signals cannot reach the tunnels, or XM cannot figure out how to boost them.

Btw, most AM and FM stations I listen work in a tunnel 90% of the time. Same with cell phone reception.
Old 07-19-09, 04:05 PM
gonzalu
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rxets
Well, just like they have ground stations for deep city driving and when gouing under buildigs like say, FDR Drive, they can put a ground station inside the tunnels. Indeed now AM/FM, Cellular (GSM and CDMA) as well as Nextel iDen push to talk all work perfectly fine inside all 4 primary NYC tunnels. They can do it for Sirius XM but it is likely a cost issue.
Old 07-19-09, 04:45 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Loosing battle

The XM weather works pretty well.

The seat belt thing I understand about the safety, but sometime you are running errands and have to stop from place to place and only a few blocks away, its annoying putting the belt to go 3 blocks and taking it off again to get out. It should ding in the beginning and not annoy you for 1.5 mins in escalating fashion
If you don't want to wear your belt even for a few blocks and find the beeper annoying, I'm sorry but you'll loose that battle. And I'm glad because, most accidents happen close to your home. And not trying to start something here, but your probably part of about .5% of the US population that feels they don't have to buckle anymore.

I don't even think of leaving the driveway w/o my belt anymore. And I'm glad for the safeguards. Insurance is expensive enough now. I just wish states like FL and LA could get force motor cycle riders to wear their helmets. And yes, I'm a former biker and I wore mine (always).
Old 07-19-09, 05:52 PM
Hal56
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Cruiter
If you don't want to wear your belt even for a few blocks and find the beeper annoying, I'm sorry but you'll loose that battle. And I'm glad because, most accidents happen close to your home. And not trying to start something here, but your probably part of about .5% of the US population that feels they don't have to buckle anymore.

I don't even think of leaving the driveway w/o my belt anymore. And I'm glad for the safeguards. Insurance is expensive enough now. I just wish states like FL and LA could get force motor cycle riders to wear their helmets. And yes, I'm a former biker and I wore mine (always).
Jim:
I have a couple of grips on seat belts--first, people, have a right not to wear seatbealts-in other words if people are reckless or careless enough, its their business,not governments.

Second-and I have to check-I was told the other day that if you are injured in an accident not wearing a seatbelt your car insurance wil not cover you. This is the way to do it--free market . I thought that if you are injured not wearing seatbelt or helmet, you give up right to sue.

Sometimes when I am in car working on something and start the engine I go nuts with the dinging--and thats staying in the garage!

Now for your 450h and my soon to be 450h--I think its nice to know we have a fairly heavy (aka safer car) car that gets great mileage.
Old 07-19-09, 09:49 PM
trcr1@gran
Driver School Candidate

The driver's seat belt dinger CAN be disabled. It is done by the service department. We had it done to my wife's 2010 when we picked the car up. The light still flashes but the alarm is silent.
Old 07-19-09, 10:32 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

While I myself wear the seatbelt even on short trips, i know many people who dont, and the escalating DING for the passenger seat is annoying when I have those passengers

Quick Reply: 2010 RX impressions after 2 weeks