RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010 RX impressions after 2 weeks

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-09, 05:14 AM
Hal56
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW--I wear the belts (almost) all the time (sometimes when in the development I do not).

I insist that passengers wear the belts.

I just do not like the law whereby the govt gets involved. I have to think seat belt laws were not quite in mind constitutionally.

When I was young I saw a young child thrown out of a car in an broadside accident. It's always in my mind. Back then there were no seatbelts. I had a friend roll a corvette and walked away partially due to wearing a seatbelt. And I had a client roll a car 4 months ago in Laguna Beach when he turned to avoid an accident--a few brusies.

I just do not like the law--or the ringing.
Old 08-09-09, 09:00 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, if someone is going to wear their seatbelt they are going to do it. If not, then they won't. Not judging.

I ALWAYS wear my seat belt. However, I can give you a specific example of the annoyance of the chime and why it's nice to be able to turn it off:

I pull into my driveway. Undo my seat belt. Get out, get my mail and hop back into my car. We have a bit of a long driveway (about 150 ft) and by the time I get to the garage door I have the annoying beeping. Not dangerous if I don't have my seatbelt on but to keep hearing that chime can drive you crazy.

I wouldn't mind a quick beep to remind someone but the continuous chiming frustrates me. (I have an '07 by the way - just thought I'd throw my $.02 in).

Jay
Old 08-10-09, 03:10 PM
yanje03
Rookie

Originally Posted by RXSF
While I myself wear the seatbelt even on short trips, i know many people who dont, and the escalating DING for the passenger seat is annoying when I have those passengers
safty belt is very important for backseat passenger too in SUV. I have a coworker and her son died because didn't wear the seatbelt 5 years ago. They are on the way to visit his son University ( a very famous school). His car isn't a lexus thought.
Old 08-10-09, 06:22 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stormforge
absolutely allowed, the buzzer is not a safety issue but an annoyance issue. you should never drive without a seatbelt obviously, but there are times when you need to have the seatbelt off (eg: reversing and you need to stick your head out to see how much clearance you have; the belt get in the way)
No doubt. Seat Belt is necessary all the time.

Last edited by rxets; 08-10-09 at 07:42 PM. Reason: updated.
Old 08-23-09, 02:52 PM
mnlexus
Driver School Candidate

Ok, I finally had mine for 2 weeks so I fee qualified to comment. (Previously I owned the 2007 RX350)

The good:

I prefer the seats by far in the 2010 model. Much softer ride, actually feels more like a luxury vehicle. Thats just my opinion. Leather does seem cheaper, but feels better.

Love the bluetooth audio and iPod control as well as upgraded NAV. I'm more about gadgets in my car, which is why the RX was a no brainer.

Like that the annoying warning goes away automatically with the NAV.

Like the keyless system, just hope I don't wash my keys in my pocket!

Overall prefer the feel of this model, although it seems like the windows are smaller or something - feel a bit more submerged in this model.

Like the weather system. Wish they would overlay radar on top of the nav.. maybe someday. Should pop up the weather when car is started (of have the option)

2 Free oil changes = nice touch. Should follow BMW and have them all be free.

Air conditioned seats = nice.. but need more volume.

The bad:

#1 is the annoying center console that doesn't flip all the way up. Have to reach like a monkey to get stuff out of there. Lack of organizer is sad... no coin holder, no compartments for stuff. Huge bummer on the center console.

#2 is the lack of radio display when using the NAV. they should overlay what music is playing on the nav or something. Annoying to switch back and forth, and who wants to waste the NAV on audio display that can't fit the whole song name anyway.

Like others, the homelink buttons (and others) are not lit up properly.

Door sills are cheaper.

This thing is going to get dinged up the way its designed. I can only park in the back of the lot at work for so long...

Satellite radio - is this really digital? They are pushing way too much through the sat and the audio suffers. its like listening to AM radio. Garbage, just like the Vaistech I had in my last one. And no HD radio?

Wood trim is ugly and sparce.

Remote start is worthless... ~30 feet, seriously? Doubt I'll ever use it.

Car keeps beeping when I wash it - I think because of the door sensors and the keyless in my pocket.

Lexus adding more options to the 2010 model year without offering retro-fit = BAD bad bad bad.

My dealer in Minnesota sucks - I will not buy from them again, which means I have to go out of state next time. I guess I have to be foreign to get attention or something... just being a white dude makes me a ghost there. And rudeness.. seriously!

Availability and willingness to deal almost cost Lexus a repeat customer. Maybe next round the economy will be better and people won't be scared to produce SUVs.

Hitch should come with the tow package.

Should have powered the rear seat assist from the trunk.

My iPhone doesn't show song titles - thats an iPhone thing I think.

Hate the chrome trim. Not sure why there is so much ugly chrome on vehicles lately. Preferred the 2007 model's all black look. Hope its that way again next time around.

Cup holders are smaller in this model. Don't they have big size water bottles in Japan? Seriously... thats US car building 101.

Less visibility out of the back corner windows.

Feels like I'm trying to stop a huge truck when I push the brakes.

No heated steering wheel?

NAV is missing roads that have existed since I had my 2007 model. I suppose I'll have to pay for upgrades if I want them.

Couldn't find a model with HUD. HUD should just be standard.

---

All in all I love the car even with my picky comments. Here's to hoping all that is fixed (and more) when my lease is up in 2012.
Old 08-23-09, 03:30 PM
jskennedy
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mnlexus
Lexus adding more options to the 2010 model year without offering retro-fit = BAD bad bad bad.
not sure what you mean here

Originally Posted by mnlexus
Hate the chrome trim. Not sure why there is so much ugly chrome on vehicles lately. Preferred the 2007 model's all black look. Hope its that way again next time around.

Couldn't find a model with HUD. HUD should just be standard.

All in all I love the car even with my picky comments. Here's to hoping all that is fixed (and more) when my lease is up in 2012.
ditto on these 3 points
Old 08-23-09, 05:01 PM
scargo
Driver School Candidate

Let's face it -- the new Nav system is awful. Also, putting the speaker right next to your ear is ridiculous. Why is the interior so stupidly (cheaply?) designed???

Putting the cigarette lighter (recharge outlet) in an inaccessible place is inexcusable. Did Toyota/Lexus do any market research??? We were going to buy a new 2010 RX until we drove a fully-equipped one. We'll now look at the Audi Q5.
Old 08-24-09, 12:19 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jskennedy
not sure what you mean here
Lexus has upgraded a few things mid year. I believe it is all NAV system stuff like Lexus Enform.
Old 08-26-09, 01:45 AM
klegrow
Rookie

I agree with you about the console, however, I have to disagree with you on the chrome trim. Now it may just be my color (smokey granite mica), but I think the combination of the color, chrome, and tinted windows just looks so sharp. My wife has a 08 RX and she is really jealous!

On the iPod, mine displays the songs, podcasts, artists, etc. very well. Perhaps you are using an older generation?
Old 08-26-09, 05:34 AM
ajs
Driver

Originally Posted by scargo
Let's face it -- the new Nav system is awful. Also, putting the speaker right next to your ear is ridiculous. Why is the interior so stupidly (cheaply?) designed???

Putting the cigarette lighter (recharge outlet) in an inaccessible place is inexcusable. Did Toyota/Lexus do any market research??? We were going to buy a new 2010 RX until we drove a fully-equipped one. We'll now look at the Audi Q5.
I wouldn't say the nav system is awful, but I opted not to get it. Just couldn't justify the expense based on how much I would use it.

Are you talking about the tweetters on the front doors? This is not exclusive to Lexus, and I've seen it done in many cars. I have not found these speakers to be annoying to the ear with the sound system on, so not sure what you mean. Also, they are not next to the ear, unless you are a midget and drive with your chin against the steering wheel.

Coming from a Toyota 4Runner, my first impression of the interior was very favorable. The materials are certainly better than in a 4Runner, ergonomics are well designed, and fit and finish are excellent. I guess it depends where you are coming from. Can you give an example of a car where the interior has significantly better materials or is better designed than the Lexus?

I agree that the placement of the cigarette lighter is not good if you're a smoker, but I don't smoke and thankfully, the interior was not designed with a smoker in mind (notice there is no ashtray either, yes! ). The placement of the recharge outlet for me is actually perfect. Inside the console it is out of the way and can charge my cellphone without having wires hanging all over the place. I did have to permanently remove the inner console tray to obtain access to the outlet. I do agree that this is not an optimal design in that respect, but easily fixable.

Last edited by ajs; 08-26-09 at 07:19 AM.
Old 08-26-09, 11:02 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ajs
I wouldn't say the nav system is awful, but I opted not to get it. Just couldn't justify the expense based on how much I would use it.

Are you talking about the tweetters on the front doors? This is not exclusive to Lexus, and I've seen it done in many cars. I have not found these speakers to be annoying to the ear with the sound system on, so not sure what you mean. Also, they are not next to the ear, unless you are a midget and drive with your chin against the steering wheel.

Coming from a Toyota 4Runner, my first impression of the interior was very favorable. The materials are certainly better than in a 4Runner, ergonomics are well designed, and fit and finish are excellent. I guess it depends where you are coming from. Can you give an example of a car where the interior has significantly better materials or is better designed than the Lexus?

I agree that the placement of the cigarette lighter is not good if you're a smoker, but I don't smoke and thankfully, the interior was not designed with a smoker in mind (notice there is no ashtray either, yes! ). The placement of the recharge outlet for me is actually perfect. Inside the console it is out of the way and can charge my cellphone without having wires hanging all over the place. I did have to permanently remove the inner console tray to obtain access to the outlet. I do agree that this is not an optimal design in that respect, but easily fixable.
Thanks, good retort. Personally I'm getting a little out of sorts from so many folks complaining and saying they're gonna buy something else when we (owners) know this car trumps in almost every way the competition. If they're gonna buy something else, then be off with them and let us (owners) compliment or complain with real accuracy. I know, maybe they wanted one and couldn't afford it so ....

RE: your access to the outlet. You can plug in what you want and then go through the hole designed as a pass through in the main compartment box. You can keep using it that way. I have a retractable USB cord going through it.

RE: the NAV system, everything is relative. My best prior one was a pretty decent w/s mount Magellan. My 2010 Lexus NAV system trumps it in every way but one little one, it doesn't show altitude (bugs me but how important is it anyway?). Gosh I love this car
Old 08-26-09, 11:43 AM
sightdev
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Thanks, good retort. Personally I'm getting a little out of sorts from so many folks complaining and saying they're gonna buy something else when we (owners) know this car trumps in almost every way the competition. If they're gonna buy something else, then be off with them and let us (owners) compliment or complain with real accuracy. I know, maybe they wanted one and couldn't afford it so ....

Gosh I love this car
Cruiter, your assessment of some folks here are absolutely correct. It is pure envy and many of us that actually have 10RX did look at others but chosen the RX for what it is. Silliest comment above has to be the “Awful nav system”; every auto reviewers and everyone here that actually have 10RX w/nav have spoken to be user friendly and up-2-par with latest and the greatest. Hope the person who made that comment do buy the Q5 with MMI and be happy with his choice like we are with ours. Peace
Old 08-26-09, 11:57 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

no complaints here (if any, they are minor). as for nav, love it! especially when integrated with HUD! i hate to admit it, but i'm starting to like the RX more than my GS (oh, what heresy!).
Old 08-26-09, 12:03 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Thanks, good retort. Personally I'm getting a little out of sorts from so many folks complaining and saying they're gonna buy something else when we (owners) know this car trumps in almost every way the competition. If they're gonna buy something else, then be off with them and let us (owners) compliment or complain with real accuracy. I know, maybe they wanted one and couldn't afford it so ....
Let me get this right? In order to post in this forum, I would have to agree that the RX trumps every competition. This is will be a very boring forum if all we hear is owner complimenting the RX, need I remind you that this is a Lexus form, not a Lexus fan club. Only allowing possible post seem a bit like communism if you ask me. I am glad you like your new RX, but sorry to burst your bubble, the RX is not perfect, nor does it trump all the competition.
Old 08-26-09, 01:41 PM
ajs
Driver

Originally Posted by scargo

I'm also getting tired of seeing nonsense posts like this, that don't accomplish anything. This forum is meant to be used by knowledgeable people who contribute to, and enrich the RX ownership experience.

If you have a legitimate issue with the RX and can back it up, then I'm all for it. However, incoherent rants like this need to be challenged.

Quick Reply: 2010 RX impressions after 2 weeks