RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Where're 2010 RX350s made in?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-09, 01:07 PM
BballMike
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks John,
I might add that we recently compared a car from Kyushu to a car built in Cambridge which included a trip to the test track and a day full of measurements...while there were differences, the differencese were the type of thing that you might see in one car to the next - not every car is identical. We had a few things to work on that they did not, they had some things that they needed our help with. We work together as a team because it is important to everyone at Lexus (globally) that a Lexus is a Lexus. A day of checks with engineers from Canada and Japan could not identify any glaring differences, so I don't think a half an hour closing doors at a dealership is going to reveal much.
As for tracking VINs, I can check that sorta thing as far as whether or not the car was built in Cambridge, but after it leaves our doors we don't own it anymore. I think your dealer would be more help in that regard.
Old 04-15-09, 01:13 PM
Btmnk21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Stormforge
is your RX a base model or a hybrid? if it is, then it's from japan.

if you don't have a base RX or a hybrid but a RX with options, then it is possible that the cambridge plant hasn't retooled yet to produce your RX, so the japan plant is picking up the overflow orders. this is a guess on my part...

only way to find out for sure is to ask your dealer.
Not base. Not hybrid.
Old 04-15-09, 01:27 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BballMike
Thanks John,
I might add that we recently compared a car from Kyushu to a car built in Cambridge which included a trip to the test track and a day full of measurements...while there were differences, the differencese were the type of thing that you might see in one car to the next - not every car is identical. We had a few things to work on that they did not, they had some things that they needed our help with. We work together as a team because it is important to everyone at Lexus (globally) that a Lexus is a Lexus. A day of checks with engineers from Canada and Japan could not identify any glaring differences, so I don't think a half an hour closing doors at a dealership is going to reveal much.
As for tracking VINs, I can check that sorta thing as far as whether or not the car was built in Cambridge, but after it leaves our doors we don't own it anymore. I think your dealer would be more help in that regard.
That sounds right, the RX has been made in Canada for years now, and it seems to have worked out alright, at least it's hard to tell where the car is from unless you look for the VIN.
Old 04-15-09, 01:33 PM
BballMike
Rookie

Sorry OP if I hijacked your thread! I hope you enjoy your new RX, wherever it's from!
Old 04-15-09, 03:16 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll chime in, but I'm gonna let my pride show a little...

The Cambridge plant is currently producing the '10s...we have built about 13000 so far, and we don't build any hybrids or base models (all have leather and sunroof, at least). I know most are going to the US.

Saying that the difference between the Japanese vs. Canadian models is night and day is a bit much - we worked hand in hand with the Japanese during the pre-production stages and have worked together to make sure that we build an equallly exceptional vehicle (although not without its first-year problems).
Also, our plant is an award-winning plant that has equalled or out-performed the Japanese plant in JD power studies, so please don't listen to the pretty blind assumption that the Canadian RX is not up to par.
I work at the Cambridge plant and am on the body accuracy team, so I may be biased, but I also do have some idea what I'm talking about. Hope this doesn't start a war!
don't get me wrong, i'm not saying or implying that canadian built RX is not built properly. it is built well, and to lexus standards. but there are subtle differences if you know what to look for (or in my case, what i heard). it is a fact (imho) that the japanese built RX have a more solid "thunk" sound when you close the doors. i just don't hear that with a canadian built one. even my GS450h has that "thunk" sound when i close my doors (but then i expect that from a $70K car)
Old 04-15-09, 06:26 PM
2010RX
Driver School Candidate

BballMike,
My personal thanks goes out to you and the folks at the Ontario plant who built my RX. I've had it two weeks and couldn't be happier with it.

For the record, I test drove the Benz GLK. It was a total disappointment and can't hold a candle to the RX as far as fit and finish. Also, my door closes with a very reassuring thunk.
Old 04-15-09, 07:00 PM
BballMike
Rookie

Thanks for the kind words, 2010RX...glad to hear you are enjoying your RX.

I could have saved a lot of trouble if I had mentioned this sooner, but I think that if your VIN starts with a J, it was built in Japan...otherwise, Canada.
Old 04-15-09, 07:04 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

i dont think it has to do with the first letter. They will all be J since it is japan based company
Old 04-15-09, 07:36 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2010RX
BballMike,
My personal thanks goes out to you and the folks at the Ontario plant who built my RX. I've had it two weeks and couldn't be happier with it.

For the record, I test drove the Benz GLK. It was a total disappointment and can't hold a candle to the RX as far as fit and finish. Also, my door closes with a very reassuring thunk.
Good to know you're satisfied with your '10RX. I wish I will too.

Btw, I got the same feeling that GLK isn't that good as TV shows. If MB is my only choice, I'll buy ML instead of GLK.

For German-made crossover utility vehicle, Q5 is way better than GLK.
Old 04-15-09, 07:37 PM
johnpg
Rookie

Actually I think the VIN theory is correct. I have seen the VIN on three vehicles, all listed as coming from Canada and all starting with the number 2. The VIN on the Japanese build vehicle I saw did start with a J. I know for sure this is the case with other Japanese automobile companies, as I work for one.
Old 04-15-09, 09:24 PM
BballMike
Rookie

None of the VINs on the cars leaving here start with a J - all with a 2 (last gen as well).
Old 04-15-09, 09:56 PM
2010RX
Driver School Candidate

I'll chime in, but I'm gonna let my pride show a little...

The Cambridge plant is currently producing the '10s...we have built about 13000 so far, and we don't build any hybrids or base models (all have leather and sunroof, at least). I know most are going to the US.
Hmm... 13000 units by mid April. For a car Lexus plans to sell 84,000 of in the US by the end of the year does this mean that half the cars are coming from Japan, or that Lexus has aggressively scaled back early production to test market demand?

I think a lot of people are cross-shopping the Q5 and RX. Both cars are very nice, but have different things going for them.
Old 04-16-09, 05:56 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Lexus is scaling back production on all models. Thats always been how lexus do things, instead of flooding the market with Lexus and offer discounts, they cut production back to meet market demand.
Old 04-16-09, 07:50 AM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
Lexus is scaling back production on all models. Thats always been how lexus do things, instead of flooding the market with Lexus and offer discounts, they cut production back to meet market demand.
Back to 2008 Nov/Dec, I saw the news saying Toyota was going to temp close 3 plants to reduce the productions, which may include one of Lexus (Kyushu, Tahara, or Kanto Jidosha). I didn't follow up the news then. I don't know what happened afterwards.

Well, Toyota did make a lot of cars. I guess Toyota will have the good profit if more than 60% of cars can be sold.
Old 04-16-09, 12:32 PM
BballMike
Rookie

[QUOTE=2010RX;4440417]Hmm... 13000 units by mid April. For a car Lexus plans to sell 84,000 of in the US by the end of the year does this mean that half the cars are coming from Japan, or that Lexus has aggressively scaled back early production to test market demand?QUOTE]

I should point out that we hadn't started full production until mid-March - we build about 1500/week at full capacity, which we've been doing lately. I think with the last generation, about 80% of the NA vehicles were built in Canada, and I've heard that the same will be true for this one. Overall production numbers are down, though, and I think you are on to something with testing market demand.

Quick Reply: Where're 2010 RX350s made in?