RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Where're 2010 RX350s made in?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-09, 12:32 PM
BballMike
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow - I suck at quoting people!
Old 04-16-09, 01:05 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BballMike
Originally Posted by 2010RX
Hmm... 13000 units by mid April. For a car Lexus plans to sell 84,000 of in the US by the end of the year does this mean that half the cars are coming from Japan, or that Lexus has aggressively scaled back early production to test market demand?
I should point out that we hadn't started full production until mid-March - we build about 1500/week at full capacity, which we've been doing lately. I think with the last generation, about 80% of the NA vehicles were built in Canada, and I've heard that the same will be true for this one. Overall production numbers are down, though, and I think you are on to something with testing market demand.
BballMike, does this mean your plant also produces other Lexus models?

Thanks.

Maybe I quoted the old data...

Model Production Location
LS Tahara
LS Hybrid Tahara
GS Tahara
GS Hybrid Tahara
ES Kyushu
IS Kyushu and Tahara
IS F Tahara
SC Kanto Jidosha
LX Araco
GX Tahara
RX Kyushu and Cambridge, Ontario
RX Hybrid Kyushu
Old 04-16-09, 01:10 PM
BballMike
Rookie

rets94, we only build the RX (for now, the only Lexus plant outside of Japan).
Old 04-16-09, 01:22 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

rets94, we only build the RX (for now, the only Lexus plant outside of Japan).
Thanks for your info...

Does your plant also offer the tour for the visitors everyday?

I'm visiting Toronto quite often... maybe can stop by there after passing Buffalo...
Old 04-16-09, 01:25 PM
DOUS
Pole Position

Regarding the VIN Number comment, my 2000 4Runner Ltd that was made in Japan had a VIN starting in J and our '03 Corolla S had a VIN starting in 2, which was made in Cambridge.
Old 04-16-09, 05:45 PM
JaxIS250
Driver

bbalmike - you guys do a good job up there!
I work for Toyota Logistics Svcs under TMS in Jacksonville, FL. We get units from Cambridge railed to us in Jax.....and of course we also get ships from Japan......

Vins from Canada - 2T2
Vins from Japan - JTJZK, JTJBK

For the RX's
Old 04-17-09, 12:33 PM
BballMike
Rookie

rets94, I think the tours are Wed and Thur, but I don't know how to get on the list - I think they bring lots of schools for tours, and I can bring family, but I don't know if you can just show up for the tour - unless there is something I don't know.

JaxIS250 - thanks for the kind words! We are doing our best to stay competitive until the economy is back on track.

Man, did I ever hijack this thread (although I guess talking about my plant in a thread about where the RXs are built is related). Have a great weekend everyone! Just got my IS all shined up.
Old 04-19-09, 08:37 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
that dealer is correct. they are currently from Japan but will slowly be moved to Canada. The hybrid will be built in japan. an easier way to tell than the vin is to pop the hood. on the passenger side of the hood, there should be a sticker with the name of the plant.

with production in Canada, and Lexus saving on shipping do you think they will lower the price.... FAT CHANCE.lol
Old 04-19-09, 08:59 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

... I think the tours are Wed and Thur, but I don't know how to get on the list - I think they bring lots of schools for tours, and I can bring family, but I don't know if you can just show up for the tour - unless there is something I don't know....
Thanks for your info.
Old 05-06-09, 02:24 PM
slimpiggy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by johnpg
BballMike: You could be accused of bias, but I for one believe you. I also work for an automotive company and think that in most cases it's a myth that cars from Japan are better than those in the US (or Canada). The differences are very insignificant.

Incidentally, since you work at the plant, are you aware of a way to track shipments? A few of us are awaiting delivery and have VIN #'s, but have no way outside the dealer to see status.

Cheers,
John
sorry to break it to you, as a full-blood canadian, I have to tell you, there is a major difference between Japanese made and Canadian made, the RX coming out of Cambridge sucked, badly, it's something Toyota couldn't figure out for the life of them. that's why I only buy Hybrid
Old 05-06-09, 05:54 PM
LexFather

I'll chime in, but I'm gonna let my pride show a little...

The Cambridge plant is currently producing the '10s...we have built about 13000 so far, and we don't build any hybrids or base models (all have leather and sunroof, at least). I know most are going to the US.

Saying that the difference between the Japanese vs. Canadian models is night and day is a bit much - we worked hand in hand with the Japanese during the pre-production stages and have worked together to make sure that we build an equallly exceptional vehicle (although not without its first-year problems).
Also, our plant is an award-winning plant that has equalled or out-performed the Japanese plant in JD power studies, so please don't listen to the pretty blind assumption that the Canadian RX is not up to par.
I work at the Cambridge plant and am on the body accuracy team, so I may be biased, but I also do have some idea what I'm talking about. Hope this doesn't start a war!
Thanks for posting, good read
Old 05-07-09, 09:35 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
my lexus salesman told me that all RX comes out of the cambridge plant. the only RX that comes from japan is the base model RX and the hybrid.

and believe me, there is a difference between made in canada and made in japan. i was at my dealership over the weekend and looked/test drove the 2008 RX400h and the 2010 RX350. with the hybrid (made in japan), the doors close with a solid "thunk" (like when you close a mercedes S class). not so with the made in canada RX, it had a more sedated sound. made in japan just has better fit and finish, even if the differences are not visually apparent.
I agreed. There are things difference between car made in Canada and Japan. Also for Toyota. But so far I only seen 2010 RX basic model came from Japan, the high-end with Luxury package came from Canada.
Old 05-07-09, 09:46 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by onexcite
I agreed. There are things difference between car made in Canada and Japan. Also for Toyota. But so far I only seen 2010 RX basic model came from Japan, the high-end with Luxury package came from Canada.
Welcome to the forum. I know I shouldn't say that since you've been here that long. However, it's your 1st post...

I guess you won't see any more new made-in-J RX350 in the following months... US/Canada's RX350 productions should be fully taken care by Cambridge plant already.
Old 05-08-09, 09:14 AM
Btmnk21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rxets
Welcome to the forum. I know I shouldn't say that since you've been here that long. However, it's your 1st post...

I guess you won't see any more new made-in-J RX350 in the following months... US/Canada's RX350 productions should be fully taken care by Cambridge plant already.
Mine is coming on a boat...me thinks that means Japan?
Old 05-08-09, 10:12 AM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Red face

Originally Posted by Btmnk21
Mine is coming on a boat...me thinks that means Japan?
Hard to tell. But, mine is built in Cambridge. My dealer always says "coming on a boat"... dunno.

Are yours Hybrid? If so, it's definitely from J...

Quick Reply: Where're 2010 RX350s made in?