RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010 Lexus RX 350 vs 2009 Acura MDX Sport

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-09, 02:35 PM
LionSpeed
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 2010 Lexus RX 350 vs 2009 Acura MDX Sport

I am looking for feedbacks from experience behind the wheels for these two mid-size SUV. Have you test drove both of them back to back? What is your initial impressions/expectations as well as disappointments between the two? Your honest non-bias opinion is much appreciated.
Old 04-17-09, 03:52 PM
Btmnk21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LionSpeed
Your honest non-bias opinion is much appreciated.
That could be a problem..this is a Lexus enthusiast website after all...
Old 04-17-09, 05:03 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't own either, and I've driven both. My impressions:

Acura:
* dashboard cluttered with buttons
* Front console makes for claustrophobic feeling in front seats
* 5 spd AT shifts hard, and is loud
* Lots of pep/torque for an AT
* Seats are too short - not for touring
* Fit and finish was surprisingly problematic

RX350:
* Much more elegant dash design, IMO (I don't want Nav, FWIW)
* Much more knee room than the MDX
* 6 spd AT shifts smoothly, at appropriate points
* Good amount of headroom in rear seat (even with moonroof) for 6'4" friend
* Body roll in hard corners
* A little sluggish on acceleration
* Seats are comfy, but could use side bolsters to hold driver in place
* There is an available sport option, but I haven't been able to find one to drive.

The MDX feels more sporty, but the AT is a real downside, IMO.

We need a touring car, since both DH and I have had spinal surgery. So the Lexus is leading right now. I'm hoping I can find an RX350 with the sport package on it (it has an adaptive suspension, with 19" wheels) to see how that handles. If it's not too hard, and helps with cornering, I'm going with the RX350.

Sandi
Old 04-17-09, 05:31 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Besides, MDX has full-time AWD (SH-AWD) with 300 HP and high-RPM Torque. But I hate its 5-speed tranny and its front facelift.
Old 04-17-09, 05:57 PM
jinnjia
Driver

Actually the MDX seats are much longer, unless you get the Luxary package with the cushion extender for RX. You wont regret buying either two, RX is a brand new design which should last another good six years, but MDX has the addtional 2 seats in the back
which might come very handy if you need them.
Old 04-17-09, 07:16 PM
DOUS
Pole Position

I test drove both as we were doing our research..

MDX:
- bigger dimensions
- seats are wider
- 3rd row seats, albeit really small and unusable for big adults.
- 300 hp, but 5 speed not smooth as already mentioned
- lots of power accelerating, but can feel the weight of the vehicle as soon as you let go of the gas pedal (the car drags down)
- looks good in Black, exterior is nice, but is getting dated
- center console looks busy
- has good technology, but not as advanced as the RX
- handling is good because of its wider stance
- full time SH-AWD
- backup camera is slow
- leather not as nice.. I heard after 2 months it looks worn out like its been used 2 years.

RX 350:
- design is very fresh, although some people hate it.. I give it a 7/10
- technology is advanced compared to MDX
- more features
- standard roof rack
- no 3rd row, but more headroom and legroom, not as wide
- smaller SUV, good size to drive
- handling was quite acceptable when I drove it
- VDIM on ultra premium worked well when I drove it in the snow
- accelerates well for a Lexus
- fit and finish is better than the MDX
- leather is better quality
- has available 2-screen headrest dvd in rear, not overhead which blocks my rear view mirror
- nice exterior chrome accents
- more luxurious feel inside
- love the remote touch and Voicebox
- love the backup camera and side camera
- has heads up display
- better reliability reputation, although Acura is not far behind
- rear wipers tucked in under spoiler
- rain sensing wipers
- welcome lighting
- keyless ignition
- adaptive and auto high beam headlights
- 10 airbags

Thats why we ordered the RX with Ultra premium. but believe me it was very close.
Old 04-17-09, 07:25 PM
data2009
Pole Position

DOUS, you nailed it pretty close in comparing RX to MDX.

I owned 2 previous gen MDXs, and we decided to go with RX mostly for the same reasons you listed, although I do miss that extra space in MDX.

Hey, LS, you know me better as sgtglok. Shopping for RX?
Old 04-17-09, 07:29 PM
bwonger06
Driver School Candidate

I was surprised by how well the Lexus handled, but acceleration is another issue. It is by far one of the worst accelerating cars I have EVER driven. The acceleration pedal feels to supported and it forces you to basically drive in "eco" mode, and when you push it, it pushes too hard. Either your are driving in the very, very slow eco mode or you get the really jerking, accelerations were there is a little hesitation and you are pushing 3000 rpms out of the gates. There was no seamless acceleration. It is probably the darn tranny with its adaptive memory.

And less gears in an ATM does not mean it is inferior. Honda/Acura has always built a very good and quick accelerating 5speed, can't say the same about toyota and the 6AT.
Old 04-17-09, 07:31 PM
data2009
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jinnjia
Actually the MDX seats are much longer, unless you get the Luxary package with the cushion extender for RX.
I wish Lexus either made cushion extender standard, or at least a standalone option. For tall drivers, I think its a must. After 4 weeks of driving RX, finding comfort position for the driver's seat is the biggest PITA for me. I am hoping the leather will soften up after a few months, but I also wonder, if swapping a car seat for the one with cushion extender a possibility, albet most likely a costly one...
Old 04-17-09, 08:03 PM
LionSpeed
7th Gear

Originally Posted by data2009
DOUS, you nailed it pretty close in comparing RX to MDX.

I owned 2 previous gen MDXs, and we decided to go with RX mostly for the same reasons you listed, although I do miss that extra space in MDX.

Hey, LS, you know me better as sgtglok. Shopping for RX?
Hey sgtglok, how goes?
Trying to convince my wife to buy 3rd gen RX instead of Venza and/or Infiniti EX35. We currently own 2 Lexus ES350 & ES300, so Lexus is not new to us. 2 brothers in-law own both GS300 & GS350. The 2nd gen RX350 is our usual loaner so we know it's characteristic well inside out. She loves my MDX & insist to buy another one for her. It doesn't seem right (to me) to have both of the same MDX's right? She however was spoiled by my Sport MDX & would not drive the 2nd gen RX due to its underpower engine & squishy handling. Hopefully she'll change her mind because I'm not giving up my MDX for anyone.
Old 04-17-09, 10:04 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jinnjia
Actually the MDX seats are much longer, unless you get the Luxary package with the cushion extender for RX. You wont regret buying either two, RX is a brand new design which should last another good six years, but MDX has the addtional 2 seats in the back
which might come very handy if you need them.
In many reviews, many ppl are critical that 3rd-row-seat is the big case after they buy buy 5-seats SUV. I have to agree that you don't have to use those additional 2 seats, but it's very useful when you need them.
Old 04-17-09, 10:11 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bwonger06
I was surprised by how well the Lexus handled, but acceleration is another issue. It is by far one of the worst accelerating cars I have EVER driven. The acceleration pedal feels to supported and it forces you to basically drive in "eco" mode, and when you push it, it pushes too hard. Either your are driving in the very, very slow eco mode or you get the really jerking, accelerations were there is a little hesitation and you are pushing 3000 rpms out of the gates. There was no seamless acceleration. It is probably the darn tranny with its adaptive memory.

And less gears in an ATM does not mean it is inferior. Honda/Acura has always built a very good and quick accelerating 5speed, can't say the same about toyota and the 6AT.
I don't like the acceleration of RX, either, but I guess I have to find the way to get used to.

Btw, Honda/Acura has the huge tranny issues 5-10 years ago, it's the nightmare. Sometimes I was wondering why Honda doesn't like to develop and produce 6-speed systems. MB has made 7-speed as the standard. Honda is still staying in 5, something wrong here.
Old 04-17-09, 10:45 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I found the Acura to be noisy, more so than the RX. The price we were quoted was also much higher than the RX. The Mercedes M-Class seemed to be the best competation in all areas.
Old 04-18-09, 06:20 PM
data2009
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bwonger06

Wow, RX one of the worst accelerating cars? If you coming from driving a modern sports sedan, with 0-60 under 7 sec, perhaps. I find it accelerates faster than most Luxury Mid-Size SUVs in its class. The ones I tested were ML, X5, and Volvo XC90. I certainly feel an improvement in merging into the highway traffic over my 05 MDX.

I am also scratching my head about slow Eco mode comments. To me its seemless. If you drive below 2000 RPMs, the green Eco icon lights up. If you accelerate harder, it goes away. Period. No mysterious pushing. No hesitation. No ATM jerkinnes. And I have not even driven it hard yet (above 3500 RPMs).
Old 04-18-09, 06:27 PM
data2009
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by DNC
I found the Acura to be noisy, more so than the RX. The price we were quoted was also much higher than the RX. The Mercedes M-Class seemed to be the best competation in all areas.
I know people complain RX shifter is in wierd position. Did you like ML's?

My test drive was aweful. After making right turn, ML all over sudden jumped to 1st gear, and to over 5000 rpms. Turns out, there is pedal shifter behind the steering wheel, and I accidentaly pushed it. You have to cycle through 2-3-4-5 to pick up the speed. Seems kinda dumb, even dangerous.

My neighbor has ML and he says engine is very noisy. He got a killer lease deal on it, but he does not like driving it.

Sorry, I'm on the negative side tonight, for some reason.

Quick Reply: 2010 Lexus RX 350 vs 2009 Acura MDX Sport