RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Has Anyone Driven a 2010 w/Sport Package?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-09, 09:08 AM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Has Anyone Driven a 2010 w/Sport Package?

OK, so I am interested in the Sport package. I know that they're supposed to be "rare."

I spoke with a dealer's fleet rep yesterday, who said she'd searched w/in a 250 mi radius, and no one has one with the Sport Package loaded.

I don't want to sell my three year old car, and buy a new $40K+ car, if the Sport Package gives me that elusive thing - handling! - that I'd like improved on the RX350 (especially cornering).

I'm totally willing to wait.

But it occurred to me that I hadn't seen any reviews of people who *have* driven the 2010 who claim to have driven one with the Sport Package.

Anyone????

Sandi
Old 04-20-09, 10:01 AM
DOUS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I heard about them was that the suspension was tuned a little differently.. a bit stiffer, but sorry, I haven't driven one yet.

Although I'm really digging the different finish on the wheels.. I ordered an ultra premium and although they come with the same wheels, I wished it came with the same finish.
Old 04-20-09, 08:08 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I too am interested in the Sport Package because it includes the Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management System. I want to get all the safety options available. I was told it will be June or later before Lexus is filling orders for RX with the Sport Package. Maybe sales will have leveled out then and better deals will be possible.
Old 04-20-09, 08:34 PM
DOUS
Pole Position

Oh well, I drove the ultra premium, which has the VDIM. It has all the sports package has, except for stiffer suspension and the nicer finish wheels...

I actually went and test drove during the last winterstorm just so I could test it out. It handled very well...

As you know it drives on Fronts and delivers torque on the rears as you need them...

When I drove on a snow covered road, you feel the rear slip a bit, but instantaneously, the VDIM kicked in and got a good grip of the road. It was pretty cool. It drove with confidence. I also did some fast cornering and it didn't slip at all.

Obviously its no offroader like my 4Runner Ltd with rear locking differentials, which is very capable, even in knee-high snow.

I think it was pretty good altogether.
Old 04-20-09, 09:01 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We were looking at the Sport Package as well but unfortunately the one we were going to drive was sold hours before we arrived.

Our sales guy, who's opinion and knowledge we trust, did ask his clients if he could take it for a quick drive so that he could be familiar with how it drove.

We had previously taken an Ultra Premium for a test drive, and in his opinion, there was no significant difference in the driving characteristics of the Sport vs. Ultra.

While the '10 RX is a huge improvement in handling and suspension, it is disappointing to hear that the "Sport" package doesn't really deliver for those looking for more out of the driving experience.
Old 04-20-09, 10:22 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUS
Oh well, I drove the ultra premium, which has the VDIM. It has all the sports package has, except for stiffer suspension and the nicer finish wheels...
So you can get the VDIM without getting the Sport Package? We could not care any less about the upgrade wheels or stiff suspension.
Old 04-21-09, 06:57 AM
DOUS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DNC
So you can get the VDIM without getting the Sport Package? We could not care any less about the upgrade wheels or stiff suspension.
In Canada you can.. I believe its true to all fully loaded RX.
Old 04-21-09, 07:17 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

If the RX is like any other Lexus or Toyota, the sport package is more form than function. There is some diff. in handling, but not as much as you would like. The only option that Lexus offer that really makes a diff. in handling is the APSSS in the GS line. APSSS is a computer control active suspension system.
Old 04-29-09, 11:49 AM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was expecting to feel the big difference between sport and non-sport. However, I didn't feel that way.

I test-drove
3 regular AWD RX (prem, navi, comf)
1 AWD RX with full-loaded packages (prem, navi, comf, lux, sport, rear ent)
1 AWD RX with sport package (prem, navi, comf, sport).

I did feel RX with the sport package had less body-rolling issues, but, be honest to you, I really couldn't feel it had stiff suspensions. Usually other sedans' sport and non-sport make the huge difference on riding, performance, handling, etc. But, RX isn't like that. IMO.

Perhaps, this is Lexus RX. You won't find the same driving passion on this vehicle as others (X5, Q5, Cayenne, etc), and Lexus probably will never make RX be like them. It's the way Lexus wants to go.
Old 04-29-09, 07:26 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

rets, that's helpful, thanks.

I want less body roll, but not a lot of stiffness in the frame. I drive an SUV with a stiff truck suspension, and it's one reason I'm in the market for a car again - I just had spinal surgery, and the truck suspension is not comfortable for longer drives.

Ssandi