RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Open Windows w/ Elec. Key?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-09, 06:46 PM
Carachi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my car in for the 30 day checkup (and to finally get the remote starter that I payed for when I bought it installed) and I asked the service dept to program the key for the window roll down. Works like a charm now with no issues.

Now my key has too many commands to remember
Old 05-10-09, 06:50 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carachi
I took my car in for the 30 day checkup (and to finally get the remote starter that I payed for when I bought it installed) and I asked the service dept to program the key for the window roll down. Works like a charm now with no issues.

Now my key has too many commands to remember
LOL.

I was wondering if I should get the remote starter, maybe I should have it which is pretty useful in winter.
Old 05-10-09, 07:08 PM
Carachi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rxets
LOL.

I was wondering if I should get the remote starter, maybe I should have it which is pretty useful in winter.
The remote starter feature is clearly meant to only warm up the car in the winter. To start the car you hit Lock, Lock then Lock for 3 seconds. Once the engine is on it will shut off if you unlock the car, hold lock for 2 seconds, open a door, leave it for more than 10 minutes and quite a few other things. There are also quite a few things that will prevent you from starting it remotely as well but I don't remember what they are off hand.

Basically if you think it would be useful to get the engine going as you approach the car, it won't help, since it shuts off as soon as you touch the door handle.

However on a snow day starting my car from the window by my office and having it warm as I walk down to the car will be quite handy.
Old 05-10-09, 08:03 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

The remote starter feature is clearly meant to only warm up the car in the winter. To start the car you hit Lock, Lock then Lock for 3 seconds. Once the engine is on it will shut off if you unlock the car, hold lock for 2 seconds, open a door, leave it for more than 10 minutes and quite a few other things. There are also quite a few things that will prevent you from starting it remotely as well but I don't remember what they are off hand.

Basically if you think it would be useful to get the engine going as you approach the car, it won't help, since it shuts off as soon as you touch the door handle.

However on a snow day starting my car from the window by my office and having it warm as I walk down to the car will be quite handy.
I'm thinking exactly the same scenario. Although we don't have the crazy snow as you may have, this is the convenient feature.

Since my RX doesn't come with the original factory-installed remote engine start, the dealer is asking $800-$1.1K for this feature installed in the dealer. This is crazy!!! If the RX is with this installed from the plant, it's only $375.
Old 05-10-09, 08:15 PM
Carachi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rxets
I'm thinking exactly the same scenario. Although we don't have the crazy snow as you may have, this is the convenient feature.

Since my RX doesn't come with the original factory-installed remote engine start, the dealer is asking $800-$1.1K for this feature installed in the dealer. This is crazy!!! If the RX is with this installed from the plant, it's only $375.
Lol, why does everyone think Denver is buried in snow from November to March. We got 3 real snow storms total this winter and a few light flurries as well.

The remote start should be 375 regardless. The part is never installed at the factory according to my dealer. Usually it is installed at the receiving dock in the US before the cars are distributed or by the dealer themselves. Either way it takes under 2 hours. It cost 375 on my original car invoice, but when I got the car they didn't have them in stock. Once the part was in the dealer installed it very fast. I don't see how your dealer can charge more than mine by almost triple considering mine was dealer installed.
Old 05-10-09, 08:25 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Lol, why does everyone think Denver is buried in snow from November to March. We got 3 real snow storms total this winter and a few light flurries as well.

The remote start should be 375 regardless. The part is never installed at the factory according to my dealer. Usually it is installed at the receiving dock in the US before the cars are distributed or by the dealer themselves. Either way it takes under 2 hours. It cost 375 on my original car invoice, but when I got the car they didn't have them in stock. Once the part was in the dealer installed it very fast. I don't see how your dealer can charge more than mine by almost triple considering mine was dealer installed.
Isn't CO the skiing heaven? I guess I have been misconceived. Well, Denver has been one of the major airports, where should have the pretty stable weather conditions.

Since I got the crazy price from the dealer, they try hard to get some $$ back. Or this particular SVC guy tried to play the game. The ext warranty for 2 additional years will cost $2K. This is rip-off. The price should be around $1K plus some insurance fee or extra charge.
Old 05-11-09, 05:59 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Just like the Nav lockout, the remorte starter is another case of Lexus letting their lawyers design cars. It is stupid to have to start the car again since its already started. There are many safe guard that Lexus can use instead of making the owner start the car again.
Old 05-12-09, 12:05 AM
Tiggerr
Driver

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm still awaiting from my dealer. I've left them a voicemail and shoot them an email. Guess what? No response yet. I'm very disappointed with the service they are giving me.