RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

The Mythical "Sport Package"

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-09, 06:25 AM
jjl12
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Mythical "Sport Package"

Has ANYONE seen a 3rd gen RX with Sport Package, and better yet, driven one? Curious as to feedback. Also, does anyone have a pic of the "19 x 7.5-in seven-spoke alloy wheels with Superchrome finish" that come with the Sport Package? I've bought all my cars with sport packages, can't imagine why Lexus would make this package so rare.
Old 04-29-09, 07:52 AM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like that alloy wheels, but I didn't feel any big difference when riding on Sport Package RX. Meanwhile, since it's rare, the discount range is minimal.

Lexus makes Sport package rare in NE region. But, I had the chance of test-driving 2 RX with Sport package. If you like to try it and you're nearby, PM me, I can tell you who's the vendor.

I also felt it's noiser than the standard wheels without the sport package.
Old 04-29-09, 08:08 AM
DOUS
Pole Position

The only think I really like about it are the different finish on the Alloy Wheels and better tires (Michelins as opposed to Bridgestones, I think).. other than that, my Ultra Premium has everything it has and then some.
Old 04-29-09, 08:24 AM
jjl12
Rookie

So the wheels are the same as the non-sport RX, but with a chrome finish? is the finish a standard silver chrome finish (not a fan) or a gunmetal finish? Was the car less prone to body roll while driving on curvy roads than the non-sport pack cars?
Old 04-29-09, 09:01 AM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Non-sport package (18") and sport package (19") are different alloy wheels. You can check RX website.
Old 04-29-09, 09:01 AM
VForce
Driver School Candidate

I did not see the sport package up here in the NW but my RX did come with 19in Wheels and Michelin tires.
Old 04-29-09, 10:27 AM
DOUS
Pole Position

Standard Wheels: 18"

Upgraded Wheels (touring package and Ultra Premium pckg in Canada): 19"

Sports Package Wheels: 19"
Old 04-29-09, 10:53 AM
jjl12
Rookie

awesome post Dous, thanks. I will definitely be ordering the sport pack if i pull trigger on the RX, those rims really add to the car.
Old 04-29-09, 11:19 AM
DOUS
Pole Position

Yeah. The sports wheels have a slight "gun metal" look to it, which I like a lot. But it's still lacking the features that I wanted, like the rear DVD for my kids. Wish there's a way for me to swap wheels.. or better yet I could look into aftermarket, but will it affect the TPM?
Old 04-29-09, 11:23 AM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I asked this question last week. Not a lot of ringing endorsements....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...t-package.html

Sandi
Old 04-29-09, 11:30 AM
Btmnk21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DOUS
Yeah. The sports wheels have a slight "gun metal" look to it, which I like a lot. But it's still lacking the features that I wanted, like the rear DVD for my kids. Wish there's a way for me to swap wheels.. or better yet I could look into aftermarket, but will it affect the TPM?
I'm looking into swapping (exchanging as I'm told it's called) the factory 18's for the chrome 19's. I have asked my salesman and I'll post what I learn.

In my mind if they make the switch right off the truck or boat then it shouldn't be a problem. I'll just have to fork over the difference, right? The factory wheels are not used or anything.
Old 04-29-09, 12:18 PM
snow001
Driver School Candidate

We wanted the 19" tires as well however could not find it in a vehicle that did not have the luxury package (lux. package equiped car was quite elusive as well) We did not want the sports package just the 19" tires but could not find one in current dealer stock. Looks very nice though and I would like to inquire about "swapping" as well.
Old 04-29-09, 01:00 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

if you live on the west coast, it would be a lot easier for you to find. this was ust like the second gen with the performance package.

the idea there is that the sports package comes with performance tires which dont bode well in your guys' snowy climate
Old 04-29-09, 01:48 PM
snow001
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RXSF
the idea there is that the sports package comes with performance tires which dont bode well in your guys' snowy climate
Thank you for pointing this out. I did not think of this and this makes perfect sense. I was just after the looks of the 19" tires and did not even think about the availability of all weather tires for the corresponding rim size.

Going with the stock 18" tires is not a bad idea after all.
Old 04-29-09, 03:25 PM
DOUS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by snow001
Going with the stock 18" tires is not a bad idea after all.
Unless you're planning on swapping snow tires/wheels during winter.. which I normally do. In my other cars I normally buy a second (better) set of wheels with summer tires, then put on winter tires on the stock wheels.

Quick Reply: The Mythical "Sport Package"