RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Parking brake doesn't hold in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-09, 06:05 AM
ajs
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Parking brake doesn't hold in reverse

The other day I backed out of my garage and didn't notice that the parking brake was still engaged. The car rolled out without a problem.

Only when I put it in drive did I realize that the parking brake was on, since the car didn't roll forward. I also got an audible alarm.

Has anybody experienced this?
Old 04-30-09, 10:41 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

very interesting, i havent heard of such a thing.
Old 05-02-09, 07:25 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 502 Likes on 380 Posts

It is not uncommon. I have had other cars that roled with ease in reverse and would not budge when putting it in drive bue to the parking break.
Old 05-02-09, 10:32 AM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

'10RX350 isn't using the electric parking brake, right?

I couldn't understand how this happened on '10RX. This will be dangerous, especially when parked on an incline.

Last edited by rxets; 05-02-09 at 11:27 AM. Reason: '10RX
Old 05-02-09, 11:13 AM
Btmnk21
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very strange. Parking brake is usually a mechanical system that forces the calipers to grab the rotor. Forward or backward should not make a difference.

Must be using some other system?
Old 05-02-09, 11:23 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

With the old drum brakes, this was very common. They had a "self energizing" feature which when the shoes contacted the drum they were pulled into the drum by lever action. The self energizing only worked going forward, so in reverse, the brakes were not as effective. Even with this feature, there was plenty force available to keep the car from rolling downhill, but not enough to resist the force of the car in reverse. I just tried this on my ES350 and got similar results. I could force it to back out of the garage, but there was a lot more resistance to pulling forward.

I would not worry about the RX parking brake, it is certainly fine for its intended purpose.

Steve
Old 05-03-09, 08:20 AM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with Oldcajun. The parking break of course uses just the rear brakes
to hold the car. All my past cars have moved in reverse with the brake on, but held the car just fine "parked on a hill".

I think that's why the name has now evolved from "EMERGENCY BRAKE" to parking brake.
Old 05-03-09, 11:13 AM
RXSF

i think it depends on how far the parking brake was depresed. if it was just one click, i can see it reversing just fine, if it was more than half way down and this still happened, then im guessing its a safety mechanism involving being in gear.
Old 05-03-09, 11:21 AM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Now, even RX uses discs as the rear brakes, does the car have moved in reverse?

As RXSF said, if the driver makes the parking brake even further, more than 2 clicks, will this hold the car?

Thanks.

(I got to try some other cars. I really don't recall...)
Old 05-04-09, 05:57 PM
ajs
Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF
i think it depends on how far the parking brake was depresed. if it was just one click, i can see it reversing just fine, if it was more than half way down and this still happened, then im guessing its a safety mechanism involving being in gear.
You're right. The issue was that I had pressed down the brake only half way. When I press the brake all the way down, then it holds in reverse as well. Thanks!!!
Old 05-04-09, 06:14 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ajs
You're right. The issue was that I had pressed down the brake only half way. When I press the brake all the way down, then it holds in reverse as well. Thanks!!!
Glad to know it's working out for you. Tell you the truth, this was never the issue to me because I always pulled or pressed more than half way down. That's why this "is" the news to me.

Then, I tested on 5 cars yesterday and today, and found out none of cars are moving backward. This almost drives me crazy.
Old 05-29-09, 03:34 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

As I said I usually step on the parking brake until many clicks down to make sure it will hold my car and reduce the wear-and-tear on my P gear. However, when doing so, as long as I'm not parking on the flat and level roads, I'll hear the terrible brake-release sounds after setting the brake free.

Maybe RX is too heavy or this is how Lexus designs its brakes.
Old 05-29-09, 10:13 PM
RXSF

yes, on my 04 RX, even if i pushed it down the max, the car still lurches forward and i get those creaking sounds when im on a steap hill (which is often in San Francisco)
Old 03-04-16, 02:38 PM
JaimeEnr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking brake doesn't hold in reverse

Yes. I have the same problem. Lexus dealer states it is normal, it is ok.. In my opinion, it is not ok !
Old 03-05-16, 06:09 AM
carguy75
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by ajs
The other day I backed out of my garage and didn't notice that the parking brake was still engaged. The car rolled out without a problem.

Only when I put it in drive did I realize that the parking brake was on, since the car didn't roll forward. I also got an audible alarm.

Has anybody experienced this?
Your parking brake-pedal tension may need to be adjusted.

Usually it can be adjusted by a screw-type adjuster near the parking brake foot pedal in the dash, and in the rear rotor itself.

Usually a parking brake is set to apply full tension with in 3-4 clicks when the parking-brake pedal is pressed to the floor.

The dash mounted pedal adjuster is the easier to adjust.

I found a Honda/Acura parking brake adjustment video(I assume it would be similar for the RX), but could not find one for Lexus.

No surprise since not many Lexus owners ever really fix their own cars it seems.

I guess most Lexus owners have better things to do with their time like making enough money to being able to afford a Lexus in the first place.

Last edited by carguy75; 03-05-16 at 06:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Parking brake doesn't hold in reverse