RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Hello! And a few questions from a newb.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-09, 09:20 AM
skoobz2001
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello! And a few questions from a newb.

Hi everyone - nice to find such an active Lexus forum!

My wife drives an 07 IS250 AWD, and I drive an 08 Jeep GC SRT-8. We're expecting our first child in September. As such, I'm thinking about switching out the IS for the '10 RX 350. We drove one yesterday and liked it - I was impressed with the power compared to the IS. The dealership didn't have any stock on the Ultra Premium Package which is what I really wanted to see.

My questions are:
1) How do car seats fit in these vehicles, and is the cargo space sufficient for all the crap we'll have to haul around with a baby? I sit far back, but this will be my wife's DD so I won't be driving it a lot. Also, how are the back seats for taking the car seats in and out? (We're getting an Orbit Baby seat that docks on a base and on the stroller so you don't have to carry around one of each.)
2) The IS 250 is a lease with about 2 years left. The dealership is willing to work with me on getting out of that lease, and into the RX - but what do you think I'll be looking at in terms of penalties for getting out of the IS lease 2 years early? (The IS has about 20000 km on it, and the monthly lease payment is about $800 at a rate of 4.9%.) I'd be looking at the 48 month lease at 3.9%, or might consider financing it over 48 months.
3) Are the options on the Ultra Premium package worth the $5000 it costs over and above the Sport Package? I do like the idea of the Levinson audio system but am more swayed by stuff like the Wide-View Side monitor system and the Parking Assist.
4) What are the options for remote start? Do they comprimise the "unstealability" of the car?

Thanks!
Old 05-06-09, 11:08 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

welcome to the forum!

i can really only comment of two things. the cargo area is more than enough to haul family stuff, it has the largest cargo capacity of all the three generations of RX. THe remote start will not increase the stealability of the car because the engine shuts off once the door is opened. Plus, without the proximaty key around, the door will not be opened.
Old 05-06-09, 12:12 PM
johnpg
Rookie

Originally Posted by skoobz2001
Hi everyone - nice to find such an active Lexus forum!
My questions are:
1) How do car seats fit in these vehicles, and is the cargo space sufficient for all the crap we'll have to haul around with a baby? I sit far back, but this will be my wife's DD so I won't be driving it a lot. Also, how are the back seats for taking the car seats in and out? (We're getting an Orbit Baby seat that docks on a base and on the stroller so you don't have to carry around one of each.)
The RX, and most (all?) new cars have the latch system. That makes it really easy to install a car seat. I have a two year old daughter and am 6'3" tall and there's plenty of room. As another poster said there's a lot of room in the back for everything you'd need.

3) Are the options on the Ultra Premium package worth the $5000 it costs over and above the Sport Package? I do like the idea of the Levinson audio system but am more swayed by stuff like the Wide-View Side monitor system and the Parking Assist.
Parking assist is really hard to get. Although different areas have different things. I didn't end up getting that as it just wasn't available. I do have the Lux package with the side-view monitor. The jury is still out on whether it's useful or not, but I'm happy I have it. I think the Lux package is worth it, as is the comfort. But it all boils down to what you need/want, and how long you're willing to wait.

Cheers,
John
Old 05-06-09, 03:30 PM
Alfalover
Driver School Candidate

The New RX is a good family-oriented SUV. You have enough space for your baby and all the gear you want to take with you. The package you are interested in is expensive, and what your dealer will give you on a lease return for the IS will probably not make you happy. You are probably upside down on the lease since the value of the vehicle is not close to what is left owing on the lease.
Wait until the end of the year before making any deals.
Old 05-06-09, 07:35 PM
skoobz2001
Driver School Candidate

Heard back from the dealer - negative equity on the lease is $5400. Would add about $100 to the lease on the RX to bury it, or pay it out and have a lower lease payment. Said he could have a granite mica or black lux package by the end of July.

Decisions, decisions!
Old 05-06-09, 09:09 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

$5400 is $100 a month extra?

Not on a lease, unless it's a 60 month lease.
Old 05-07-09, 08:15 AM
skoobz2001
Driver School Candidate

IF I PAY OUT the $5400, the RX lease would be $997 a month. If I bury it, it's $1122 a month. The $100 was actually me comparing it to the current monthly lease on the IS, and I rounded $150 down to $100 to placate myself and rationalize making the change!
Old 08-15-09, 07:04 AM
louielouie
Driver School Candidate

Default baby seat

does anyone know if the rear seat can go down in a 2010 RX 350 once the infant seat base is installed?
Old 08-20-09, 02:56 PM
RXTexas
Driver School Candidate

- Baby seat fits fine in the back. I'm 6' 2" and keep the driver seat all the way back and there is plenty of room. We have installed the car seat in the middle and there is even enought room for 2 adult passengers and you are able to put on seat belts.
- Remote start is a nice feature but not a must have. It came on my RX and I've used a few time. As for stealing when remote started, the engine shuts off when any door is opened.
- Althought not huge, the cargo area has plenty of room to haul stroller, etc...
- If you have time to order, you can order the ML without having to order the Ultra. In my opinion the ML is worth the extra 1600. I almost bought the Ultra for the leather upgrade and folding mirrors but I have been very happy with standard leather.
- The rear seats are a 1/3 , 2/3 split. We have our seat in the center and can't fold down the seats. If you install car seat on the 2/3 side, you may be able to fold down the 1/3 side. Not sure.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-20-09, 02:57 PM
RXTexas
Driver School Candidate

One more thing...I'm coming from a sedan and I find the RX a little hard to park and back out. I do wish I had park assist. This should be standard on all Lexus.
Old 08-20-09, 03:34 PM
jskennedy
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my 4yr old's seat fits fine behind passenger seat & latches behind the rear seat

however, to keep my son from being able to kick the rear seat, i have to slide the front passenger seat all the way forward

the rear seat is in 3 sections & 2 of the sections can be folded down w/ a child seat installed