RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
View Poll Results: is engine noise of 2010 RX350
Normal
39.62%
little noisy
24.53%
too much noisy
28.30%
that's the way it suppose to be.
7.55%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

what is your opinion about engine and road noise?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-09, 10:15 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

rxets, good point. As Lexus keep making more horespower from this 3.5 liter engine, the end product is a noisier engine. I am still surprise Lexus havent upgarde the RX's engine to direct injection yet.
Old 05-11-09, 11:36 AM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I hated the most is the car makers hide the info and hurry up to push the old technology into the markets. For example, this year Q5 in Europe seems to have S-tronic tranny, but the one in US doesn't have. Lexus made new GS300 in '06 but there was the newer engine in Toyota series already in the same year. In the end, Lexus made the upgrade to GS350 in '07. Perhaps, many of ppl don't care about this, but I do. I love to buy the new design vehicle in 1st year.
Old 05-11-09, 12:49 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

rxets, if car manufacturer tells you, for example, the RX will be getting the direct injection 305HP 3.5L engine in 6 months. How do you think that will affect the current RX's sales numbers, Lexus would lose millions by that slip of tougue.
Old 05-11-09, 02:07 PM
Audriuss
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rxets
What I hated the most is the car makers hide the info and hurry up to push the old technology into the markets. For example, this year Q5 in Europe seems to have S-tronic tranny, but the one in US doesn't have. Lexus made new GS300 in '06 but there was the newer engine in Toyota series already in the same year. In the end, Lexus made the upgrade to GS350 in '07. Perhaps, many of ppl don't care about this, but I do. I love to buy the new design vehicle in 1st year.

in EUROPE u can't get GS in 3,5l engine. only GS300/430/450h are awailable. Also, no AWD for GS or IS..even for facelifted models...
Old 05-11-09, 02:34 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man
rxets, if car manufacturer tells you, for example, the RX will be getting the direct injection 305HP 3.5L engine in 6 months. How do you think that will affect the current RX's sales numbers, Lexus would lose millions by that slip of tougue.
They shouldn't even make this 276 HP 3.5L engine to RX this year.

Anyway, it's their decision. I couldn't do anything to it. As long as they don't make Toyota SUV come with that V6, I'm fine with it. I don't care about the Toyota/Lexus sedans now.
Old 05-11-09, 02:41 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Toyota used to classify vehicles/countries according to nations' economy. That's how they become one of top makers in the world. Sometimes their strategies are nasty. IMO.
Old 05-12-09, 09:48 AM
vicara
Driver School Candidate

mine is not normal. the service dept kept my vehicle for almost 3 weeks after which the annoying noise remains the same. i tried another demo after i got mine and its so much less noisy. Lexus, being regarded a luxury car (or is it?) should have NOT put out something like this in the first place. Now I have tons of regrets/disappointments picking Lexus, so much so that I will hold off future upgrades for the wife, daughter, relatives and friends.

That statement does not even make me feel better...
Old 05-12-09, 09:54 AM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vicara
mine is not normal. the service dept kept my vehicle for almost 3 weeks after which the annoying noise remains the same. i tried another demo after i got mine and its so much less noisy. Lexus, being regarded a luxury car (or is it?) should have NOT put out something like this in the first place. Now I have tons of regrets/disappointments picking Lexus, so much so that I will hold off future upgrades for the wife, daughter, relatives and friends.

That statement does not even make me feel better...
Sorry to hear that Lexus couldn't fix it for you. It's been 4 weeks now? Have you checked if this qualifies Lemon Law? When getting your RX, you should receive the book about Lemon Laws in all states. Did you ask yet?
Old 05-12-09, 12:39 PM
flatrocky
Driver School Candidate

The other thing that i am noticing that most of us have low millage on our rxs. therefore the motor is not broken yet. because day by day the engine sound is getting better. either it is the better gas or the computer is adjusting accordingly. i do feel like that it is better sounding than 3 weeks ago. or may be it is the warm weather but it does beginning to sound normal now. i still have less than 1k kms. will know the real picture after the first service.
Old 05-12-09, 12:51 PM
vicara
Driver School Candidate

i already emailed 2 letters to the Pres of the dealership followed by a phone call after the first. Obviously he arranged for my 4th visit with the service dept. I was even told a rep from the regional level will show up to diagnose/test drive my car. 3 days now but my last letter has not been acknowledged. I intend to bring this to Lexus corporate, if necessary all the way to Japan. If this is the quality of Lexus then they better recant their "In Pursuit of Perfection" slogan.

Then I will get hold of a lawyer...that is if this abnormal/excessive noise is covered by the CA Lemon Law
Old 05-12-09, 01:06 PM
flatrocky
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vicara
i already emailed 2 letters to the pres of the dealership followed by a phone call after the first. Obviously he arranged for my 4th visit with the service dept. I was even told a rep from the regional level will show up to diagnose/test drive my car. 3 days now but my last letter has not been acknowledged. I intend to bring this to lexus corporate, if necessary all the way to japan. If this is the quality of lexus then they better recant their "in pursuit of perfection" slogan.

Then i will get hold of a lawyer...that is if this abnormal/excessive noise is covered by the ca lemon law
please keep us posted how does the ," in pursuit of perfection" goes?
Old 05-15-09, 10:35 AM
Junkxus
Rookie

Sorry to hear that Lexus still did not remedy the noise issue. I had the same complaint with both my 2008 RX's, (see my posts) I added extra sound absorbing material, and it was still not luxury quiet. I have read that the 2010 should be better. I dumped the RX and got BMW X5, it has been over a year and the car is awsome. I check into this forum to see if anyone else has issues. The root of your problem like mine, the RX is based on a front drive economy car (Camry) and its' roots can not be hidden. The RX,ES are not luxury class models, just rebadged economy based cars, with an upgraded interior. The X5 is alot more money than the RX, but believe me you do get what you pay for!! The RX and ES target market is to people moving from Honda and Toyota. The RX is quiet when compared to those. When you move from a German models to a RX or ES they are not.
Old 05-15-09, 10:53 AM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Junkxus
Sorry to hear that Lexus still did not remedy the noise issue. I had the same complaint with both my 2008 RX's, (see my posts) I added extra sound absorbing material, and it was still not luxury quiet. I have read that the 2010 should be better. I dumped the RX and got BMW X5, it has been over a year and the car is awsome. I check into this forum to see if anyone else has issues. The root of your problem like mine, the RX is based on a front drive economy car (Camry) and its' roots can not be hidden. The RX,ES are not luxury class models, just rebadged economy based cars, with an upgraded interior. The X5 is alot more money than the RX, but believe me you do get what you pay for!! The RX and ES target market is to people moving from Honda and Toyota. The RX is quiet when compared to those. When you move from a German models to a RX or ES they are not.
I'm not against X5... We love it more than MB SUV. I thought X5 is louder than RX. And, many of dirvers and reviews say '10RX is louder than its predecessors. Dunno.

I know everyone has the varied preferences. We didn't get X5 due to its interior, Navi, and inquiet-ness.
Old 05-15-09, 11:52 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Well, there is a difference, the X5's engine noise, or should I say exhaust note is design to be noticable on purpose. While Lexus trys very hard to reduce the RX's engine noise.
The RX and the X5 are in difference class, no need to compare them, the last time I check, the X5 was $20,000 more.
I do agree with you rxets, the X5's interior is terrible, cold and uninvting. The new gen of i-drive is better, but still not as good as the Lexus' controls.
Old 05-15-09, 12:50 PM
Btmnk21
Pole Position

1 full day of driving, highway, retail areas, and back roads:

Cabin noise very low. Minor wind noise when it gusted.

Road noise: there was some low level humming coming from the tires. Nothing major, but I could hear it with the radio off. Sort of like that honda civic commerical but much lower.

Engine noise: I hear it turn on, I hear it rev up when I accelerate quickly. Other than that I don't hear much.

Keep at it Vicara. My car came with a copy of my lemon laws. Look in your leather binder.

Quick Reply: what is your opinion about engine and road noise?