RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Address Books! No password protection!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-09, 07:06 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Address Books! No password protection!?

I'm unable to find this, and cannot find it on Owner's Manual, either.

Does anyone know how-to? I cannot imagine this car doesn't have this feature.

Thanks very much.

Sometimes I have to give a key to valet parking, I don't want anyone to see my address books. (I have set "Home" a few blocks away...)
Old 05-09-09, 11:40 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rxets

Thanks very much.

Sometimes I have to give a key to valet parking, I don't want anyone to see my address books. (I have set "Home" a few blocks away...)
So you'd like to enter your password every time you wanted to get into your address book? Or set it every time you valet your car? Not seeing the value of this feature and it sounds like it's more trouble than it's worth from a usability perspective.

I've owned a lot of lux cars from a lot of manuf and none of them have had a password on the address book. 2010 RX350 doesn't have it either.

If they really want to find your place, they'll just break into your glovebox, assuming you lock it, and read your registration info. Easy way to fix the problem, never leave house keys on the keychain when you valet the car and be sure you turn on your home alarm when you leave the house.

In the end though... RX is an entry level lux SUV. Doubtful you'll be at the top of the target list if a bunch of thieves posing as valets are breaking into people's homes.
Old 05-10-09, 10:54 AM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Default OK, I know it now. Lexus doesn't have this option.

Originally Posted by tazdevl
So you'd like to enter your password every time you wanted to get into your address book? Or set it every time you valet your car? Not seeing the value of this feature and it sounds like it's more trouble than it's worth from a usability perspective.

I've owned a lot of lux cars from a lot of manuf and none of them have had a password on the address book. 2010 RX350 doesn't have it either.

If they really want to find your place, they'll just break into your glovebox, assuming you lock it, and read your registration info. Easy way to fix the problem, never leave house keys on the keychain when you valet the car and be sure you turn on your home alarm when you leave the house.

In the end though... RX is an entry level lux SUV. Doubtful you'll be at the top of the target list if a bunch of thieves posing as valets are breaking into people's homes.
You think it too much. I just simply want to know if there is any.

Yes, they can break into the glvoebox, they can check if you have any registration info/sticker hidden in any open slots. However, you'd like to make them hard to get it, right? Ppl will put the club/alarm to make those theives think it over and spend more time to do so. Those club/alarm won't completely prevent your car from being stolen, but club/alarm will give thieves "a little" trouble and make themselves consider if they have enough time and energy to steal yours.

Just like your home alarm, will it be able to prevent?

"Password" isn't necessary, but they can make it as an option. If ppl don't like it, don't use it. Is everybody always utilizing all the features on the car? Nope.

I just want to know if '10RX has it or not. If yes, please tell me how-to. Really appreciated. If not, it's fine, no big deal.
Old 05-10-09, 03:45 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

back in 2003 with my sales person, she told me to list home as like a block away so that in the event of getting lost, you can use the "home" memory feature to lead you back to familiar roads
Old 05-10-09, 10:03 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

No password protection.
Old 05-12-09, 10:16 AM
snow001
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Several months ago, a valet from a restaurant in Long Island NY took the car of one of their customers then used the navigation to map the vehicle owner's house. Made a pitstop along the way and picked up one of this friends. Together they used the garage door interface to gain entry to the garage area of the house where their other car, a Porsche was parked. In the end they stole the current car (was not a lexus) and the Porsche plus some of the garage's contents. I live in the same tri-state area (NY/NJ/CT) and would like to have the password feature as well. Thieve's here will steal anything.
The garage opener and open address list just makes it too easy for them. Having additional security filters out the small time crooks from the Pros. And although I agree that if someone really wanted to steal your car they can really do so, having extra security features and pre-cautions at times is enough to discourage would be thieves.
Old 05-12-09, 10:45 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

but why on earth would you put your own exact address into the car? at least put your next door neighbors, haha
Old 05-12-09, 01:00 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF
but why on earth would you put your own exact address into the car? at least put your next door neighbors, haha
Although we did enter the neighbor's address or some faked one a few blocks away, ppl can drive the cars around blocks and streets as well as keep pressing the homelink buttons until one of garage door is open.
Old 05-12-09, 07:02 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rxets

Thanks very much.

For all the reasons above...I don't let a valet ever park my 50K car. Too many other bad things could happen as well. For the same reasons, in shopping centers, I park far away from the doors and in the open, and walk.

It works for me!
Old 05-12-09, 07:19 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 4482
For all the reasons above...I don't let a valet ever park my 50K car. Too many other bad things could happen as well. For the same reasons, in shopping centers, I park far away from the doors and in the open, and walk.

It works for me!
LOL. Let's not talk about PW, but talk about parking.

In a few routine parking garages I usually use, 40% more of vehicles, at least, are more expensive than RX. Perhaps, I should not worry anything about PW protection because ppl would prefer to stealing those instead of my tiny RX, right?

For parking in the lots of shopping ctrs, parking further away from the entrances may keep away from dings and dents but might increase the chance of getting your car stolen. Everything could take place in NY.