RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Interior issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-09, 06:24 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by rxets
Just checked mine under the sun light in the parking lot, and by LED flashlight in the garage.

I found out my wood accents on Steering Wheel and Shift **** are the same color with dark Brown Walnut. Then, other pieces of wood on the car are the same color with slightly dark brown walnut. Anyway, 2 colors on my car, but they're almost the same.

This makes sense due to wood steering wheel and shift **** are optional accessories. Other pieces are assembled in the plant when cars are built. The whole walnet tree isn't always the same color based on the environment, sunlight, soil, breed, etc. There is no guarantee of the same part of tree.
So you guys are ok with different color wood on a $45000 car? To me, thats a sign that Lexus is getting lazy. They didnt QC the steering wheel wood vs the wood trims in the car. There are other models in the Lexus lineup that have optional wood steering wheel and the wood match perfectly.
Old 05-12-09, 06:52 AM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
So you guys are ok with different color wood on a $45000 car? To me, thats a sign that Lexus is getting lazy. They didnt QC the steering wheel wood vs the wood trims in the car. There are other models in the Lexus lineup that have optional wood steering wheel and the wood match perfectly.
I'll pisx-ofx if there are 2 tones of colors.

My car's wood color is almost the same, I don't have problems to it. Otherwise, I really don't know what to do.

How're other Lexus models' situations?
Old 05-17-09, 10:45 AM
flatrocky
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kiddofun
I was wondering about the illumination of the ceiling buttons as well. I thought maybe I had a bulb out. Yes, it is difficult to find the right garage door button at night. It is also difficult just to find the right button to turn on the light! Is everyone else's like this?
take a look at the following page. Glow in dark tape.

http://shop.ebay.ca/items/?_nkw=glow...dark&_osacat=0
Old 05-17-09, 10:59 AM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Red face

Originally Posted by flatrocky
take a look at the following page. Glow in dark tape.

http://shop.ebay.ca/items/?_nkw=glow...dark&_osacat=0
This is good idea. I have been using the similar material and cut the tiny piece which is adhered to each homelink button.

But, I still believe Lexus should make the change in the future. This design is too inconvenient. The small LED will work it out.
Old 05-17-09, 11:12 AM
flatrocky
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rxets
This is good idea. I have been using the similar material and cut the tiny piece which is adhered to each homelink button.

But, I still believe Lexus should make the change in the future. This design is too inconvenient. The small LED will work it out.
you mean drilling whole through to the main interior light? the subject buttons do have led but it turns on after the button is pressed. i think that same led can be changed with 2 color led bulb. one color stays on all the time and the second color comes on after the button is pressed. same as the blackberry led changes colors to represent different messages. at the same time, all three button can be represented by the different led colors, just to make it fancy. or the existing led can be hot wired in the resting position so that it is on all the time rather than pressing it. however i do agree with you that lexus should have taken care of this quirk, which is minor issue for them but annoying for the customer.

Last edited by flatrocky; 05-17-09 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-16-09, 11:54 PM
guitarnyc
Driver School Candidate

I'm glad to find that I'm not the only one bothered by the 2 wood colors in the car. I have the Obsidian with Parchment Perforated Leather with Brown Walnut Accent and the steering wheel and gear shift **** are clearly a different color than the other wood accents in the car. I find it quite ugly and try not to focus on it when I'm in the car. I probably would've gone without the wood steering wheel and gear shift had I known this is what they'd look like
Old 09-17-09, 05:46 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

So much for Lexus using the same tree to make the wood panels in a car. It is cheaper for them to contract out the wood in the steering wheel and the shift ****. Lexus use to have the nicest wood panels, now a days, I cant even tell if the wood panels are real anymore.
Old 09-17-09, 05:52 AM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mpatel77
I recently purchased a 2010 lexus rx350 with black interior/gray exterior and have come across two issues. I confirmed with a friend who has the same problems and purchased the vehicle from the same dealer so not sure if it is just our cars. The first issue is that the wood grain on the steering wheel and door panels do not match. Thanks
Just noticed it. I'm going to bring it up with the dealer. If they are no help... I'm going to bring it up with Lexus.
Old 09-17-09, 07:26 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

So much for Lexus using the same tree to make the wood panels in a car. It is cheaper for them to contract out the wood in the steering wheel and the shift ****. Lexus use to have the nicest wood panels, now a days, I cant even tell if the wood panels are real anymore.
This is a surprise given how little wood is in the car now. I told my dealer I wanted something different because I'm tired of the dark walnut. It doesn't even look that nice anymore. But it is what it is. BTW, my '10 RX will not have the wood steering wheel and shift
Old 09-17-09, 08:43 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kitlz
This is a surprise given how little wood is in the car now. I told my dealer I wanted something different because I'm tired of the dark walnut. It doesn't even look that nice anymore. But it is what it is. BTW, my '10 RX will not have the wood steering wheel and shift
Lexus is using less and less wood in their new design, thats not surprising considering the cost of those wood panels. I prefer less wood anyways, too much wood makes the interior look cheap. Lexus use to have a real nice dark walnut panel, now a days, they just look like the cheap plastic one on the MDX. I know Lexus use real wood but the quality is not what it use to be.
Old 09-17-09, 09:31 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Lexus is using less and less wood in their new design, thats not surprising considering the cost of those wood panels. I prefer less wood anyways, too much wood makes the interior look cheap. Lexus use to have a real nice dark walnut panel, now a days, they just look like the cheap plastic one on the MDX. I know Lexus use real wood but the quality is not what it use to be.
I agree. The quality has gone down in the past few years. It's not as bad as the Venza but it is looking too plasticy and fake. And I'm glad there is less wood in the '10. But I will probably change out what little there is.
Old 09-17-09, 10:40 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Isn’t the Venza using plastic wood panels? I can remember my old LS and my old GX, the wood was glorious back then. With the new RX and my 08 GS, I sometimes knock on the wood if see if its real, it sure looks plastic to me.
Old 09-17-09, 01:27 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Isn’t the Venza using plastic wood panels? I can remember my old LS and my old GX, the wood was glorious back then. With the new RX and my 08 GS, I sometimes knock on the wood if see if its real, it sure looks plastic to me.
Venza is cheap, bad plastic. Have you checked that stupid pattern on the leather seats and dash? Ugh!

Getting back to the RX, I'd say the wood grains in my '04 are ok, maybe not altogether natural looking. Can't remember my '99, which funny enough, I had extra wood trim pieces in. They faded. Don't have my '10 yet to compare. But I think I'm done with the Lexus OE wood trim. At least there is an upside - not as many pieces to replace
Old 09-19-09, 04:53 AM
jclem
Pole Position

I was sorry to see the reduced amount of wood in the new RX vs Gen 2. I like wood. In fact, I hunted down an ALL-WOOD shift **** for mine 'cuz I hated the look and feel of the leather-wood combo. Fortunately, all the wood in mine matches very well. I'd be pissed if it didn't match.
Old 09-19-09, 06:31 AM
pvo
Lead Lap

I just checked out the RX350 and 450H yesterday. I was surprised they don't have much woods. Also there's a cheap plastic thing around the nav screen.

Quick Reply: Interior issues