RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Interior issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-09, 12:32 PM
mpatel77
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior issues

I recently purchased a 2010 lexus rx350 with black interior/gray exterior and have come across two issues. I confirmed with a friend who has the same problems and purchased the vehicle from the same dealer so not sure if it is just our cars. The first issue is that the wood grain on the steering wheel and door panels do not match. The second issue is that the area around the homelink and moonroof do not illuminate during nightime driving. I have two garage doors so its hard to know which button im pressing at night and same goes for the moonroof as far opening and closing it. The reading and center lights just arent cutting it to see what im pressing. Has anyone else had these problems????

Thanks
Old 05-10-09, 12:36 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 517 Likes on 386 Posts

It sounds like Lexus chose not to illuminate the area.

As far as the wood not matching, ask the dealer and see what they say
Old 05-10-09, 05:20 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum.

Did you have your dealer adding extra wood materials? My factory-installed wood parts seem tight and firm. I saw the dealership's demo RX has extra wood stuff, which has the similar issues as you described.
Old 05-10-09, 06:36 PM
Carachi
Driver School Candidate

What color interior do you have?

My Starfire + Grey has the wood steering weel/shifters and it definitely matches the doors and center console. All the wood is the same darker wood color.
Old 05-10-09, 06:44 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Carachi

My Starfire + Grey has the wood steering weel/shifters and it definitely matches the doors and center console. All the wood is the same darker wood color.
I love to get the light gray leather with espresso bird-eye maple, I believe that combo is great. But, the exterior color my wife chose has no espresso wood, the Brown Walnut to me seems a little too red.
Old 05-10-09, 07:58 PM
mpatel77
Driver School Candidate

No, its the factory installed wood for the steering wheel/shifter and door panels. The color on the door panels is the brown walnut accent as stated on the lexus website, but the steering wheel/shifter looks off. Thanks for the reply.

Did you have your dealer adding extra wood materials? My factory-installed wood parts seem tight and firm. I saw the dealership's demo RX has extra wood stuff, which has the similar issues as you described.[/QUOTE]
Old 05-10-09, 08:01 PM
mpatel77
Driver School Candidate

I have the black interior with brown walnut accent. Ill have to ask the dealer about this bc its definitely not the same. Thanks

My Starfire + Grey has the wood steering weel/shifters and it definitely matches the doors and center console. All the wood is the same darker wood color.[/QUOTE]
Old 05-10-09, 08:11 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mpatel77
No, its the factory installed wood for the steering wheel/shifter and door panels. The color on the door panels is the brown walnut accent as stated on the lexus website, but the steering wheel/shifter looks off. Thanks for the reply.

Did you have your dealer adding extra wood materials? My factory-installed wood parts seem tight and firm. I saw the dealership's demo RX has extra wood stuff, which has the similar issues as you described.
Mine is also black leather with brown walnut. I will double-check my color tomorrow.

Some dealers' sale reps will even say that your car's wood accents are from the single tree. They claim this makes sure the color of all pieces matched.

Dunno.
Old 05-11-09, 07:53 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wood on Steering Wheel Doesn't Match

I've driven several 2008 and 2009 RX's as loaners from my dealership. I noticed the same thing. The steering wheel wood was DEFINITELY not the same color as the other wood in the vehicle. I know the wood in the 2010 is different (much better looking IMO), but this may be a problem they've had for a while now.
Old 05-11-09, 08:26 AM
kiddofun
Driver School Candidate

I was wondering about the illumination of the ceiling buttons as well. I thought maybe I had a bulb out. Yes, it is difficult to find the right garage door button at night. It is also difficult just to find the right button to turn on the light! Is everyone else's like this?
Old 05-11-09, 08:38 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Shame on Lexus for offering a steering wheel with different wood.
Old 05-11-09, 03:39 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Just checked mine under the sun light in the parking lot, and by LED flashlight in the garage.

I found out my wood accents on Steering Wheel and Shift **** are the same color with dark Brown Walnut. Then, other pieces of wood on the car are the same color with slightly dark brown walnut. Anyway, 2 colors on my car, but they're almost the same.

This makes sense due to wood steering wheel and shift **** are optional accessories. Other pieces are assembled in the plant when cars are built. The whole walnet tree isn't always the same color based on the environment, sunlight, soil, breed, etc. There is no guarantee of the same part of tree.
Old 05-11-09, 03:52 PM
ajs
Driver

That's one reason I didn't go for wood in steering wheel and shift ****. Besides, I think that the leather wrapped steering wheel is more comfortable and durable. Wouldn't the wood finish get scratched over time from constant handling of steering wheel and shift ****?
Old 05-11-09, 04:07 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ajs
That's one reason I didn't go for wood in steering wheel and shift ****. Besides, I think that the leather wrapped steering wheel is more comfortable and durable. Wouldn't the wood finish get scratched over time from constant handling of steering wheel and shift ****?
I have scratched it by my wedding band. However, all the cars I've been checking in 5 dealers here have this option installed.
Old 05-12-09, 12:19 AM
Tiggerr
Driver

Originally Posted by Carachi

ditto! But I have to agree on the second issue, Lexus needs to illuminate that area better but not too bright.

Quick Reply: Interior issues