RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Going into reverse & shifting into drive cars stalls

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-09, 05:47 PM
moto1221
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going into reverse & shifting into drive cars stalls

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this issue on their 2010 RX 350 Basically if going into reverse and switching into drive without coming to a complete stop my RX 350 will consistently stall. I brought it to the dealer and they were able to produce the same results but told me you must come to a complete stop before shifting into drive which to me is BS. I have owned many vehicles and my driving has not changed, I would believe that everyone who backs up might roll a little before shifting into drive. Anyway
I'm calling corporate to furhter investigate, but in the meantime I was wondering if anyone can try this on their 2010 R 350 to see if it's a design issue or just happening to mine.

Thanks
Old 05-10-09, 06:28 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum.

STALL: the unexpected or unwanted stopping of an engine?

Well, I don't know what to say. I'd say ppl are supposed to do the complete stop before shifting the gears btwn R and D. IMO.

I did remember, if I did this, my FWD sedan's tranny would make a noise with slight delay/hesitation, and shake a little bit, but the engine wouldn't stop.

Sorry, I couldn't help on this. I won't be able to try this on my RX yet. But, I guess it should not stall.
Old 05-10-09, 10:15 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by moto1221
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this issue on their 2010 RX 350 Basically if going into reverse and switching into drive without coming to a complete stop my RX 350 will consistently stall. I brought it to the dealer and they were able to produce the same results but told me you must come to a complete stop before shifting into drive which to me is BS. I have owned many vehicles and my driving has not changed, I would believe that everyone who backs up might roll a little before shifting into drive. Anyway
I'm calling corporate to furhter investigate, but in the meantime I was wondering if anyone can try this on their 2010 R 350 to see if it's a design issue or just happening to mine.

Thanks
Trying to find a way to say this nicely but I can't... it is idiotic to shift an automatic transmission while the car is rolling in the opposite direction. Stall or not, talk to any mechanic and they'll tell you it's just plain stupid.

If you want to do that... buy a car that's available in a stick.
Old 05-11-09, 05:53 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

moto1221, you must hate your transmission a lot. Do you know the amount of load you are putting onto your gears in your transmssion by doing that. A 5000 pound car moving backwards at 5 mph, and you are trying to stop that backward movement with nothing more than the teeth on a transmission gear. That gear is looking at hundreds or maybe even thousands of pounds of force everytime you do that.
Old 05-11-09, 07:26 AM
Hal56
Pole Position

aside from harming the tranny (so it may be a protective software feature) it may indeed be a software feature.

I have a 335 I and had a problem in that my AT at a stop would sometimes roll back as I lifted my foot off break and before I stepped on gas it would then lurch forward. That was am unintentional problem.

The intentionally detuned the tranny and turbo on some made early 2008 which resulted in a slight turbo lag (and better mileage) .

Both of the above were fixed with a software update.

So my guess is that if you wait a service cycle and then when you bring it in ask for a software update--then you can beat up your tranny when you want to .
Old 05-11-09, 07:37 AM
moto1221
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies and I do understand that you should not shift a vehicle into drive why still going in reverse. The issue here is that the car is barley rolling in reverse, I always come to a complete stop but there are times when you are rushing (pull out into a busy street & go from reverse to drive). I never had any transmission problems on my previous vehicle which had well over 150 thousand miles and I do feel it is a safety issue having the car completely shutdown. Again I understand your comments but spending 40 + on his vehicle and have it shutdown is unacceptable. All I want to know if anyone who owns a 2010 RX 350 is experiencing the same issue.
Old 05-11-09, 07:48 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

While test driving the new RX with a friend it happened right in the parking lot of Lexus dealer and my friend was scolded because he didnt stop completely then just threw it in Drive which stalled the engine. You will have to change your driving habits if you dont want your car to stall consistently
Old 05-17-09, 08:57 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Exclamation

I remembered to see words in Owner's Manual, but couldn't remember where they're.

Just found it.

Owner's Manual PAGE 138.

Perhaps, you can say this car is weird and different than any other vehicles you had been driving before. But Lexus apparently is aware of this on RX and trying to warm the drivers in advance.

Attached Thumbnails Going into reverse & shifting into drive cars stalls-p_138.jpg  
Old 05-18-09, 06:19 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Leave it to Lexus, they have every covered, now you cannot sue them
Old 05-18-09, 06:21 AM
tfischer

Received 226 Likes on 166 Posts

There are not many rules about handling an automatic transmission, but stopping before shifting is certainly one of them.
I think it's even Rule #1.
Old 05-18-09, 06:32 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Kind of reminds me of stick shift and taking your foot off the clutch at the wrong moment.

I remember someone one the forum mentioned not too long ago about the wear and tear on a transmission from not coming to a full stop when shifting between Park/Reverse and any of the Forward Drive Gears.
Old 05-18-09, 07:12 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

i have to admit, sometimes i do not come to a complete stop. what i do when backing out into a busy street is reverse, then shift it to N mid way so that the car rolls backwards a bit more, then, while braking, shift it to D, maybe with .5 mph rollage. Honestly, i dont think ill be changing my habits as I like the OP have done this with all my cars and not a single transmission failure (knock on wood)
Old 05-18-09, 03:24 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 515 Likes on 385 Posts

My LX570 does not stall if I have not come to a complete stop in reverse before putting the tranny in drive. It does about what all other vehicles I have owned and stops the backward motion and starts going forward. We are only talking a few miles an hours and the stress doing this would be far less than applying even half throttle when starting from a stop.
Old 05-18-09, 11:34 PM
Audriuss
Pole Position

My new RX350 don't stall. Though I am in Europe, it may be some safety modification for USA...?
Old 05-19-09, 06:21 AM
jjl12
Rookie

Just don't do it. End of discussion.

Quick Reply: Going into reverse & shifting into drive cars stalls