RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Radio question

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-09 | 07:44 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

The Bang & Olufsen on the Q5 is actually the low end model, when you step up to the A8 or the S-series, the top end Bang & Olufsen system is like nothing I have ever heard before.
Old 05-18-09 | 11:21 AM
flatrocky
Driver School Candidate

I wonder if there is place to get the wiring diagram to upgrade the sound system with after market sound processors with existing speakers? I have never heard XM to sound so terrible in any other car than 2010 RX. it sounds horrible. even worst than AM radio.
Old 05-18-09 | 11:37 AM
Hal56
Pole Position

here are comparisons of the RX vs LS Levinson systems-kind of disappointed that the RX is not as strong a system as the LS.

rx levinson

11 Channels, 330 Watts
The all-new Mark Levinson digital processor/amplifier produces a total of 330 watts (true RMS rating) with all channels driven at 20-20kHz with less than 0.1% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD)

15 Speakers
Discrete 5.1 playback in a 7.1 channel surround sound architecture with separate side and surround channels to provide a greater sense of envelopment and depth for all passengers:
(4) 25mm Tweeters
(1) 90mm Midrange + 16mm Coaxial Integrated Tweeter
(2) 65mm Midranges
(2) 90mm Midranges
(2) 152 x 229mm Woofers
(2) 160mm Mid-woofer
(1) 200mm Subwoofer

Proprietary Metal Cone Midrange and Tweeter Transducers
Metal cone geometries offer greater rigidity and lower mass
Neodymium magnet/motor structures provide higher magnetic flux levels in a smaller and lighter package
The combined sonic benefits of metal cone and neodymium magnet construction are lower distortion, higher resolution, greater sound pressure levels and extended frequency response

Mark Levinson Surround (MLS) Audio Software
Optimizes discrete 5.1 playback for Multiseat™ listening in a 7.1 channel speaker architecture and provides a surround sound experience for stereo source material such as CD and FM
MLS is the only expression of surround sound that is designed and optimized specifically for the unique characteristics and sonic challenges of an automotive interior

Broad Media Compatibility
CD, CD-R, DTS 5.1 CD, DVD Video and DVD Audio discs

Extensive Format Compatibility
2-channel stereo (analog and PCM), 2 channel surround sound, Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1, MLP, MP3, WMA, and an auxiliary input for mobile audio products

Enhanced Connectivity
USB, auxiliary input jack and Bluetooth connectivity allows playback of an iPod or other mobile audio player through the Mark Levinson Premium Surround Entertainment System

RX Voicing
Over 1000 man-hours of meticulous laboratory and on-road fine-tuning for the unique acoustic characteristics of the RX cabin

LS Levinson

Matching Components
The 4” extended bandwidth transducer combined with a 1” tweeter to create a high-performance, timbre accurate 2-way system. The use of identical 2-way systems for each of the 7 playback channels provides system-wide timbre matching for unprecedented clarity and envelopment from each and every channel. This is the first Lexus-Mark Levinson audio system to attain Reference level status.

High Power/Low Distortion Bass Reproduction
Bridged amplifier channels are engaged to provide 100 watts of power to each front door 6” x 9” woofer and to the rear deck 10” subwoofer. This significantly reduces distortion and coloration, while increasing the dynamic capability of the system for reproduction of high energy transient events ever present in today’s music and movie performances.

Discrete 5.1 playback in a 7.1 Channel Surround
Sound Speaker Architecture – Separate full range side and surround channels provide an extraordinary sense of envelopment and depth for all passengers. In particular, rear seat passengers do not experience sound only from behind, as with other automotive 5.1 surround systems.

Mark Levinson Surround (MLS) Audio Software
Intelligently creates a large sonic “sweetspot”, positions “phantom” centers in the middle of the instrument panel where they were intended, and provides the full discrete 5.1 surround sound experience to the rear seat passengers. MLS also provides a surround sound experience for stereo source material such as CD and FM broadcast.

All-Digital Signal Path
Minimizes sonic degradation from noise, magnetic interference and signal conversions by transmitting a more robust digital signal from the disc source to the power amplifiers to maintain fidelity of the original source material.

Media Compatibility
DTS Music Discs, DVD Video and Audio, CD and CD-R.

Format Compatibility
Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1, 2-channel Surround, 2-channel stereo (analog and PCM), MP3, WMA and an auxiliary input for mobile audio devices such as MP3 players.

19 Speaker Reference Surround System
2-Way Center Channel System consisting of:
(1) 4” Metal cone midrange speaker plus
(1) 1” titanium dome tweeter, co-located in the instrument panel center.
3-Way Left and Right Front Channels consisting of:
(2) 6” x 9” metal cone woofers in the lower front doors
(2) 4” metal cone midrange speakers in the upper front doors
(2) 1” titanium dome tweeters in the upper front doors
3-Way Left and Right Side Channels consisting of:
(2) 6.5” metal cone woofers in the lower rear doors
(2) 4” metal cone midrange speakers in the upper rear doors
(2) 1” titanium dome tweeters in the upper rear doors
2-Way Left and Right Rear Surround Channels consisting of:
(2) 4” Metal cone midrange speakers
(2) 1” titanium dome tweeter, mounted peripherally outboard on the rear package shelf

(1) Dual Voice Coil Inverted Subwoofer mounted in the center of the rear package shelf

ML3-12 Digital Processor/Power Amplifier
The “power behind the system” of the newest Mark Levinson Reference Surround System resides in the all-new ML3-16 amplifier. Built on fully discrete circuit topology, the ML3-16 offers DSP power, features, performance refinements and format/media compatibility that are unrivaled in an OEM entertainment system. The ML3-16 produces 450 watts, all channels driven, 20-20kHz at less than 0.1% Total Harmonic Distortion.

The LS Voicing
Over 2000 hours of laboratory and on-road voicing optimizes Mark Levinson Reference Surround for the specific acoustic characteristics of the All-New LS 460 passenger cabin.
Old 05-18-09 | 11:41 AM
Hal56
Pole Position

and this is the old rx levinson specs

Speakers
11 custom-designed speakers:
(3) 2.5-inch metal mid-high drivers (left, center, right) located in the instrument panel, creating a three-way system for the front left and right channels
(2) .75-inch titanium dome tweeters located in the A-pillar
(2) 6x9-inch mid-woofers located in the front doors
(2) 2.5-inch titanium dome tweeters located in the rear doors
(2) 6.5-inch mid-woofers located in the rear doors

Construction Materials
Mark Levinson loudspeakers use a variety of advanced materials, construction techniques and geometry to achieve superior results. Among the features are: rare-earth Neodymium Iron Boron magnets, pure Titanium diaphragm tweeters and polypropylene composite driver materials.Special adhesives, large voice coils and a high impedance design ensure superior power handling and durability under the most adverse conditions.

Amplifier
7 channel, 210 watt, continuous average power at less than 0.1% THD, all channels driven, 20 - 20,000Hz
Custom vehicle equalization
Proprietary Digital Signal Processing (DSP)
Mark Levinson proprietary digital to analog conversion circuitry
SHARC (Super HARvard Computer architecture) 24-bit DSP processor
Discrete analog power amplifiers
Extremely low distortion
Automatic Sound Levelizer processing
Old 05-18-09 | 06:47 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Default Sound settings...

Until last week, I didn't realize that I should adjust the sound settings for each mode... That's why some music was awful...

Btw, my wife said this RX sound (12-speakers) is the worst she's ever had...

Attached Thumbnails Radio question-p_174.jpg  
Old 05-27-09 | 01:14 PM
RXTexas
Driver School Candidate

Just got my RX with the ML stereo and I must admit I was very disappointed at first. After turning off the surround center channel speaker and adjusting the settings, it sounds awesome. I'd say this ML system is on par with the ML in my '06 LS430.

Update - Comparing 06 LS to 10 RX ML - Sorry it's my only reference. RX base is tighter and the highs seem to be more in tune. The LS ML seemed tuned for jazz and clasical rather than rock and other modern music. All sources sound great except AM and XM. The XM signal is just too compressed. I'm really surprised how well the USB source sounds.

Last edited by RXTexas; 05-27-09 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-05-09 | 08:20 PM
jquinn14
Driver School Candidate

this may be a question that gets a "it depends" response, but I am struggling with setting my 9-speaker system to sound decent. moved a bunch of the sound to the back (three clicks) as the mid point was front heavy. trying to adjust bass, treble, and mid but can't find a setting that delivers music with presence. Obviously, I am not a music pro, but the sound (from FM, SAT and ipod via USB) definitely do not overwhelm me when I crank it up. Thoughts on preferred settings?
Old 06-06-09 | 06:15 AM
RXTexas
Driver School Candidate

Not sure if the 9 speaker system has a center channel. If so, turn off the surround. The center channel is worthless unless you listen to DVD audio or Super Audio CD's. SAT radio will probably be the worst since the signal is so compressed.
Old 06-06-09 | 07:15 AM
DOUS
Pole Position

I don't have my RX yet, but in my Infiniti M35X, I have a Bose system with speakers below the headrests on the front seat shoulders and when I turn the "Centerpoint" settings to "off" it sounds amazing. I'm assuming it's the same thing. Take the "center surround" settings to off.
Old 06-06-09 | 07:20 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

what is this "center" thing and what does it actually do?
Old 06-06-09 | 07:29 AM
DOUS
Pole Position

In the Infiniti at least, when watching movies in the back and front (or listening to music), the setting actually "centers" the sound right in the center of the car between front and back row and between passenger and driver So the sound seems like its coming from the center of the car. Not sure exactly if this is the intention or what it's supposed to accomplish, but that's what it seems to do in my car. Frankly though, it doesn't sound good to me.
Old 06-06-09 | 04:59 PM
jquinn14
Driver School Candidate

thanks for suggestion, but no center channel as far as I can see. only able to set balance, fade, bass, treble, and mid.
Old 06-17-09 | 12:12 PM
tigerbait
Rookie

It's not looking good for an upgrade. According to one of the local after-
market radio installers Lexus is running a 2 ohm system(says he's pretty
sure) and all others are 4 ohm. Says maybe a wiring harness adapter will
be available in the future. From what I understand if you just change the
speakers they will play half as loud. The other problem is if you want to
put in a good amp there is no place to put it, or should I say to hide it.
Evidently amps haven't gotten smaller with technology like VCR's.
Another thing, my 9 speaker system doesn't have any speakers in the
cargo area. Does the 12 or 15 speaker system have speakers back there?