RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

More info on the rare Sport Package...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-09, 05:44 AM
Bama M3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kalvano
An AWD Premium car with the sport package?

That'll never happen.

Order one. You'll never see that car on a dealer lot.
I just got a 2010 RX 350 AWD with Sport, Premium, Nav, Comfort, etc., last week (photos here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ment-pics.html ). This car was not a special order, but was on a dealer lot. And while there weren't a lot of Sport package-equipped RXs around, there were a few others available in our area. It seems that availability of option packages varies by region.

We drove RXs both with and without the Sport package, and my wife and I both preferred the ride and handling with this option. The combination of the VDIM and (slightly) stiffer suspension is noticable when you drive differently configured RXs back-to-back. I'm accustomed to driving BMWs, so I guess that's why I prefer the stiffer ride.

I also think the Superchrome finish on the Sport package 19" wheels is more attractive than the standard silver on the non-Sport 19" wheels--but that's just my personal preference.
Old 05-20-09, 06:02 AM
Hal56
Pole Position

take this at face value but i was told the that if you get the lux package you cannot get the sports package-it already has the 19" wheels and tires -just need the suspension.

my guess is most buyers want the softer ride anyway. I don't--I would like a firmer ride. the firmer we know is nothing like a truck anyway.
Old 05-20-09, 10:10 AM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bama M3
I just got a 2010 RX 350 AWD with Sport, Premium, Nav, Comfort, etc., last week (photos here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ment-pics.html ). This car was not a special order, but was on a dealer lot. And while there weren't a lot of Sport package-equipped RXs around, there were a few others available in our area. It seems that availability of option packages varies by region.

We drove RXs both with and without the Sport package, and my wife and I both preferred the ride and handling with this option. The combination of the VDIM and (slightly) stiffer suspension is noticable when you drive differently configured RXs back-to-back. I'm accustomed to driving BMWs, so I guess that's why I prefer the stiffer ride.

I also think the Superchrome finish on the Sport package 19" wheels is more attractive than the standard silver on the non-Sport 19" wheels--but that's just my personal preference.
Thanks, you've confirmed what I suspected. The Sport adds in better handling characteristics without creating a "too hard" ride.

I've tested 9-10 car models, and I liked the RX350 the best, except for its "squishiness" in cornering. If the Sport Package improves that aspect significantly, it's worth a special order for me.

I just had hoped that I would be able to drive one to test it myself. Apparently not.

Sandi
Old 05-20-09, 11:17 AM
jjl12
Rookie

Uh, i say walk away and find a dealer who is willing to order you a car with the SP, if they don't already have one on the lot. It's not like you're asking for something that exotic. i wouldn't buy a RX without it, both for the ride improvement and the rims.
Old 05-20-09, 02:04 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How would you clarify the difference in ride quality and body roll between the two? How are the road surfaces there?
Old 05-20-09, 05:17 PM
Bama M3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tazdevl
How would you clarify the difference in ride quality and body roll between the two? How are the road surfaces there?
- The ride quality with the sport package is great. It is certainly not jarring or too firm. I thought the standard suspension was just too floaty for me. I believe this is probably intentional given that Lexus seems to target more of the traditional luxury car buyer who probably prefers a softer ride.

I can't imagine anyone driving an RX equipped with the sport package and coming away complaining that the ride was "rough". I just thought the sport package suspension was a little more enjoyable to drive. Many people may not even notice that much difference, which is why it's obviously best to drive them both if at all possible.

- I think there is noticably less body roll with the sport package suspension. It's no track car, but that's obviously not what it was designed for.

- I made sure to take test drives on both smooth and rough surfaces. Neither vehicle was uncomfortable under either condition. It all comes down to personal preference.
Old 05-20-09, 07:12 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Thanks, Bama! That's exactly why I suspected the SP was for me.

So, if it is a special order...any hope of negotiating a price other than MSRP?

Sandi
Old 05-20-09, 07:12 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

But yours has nav.

That's the key difference.

She doesn't want nav. That's what will make it an impossible to find car.
Old 05-21-09, 07:19 AM
Hal56
Pole Position

Hi Kalvano--

can a 450h be ordered with Sports pkg along with AWD, comfort and luxury package? My dealer had a hard time getting the system to take that combo.

Last edited by Hal56; 05-21-09 at 07:39 AM.
Old 05-21-09, 06:32 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

But yours has nav.

That's the key difference.

She doesn't want nav. That's what will make it an impossible to find car.
Yep. I understand that - I'd just like to TEST DRIVE one, even if that particular vehicle does have a Nav package.

I have one dealer who has been very helpful - until that salesperson was out for two days, and my inquiry got passed along to a backup.

He called me, left a message about how in 7 years, he'd only seen 2-3 with a Sports Package on it, and he wanted to talk to me to see WHY I wanted it. Uh, that's not really your concern, is it?

He then wrapped up the message by telling me that he was willing to do what it took to get me into a Lexus sooner...rather than later! And he looked forward to talking to me soon. Ugh.

I waited a day until the first salesperson was back in the office, and left her a voicemail, expressing my unimpressed reaction to the other salesperson. She called me right back, and we're back on track. She's willing to order it for me, she understands I'm not in a hurry, and she's not trying to tell me I should instead buy what's on the lot.

Sheesh. I really hope this car lasts for 10+ years. I could throttle someone if I had to do this more often...

Sandi
Old 05-21-09, 08:32 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hal56
Hi Kalvano--

can a 450h be ordered with Sports pkg along with AWD, comfort and luxury package? My dealer had a hard time getting the system to take that combo.

I think the sport package precludes the luxury package, but I don't know for sure. We only get our RX 450's one way.
Old 05-21-09, 08:35 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Don't blame the salesperson (except for the 2nd idiot), it's just how Lexus does things. It drives me insane that they advertise the hell out of ML and the HUD, but the ML is almost impossible to find. I think ML ought to be standard on every nav car.

The problem is you want to test drive something that most dealers not only don't have, they'll never see.

You might see if she can run a locate for you and see if there are any Sport package RX's anywhere close by you can run to and test drive. Other than that, I think you are SOL. Just have to order and hope for the best. For what it's worth, I think it would be worth it. Worst case, it comes in, you hate, and buy a regular suspension RX.

Also, the 2nd salesperson is a total *******. Not for asking you why, I do that, if only to see if someone has been misinformed about something (one person told me they wanted the sport package because they wanted 19" wheels, not knowing all our RX's come with 19"s.). But the tired old crap about selling you a car sooner rather than later is just terrible. As a salesperson lending a hand, he should have said "Hey, xxx is out of the office, she'll be back in xx days, I'm here if you need any answers or anything before she gets back. You can reach me at xxxxx. Have a great day."

What a tard.

Last edited by kalvano; 05-21-09 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-21-09, 09:26 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hal56
Hi Kalvano--

Up here at least, the Sport package is not an option on the 450h.

I think the sport package precludes the luxury package, but I don't know for sure. We only get our RX 450's one way.
Kalvano, have you had a chance to drive a Sport package yet?

Our sales guy delivered one to a customer and asked to take it for a short spin so that he could offer his opinion to us on it. Obviously, he drives the RX 350 regularly and his opinion was that the Sport didn't drive or handle noticeably differently.

The wheels do look great though!
Old 05-21-09, 09:44 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Don't blame the salesperson (except for the 2nd idiot), it's just how Lexus does things. It drives me insane that they advertise the hell out of ML and the HUD, but the ML is almost impossible to find. I think ML ought to be standard on every nav car.....
I was thinking of these, too. And, don't want to figure out why Lexus chooses to do so.

Btw, it seems only JDM Lexus provides the full list of choices/options for customers to configure their own RX. Although US is their largest market outsides J and Cambridge, Ontario, has the plant, we still cannot get what we want.

On the other hands, when US cars are exported, other countries got the same treatments. They got less choices/combinations we can easily find over here.

Can ppl sue Lexus for not advertising the ture vehicles and making the selected models hard to find? No HUD, no sport pkg, etc.
Old 05-21-09, 09:46 PM
Hal56
Pole Position

there are 3 parts to the sports pkg--the 19" wheels/tires, the suspension and the VDRM (or whatever the spelling).

The RX 450 with the luxury pkg comes with the 19" wheels and tires. The 450 includes the VDRM.

Thus all thats left is suspension and my guess is given the extra weight of an AWD hybrid, Lexus engineered in a specific suspension set up for the awd 450h.

Quick Reply: More info on the rare Sport Package...