RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Bluetooth Phone Microphone Volume

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-09, 07:04 PM
RXTexas
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluetooth Phone Microphone Volume

Sorry if this is a repeat thread. I did a search and couldn't find...
Is there a way to improve the volume (gain) of the RX's bluetooth phone microphone? The RX phonebook and the other caller's voice quailty are awesome BUT everyone complains that they can't hear me (it sounds very distant).
Old 05-27-09, 08:36 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I experienced the same thing. Friends keep complaining they couldn't hear me, especially in the beginning of the calls. IMO, you may try these few things...

1. Face the microphone to talk
2. May increase your volume setting higher than normal (not sure if this will increase both volume)
3. Re-sync your BT phone
4. Change your BT phone

Navi Owner Manual PAGE 338

Attached Thumbnails Bluetooth Phone Microphone Volume-page338.jpg  
Old 05-27-09, 09:50 PM
Hal56
Pole Position

FWIW--same problem in BMW--It is tolerable from drivers seat but if a passenger speaks, forget it.
Old 05-30-09, 06:49 AM
RXTexas
Driver School Candidate

Come on guys! Someone has to know how to tweak the microphone gain. Do you think it could be a Lexas software upgrade as more people complain? Help!
Old 05-30-09, 03:53 PM
Nomi
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it is fairly simple to increase the mic volume. Below are the steps. I am going by memory so i may leave a step out so try it and let me know if it does not work and i will walk thru the steps in my car and write each step down

1) turn the ignition to on position
2) turn the lights "on" and then "off" while holding down the "INFO" button on the screen.
this should put you in setup mode and setup screen should pop up.
look for bluetooth button. press the button on the screen and you should see a mic level button turn it up to about 3. Mine was set at 0 and i turned it to 3 and it works fine now. I had turned it higher at one time but everyone complained that there was too much echo so i turned it back to 3.

good luck
Old 05-31-09, 05:26 PM
flatrocky
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nomi
it is fairly simple to increase the mic volume. Below are the steps. I am going by memory so i may leave a step out so try it and let me know if it does not work and i will walk thru the steps in my car and write each step down

1) turn the ignition to on position
2) turn the lights "on" and then "off" while holding down the "INFO" button on the screen.
this should put you in setup mode and setup screen should pop up.
look for bluetooth button. press the button on the screen and you should see a mic level button turn it up to about 3. Mine was set at 0 and i turned it to 3 and it works fine now. I had turned it higher at one time but everyone complained that there was too much echo so i turned it back to 3.

good luck
Can you explain little bit more please? what "info" button you are talking about? the main screen info button with click goes to the next screen. also do you start up the engine?
Old 06-03-09, 06:02 AM
flatrocky
Driver School Candidate

danwis
Rating: 0
View Member Profile

post Dec 4 2008, 07:52 PM
Post #8

New Club Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 84,218
Car Model:GX70

I had the same problem and found these instructions posted on a Lexus IS forum:

"first hold the "info" button (I did it for about 5 secs) then switch your parking light switch from off-to parking lights-repeatedly while still holding the info button....it takes about 5-6 cycles...an poof the NAV screen enter yet another Service menu. From there I navigated to a bluetooth menu where I was able to adjust the Microphone volume higher so that people can hear me better!"

I have a 2006 GX470 and I was able to increase my microphone volume this way. I believe it is called "send voice volume" in the menu. I set it to 3 and people no longer keep saying "I can barely hear you"

Of course, this is a service menu menu so be carefull what you change.

above is what i found on some other forum but it is for gs 470. now i dont know how the info button would work on 2010rx350?
Old 06-03-09, 07:30 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

I wanted the dealer to do this & they said it couldn't be done. After I saw this posting a month or so ago I did the steps suggested & it works great now. No one complains about not hearing us anymore, I just turned it up 2 clicks & all is great with the world again.
Old 06-03-09, 10:12 AM
dr_p
Driver School Candidate

Anyone know how to do this on a non-navi RX?
Old 06-03-09, 01:12 PM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dr_p
My son-in-law had terrible transmit audio through his non-nav 2008 Highlander with bluetooth. With the warranty, the Toyota dealer adjusted the audio transmit quality for him. It now sounds great.

I have no idea how they did it, but it appears all the Toyota products with bluetooth can be adjusted.
Old 06-03-09, 04:15 PM
rxlex010
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by xfirechief
I wanted the dealer to do this & they said it couldn't be done.
Sounds familiar...I got the same answer to my request for help with my Smart Acess/front seat memory recall/linking. Maybe should I take the RX to the Toyota dealer
Old 06-03-09, 04:42 PM
DOUS
Pole Position

A lot of these dealers are either lazy or unknowledgeable. It's frustrating, but a lot of them now won't go the extra mile to help the customer out. No pun intended.

That's why I'm in these forums so I can learn and find things out myself.

Kudos to all the members here who help out!
Old 06-03-09, 04:47 PM
rxlex010
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dr_p
I need this info too. Everyone says they can barely hear me. even though I'm talking loudly. Hopefully someone will figure it out
Old 06-03-09, 05:27 PM
Lead Lap

"A lot of these dealers are either lazy or unknowledgeable. It's frustrating, but a lot of them now won't go the extra mile to help the customer out. No pun intended."

Boy you got that right. An example is the 2010 RX glass breakage sensor. I had asked my sales person and a Lexus service advisor if it could be installed by the dealer, and was told it's a "factory only" install.

The other day I was at my Lexus dealers and picked up the "RX Accessories 2010" catalog. Along with all the other accessories listed is the Glass Breakage sensor ! I think many of Lexus dealer personal are just unknowledgeable.
My point is I think a number of them just don't know everything that can be adjusted and dealer installed on a Lexus. I blame the Lexus Corp. for not having a central information source. If they do, they must all be lazy that they don't give us the correct information.
Old 06-03-09, 05:55 PM
flatrocky
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by xfirechief
I wanted the dealer to do this & they said it couldn't be done. After I saw this posting a month or so ago I did the steps suggested & it works great now. No one complains about not hearing us anymore, I just turned it up 2 clicks & all is great with the world again.
Can you please walk us through as to what steps you took to solve the BT volume issues? for example, what button is an "info" button etc.?

Quick Reply: Bluetooth Phone Microphone Volume