RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Did anyone notice that the RX no longer shares wheelbase with Highlander?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-09, 09:56 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Did anyone notice that the RX no longer shares wheelbase with Highlander?

I was just comparing the RX wheelbase with the highlander and the latter's is longer, same with venza and same with camry. Im glad lexus has finally stopped using the same platform at least during the same production time.

im surprised they didnt mention this in the press conference or even the in depth vehicle press days.

Im not that knowledgable in cars, but my understanding is that platform and wheelbase go together. can they modify a wheelbase with the same platform? Does this mean they are now on different platforms too?
RX350
Wheelbase: 107.9 inches
Highlander: 109.8
Camry: 109.3 inches
Venza: 109.3

Last edited by RXSF; 06-03-09 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-03-09, 12:46 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting observation. My brother has a new Highlander, with every bell and whistle you can imagine, top of the line - A Lexus it is NOT! I was quite underwhelmed first time I rode in it. The interior is generally OK, but looks and feels cheap. The Highlander also handles much larger than the new RX, and in my subjective judgment, no where near as agile as the RX. Based on that, I suspect that the RX is either a very highly modified platform, or is finally unique to Lexus.

I keep wondering if that Wald body kit is available in the US, that at least would make the snout on the new RX much more palatable, and might just tempt me to make the switch. Operative word being “might”.
Old 06-04-09, 07:26 AM
sightdev
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
I was just comparing the RX wheelbase with the highlander and the latter's is longer, same with venza and same with camry. Im glad lexus has finally stopped using the same platform at least during the same production time.

im surprised they didnt mention this in the press conference or even the in depth vehicle press days.

Im not that knowledgable in cars, but my understanding is that platform and wheelbase go together. can they modify a wheelbase with the same platform? Does this mean they are now on different platforms too?
RX350
Wheelbase: 107.9 inches
Highlander: 109.8
Camry: 109.3 inches
Venza: 109.3
Each automaker have base platform they use across the board with slight modification to fit the utility/purpose. With that note, with our vehicles, ES, RX, Sienna, Highlander, Camry, Venza [I read this is the newest version] all share the same base platform. Sharing platform is norm for all automakers and from what I read the cost of new development of the platform is very expensive so base platform is used/modified in many different models. Dimensions are very similar for all models using the same platform. At least our RX/Highlander isn't like Ford Edge/MKX with only the grill and taillamp changes and $8k premium

I read Highlander owners complaining about quality of material compare to RX and RX owners complaining about how much money can be saved buying Highlander. We bough RX for various reasons and so far I haven’t had a Lexus [Gen2 RX, LS, SC] I didn’t like. Ownership and positive dealer experience are primary reason why may of us keep coming back to Lexus after leaving to another brand.
Old 06-04-09, 03:24 PM
Hal56
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The platform is one issue. Various components is another issue.

For example, something as simple as window glass--the upper end autos have thicker glass. Minor, but makes for a more quiet ride,etc.

Another issue-suspension , wheels , brakes have higher specifications.

Inside the car the base leather is better than base leather on the lower end platforms.

The automakers make more dollars of profit on the upper end and probably a higher % on sales. The customer gets a better vehicle.

But what is important to you. Price? Quality is a matter of how well its all put together. A Camry and RX should be equally well put together but the RX has higher end materials.
Old 06-04-09, 04:25 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Wheelbase length being different doesn't equal different platform