RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

I Found a Dealer Who Will Order Mine!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-09, 10:10 AM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I Found a Dealer Who Will Order Mine!

Yay!

After two months of calls, emails and visits, I finally found a dealer who is willing to order an RX350 for me, configured as I prefer:

2010 RX350, Matador Red Mica, Black Leather interior:

AWD
Premium Package (PM)
Sport Package (SP)
Backup Monitor (EC)
Tow Prep Package (TO)
Parking Assist (PA)
Accessory Connector (JC)
Cargo Mat
Cargo Net
Wheel Locks

He says he'll put it in the system on June 20/21 for preferencing, and they'll order it REGARDLESS of whether I want to buy it. This was a sticking point for other dealers, since it doesn't have Nav.

This will allow me to actually DRIVE the sport package version before I make up my mind about what I want.

He says the VIN will be available for me and the financing arrangements within 4-6 weeks of the preferencing order. SO maybe by the end of August.

Progress!

FTR, this is Lexus of Pleasanton, and the salesman is Darren Mickaelson. So far, so good!

Sandi
Old 06-11-09, 10:37 AM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats. Great to hear this is in progress.
Old 06-11-09, 11:07 AM
Hal56
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good to hear that--my order was out in with the may cut off--450h--expecting build in July and delivery in Aug--from Japan.
Old 06-11-09, 11:47 AM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sandi,

I have learned over the past few weeks until the order is accepted and you have a VIN number it's just talk. When your sales person goes to place the order into the Lexus system he will then know what you can and cannot have. The "system" is god. Anyone can say they will order a car for you but without the VIN you have nothing.
I hope you end up with exactly what you want and can encourage the rest of us.
Old 06-11-09, 01:51 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DNC
Sandi,

I have learned over the past few weeks until the order is accepted and you have a VIN number it's just talk. When your sales person goes to place the order into the Lexus system he will then know what you can and cannot have. The "system" is god. Anyone can say they will order a car for you but without the VIN you have nothing.
DNC, I know. But thus far, the only thing I can see being an issue is the Parking Assist. Early on, Lexus.com had it as an "add on" item. Later, it was showing up as bundled with the top-of-the-line package. If that's the only way they'll install it, I'll drop it.

Everything else is doable, I think. But I will keep you posted.

I'm just glad to have found a dealer willing to preference one without Nav!

That's why I'm encouraged by this dealer - no one else was willing to do so, even if the "godlike" system allowed a non-Nav order - which it does.

So it's not just the system - you have to have a dealer willing to use it, instead of taking only RX350's fully loaded, and telling the customer to take what they have on the lot or go away.

Sandi
Old 06-11-09, 03:17 PM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sandi_k
DNC, I know. But thus far, the only thing I can see being an issue is the Parking Assist. Early on, Lexus.com had it as an "add on" item. Later, it was showing up as bundled with the top-of-the-line package. If that's the only way they'll install it, I'll drop it.

Everything else is doable, I think. But I will keep you posted.

I'm just glad to have found a dealer willing to preference one without Nav!

That's why I'm encouraged by this dealer - no one else was willing to do so, even if the "godlike" system allowed a non-Nav order - which it does.

So it's not just the system - you have to have a dealer willing to use it, instead of taking only RX350's fully loaded, and telling the customer to take what they have on the lot or go away.

Sandi

Sandi, I am sorry you are having to go through this mess. It should be a pleasant experience, not what you are having. Paying and begging is just not acceptable to me. My dealership is trying hard, it's Lexus that is not cooperating.
I also find it crazy that you cannot get Parking Assist on a vehicle that will cost this much. I wish you luck. Please keep us posted.
Old 06-11-09, 03:26 PM
Hal56
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DNC
Sandi,

I have 5 dealers in my area--none are that good at all. Only one has taken a specific order-the rest say lets wait to see what is coming in. I really want the 450 otherwise i would chuck it all. (x5 is not what I want and neither is the MDX) They all made me feel I was doing them a favor-none tripped over themselves to take care of us.

Reminds me of the US dealers 15 years ago.
Old 06-11-09, 04:05 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Hal, have you considered Lexus of Santa Monica? I hear they're cooperative, and they're what...6 hours away or so for you?

You could get a Southwest flight to LAX.

Sandi
Old 06-11-09, 04:14 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DNC
Sandi, I am sorry you are having to go through this mess. It should be a pleasant experience, not what you are having. Paying and begging is just not acceptable to me. My dealership is trying hard, it's Lexus that is not cooperating.
DNC, I don't consider this "a mess." I'm not begging either. I'm stating what I want, and if they aren't willing to discuss it, I move on to another venue.

Since I posted my update this morning, I did have one other dealer rep (whom I had spoken with 10 days ago about the Sport Package and an order - and who told me his manager nixed the option without the explicit approval of their Regional Sales Manager) call me back, to say the RSM was in today, and he'd reminded his manager to ask.

I replied that I'd had a positive reply just 45 minutes previous, and thanked him for his efforts. I think he is disappointed, but he's caught between his manager and a hard place.

That said, I get it. What I want is a weird configuration. They may have it sit on the lot for 6 months before they find someone willing to buy a red one (gasp!) or one without Nav (the horror!)

Thus far, this has been reasonably pleasant. The snake oil seems to be at a low point for Lexus salespeople, and I appreciate that. I also find that the salespeople are willing to speak to *me* instead of focusing on my husband. And that's smart of them.

Originally Posted by DNC
I also find it crazy that you cannot get Parking Assist on a vehicle that will cost this much. I wish you luck. Please keep us posted.
Well, I'm pleased enough if I get the rear view camera and no Parking Assist. I can see they may be seen as redundant, and Lexus may have decided not to offer both at the lower levels for that reason. But the PA would be most often used, and the camera used for backing up to the tow trailer.

In fact, the AWD version I drove last week had the Nav and rearview camera, and I didn't even notice as I swung the RX350 into reverse and parked it neatly in front of the exit. The salesman had to point it out (thinking, I guess, that I was relying on it) and I had to reply I hadn't even noticed.

I'm happy, not b*tchy. I'm clear that I am not the average Lexus buyer. Yet.

Sandi
Old 06-12-09, 12:29 AM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sandi_k
DNC, I don't consider this "a mess." I'm not begging either. I'm stating what I want, and if they aren't willing to discuss it, I move on to another venue.

Since I posted my update this morning, I did have one other dealer rep (whom I had spoken with 10 days ago about the Sport Package and an order - and who told me his manager nixed the option without the explicit approval of their Regional Sales Manager) call me back, to say the RSM was in today, and he'd reminded his manager to ask.

I replied that I'd had a positive reply just 45 minutes previous, and thanked him for his efforts. I think he is disappointed, but he's caught between his manager and a hard place.

That said, I get it. What I want is a weird configuration. They may have it sit on the lot for 6 months before they find someone willing to buy a red one (gasp!) or one without Nav (the horror!)

Thus far, this has been reasonably pleasant. The snake oil seems to be at a low point for Lexus salespeople, and I appreciate that. I also find that the salespeople are willing to speak to *me* instead of focusing on my husband. And that's smart of them.

Well, I'm pleased enough if I get the rear view camera and no Parking Assist. I can see they may be seen as redundant, and Lexus may have decided not to offer both at the lower levels for that reason. But the PA would be most often used, and the camera used for backing up to the tow trailer.

In fact, the AWD version I drove last week had the Nav and rearview camera, and I didn't even notice as I swung the RX350 into reverse and parked it neatly in front of the exit. The salesman had to point it out (thinking, I guess, that I was relying on it) and I had to reply I hadn't even noticed.

I'm happy, not b*tchy. I'm clear that I am not the average Lexus buyer. Yet.

Sandi

You are a good sport Sandi. It still sounds like a mess to me. I would have been gone long time ago. It's my money so it has to be my way.
My dealership emailed tonight our car has been ordered and will be in within 3 months. I'm okay with that. Wish me luck.
Again, let me make it clear; what I have been through has nothing to do with my dealership playing the kind of games you mention. The GM at my dealership is not that kind of person.
Old 06-12-09, 05:27 AM
Hal56
Pole Position

rememebr the dealers have not even been "trained" yet. The very special order has upset them since they do not want a 50k car sitting on a lot. Nav apparently is considered standard at least for business decisions.

I guess I am in same camp as sandi since I do not want rear entertainmnet or hud or collission equipmnet but I want all other luxury equipmnet.

I got nav on fiorst car last year--I like it a lot considering last year I thought it was a waste of money--of course, the blue tooth display is a nice safety feature (as I age I can see who I want to call while driving and who is calling me) and as well I like to see my playlists for my ipod.