RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Lexus Dealer Car Wash

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-09, 05:49 PM
Btmnk21
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Dealer Car Wash

How good is it? Should I be worried about scratching my paint?

I've been extremely careful hand washing my new car. Top of the line wash mitt, microfibers, drying towel, etc. and I don't want to ruin the paint by having an 18 yr old kid get lazy and rub dirt into the paint.

Can I just tell the dealer no thanks on the car wash?
Old 06-11-09, 06:06 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

a lot of people say no carwash, because they actually use a machine much like those found at a gas station. skip it until your car gets old
Old 06-11-09, 07:03 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car wash is free and becomes kind of mandatory service for all the luxury car dealership. But, the headquarters of car brands don't have too much control on this service. At least, it's not the quality we're looking for. The dealer thinks they're doing you a great favor. I have seen too many dealers using the big brush to rub cars, including bimmer, mercedes, etc.
Old 06-11-09, 07:17 PM
data2009
Pole Position

Perhaps on the other end...

I have taken my RX to a couple of car washes, incuding the one that's basically a hand wash. As a result, both sides were scratched from front to rear. If not the brushes, than from not-so-100%-cotton towels. Plus, on dark color the scratches stand out alot.

I took the car for 1k service to my dealer and mentioned the scratches. They buffed them out at no charge. Since both sides were scratched, they basically ended up detailing the car. Very pleased with my first visit.

I have been hand washing it ever since.
Old 06-11-09, 07:36 PM
DOUS
Pole Position

just get it detailed or do it yourself.
Old 06-11-09, 08:00 PM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

Don't do it or you will be left with swirls everywhere...
Old 06-11-09, 08:39 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by data2009
Perhaps on the other end...

I have taken my RX to a couple of car washes, incuding the one that's basically a hand wash. As a result, both sides were scratched from front to rear. If not the brushes, than from not-so-100%-cotton towels. Plus, on dark color the scratches stand out alot.

I took the car for 1k service to my dealer and mentioned the scratches. They buffed them out at no charge. Since both sides were scratched, they basically ended up detailing the car. Very pleased with my first visit.

I have been hand washing it ever since.
Pretty interesting. Maybe I should check and ask for the similar service from the dealer next time.

Eventually swirls effect will show in the coming future for the dark color cars. (Hand-washing the car for the 1st year is possible. 2nd year... regular car wash. ) It's just the matter of time.
Old 06-11-09, 08:53 PM
LexFather

If you are **** about your paint, then skip it.
There are two washes I've seen both up close. THe first and old method is having the car wash guys wash the car. Which literally means a giant bucket used over and over and the same brushes used over and over. It also means a very concentrated mix. For most people it leaves the car very clean. If you are ****, it might make you scream.

The other way is the new near half million dollar touchless car washes some dealerships have.
Old 06-12-09, 07:41 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

I noticed scratches (that more or less rubbed out) on my smoky granite (near black) LS460 not to long after the latest service. I can't be sure it was the dealer, but I made up my mind to BE SURE to insist on NO WASH there in the future.
Old 06-12-09, 06:03 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I only go to the FREE Lexus car wash in the winter.
Old 06-12-09, 11:33 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
I noticed scratches (that more or less rubbed out) on my smoky granite (near black) LS460 not to long after the latest service. I can't be sure it was the dealer, but I made up my mind to BE SURE to insist on NO WASH there in the future.
same here, i told my dealer no wash from day 1. black is so hard to keep swirl free!
Old 06-12-09, 11:34 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by 4482
I only go to the FREE Lexus car wash in the winter.
i don't drive my car in the winter, it gets parked.
Old 06-13-09, 04:21 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by rxets
Pretty interesting. Maybe I should check and ask for the similar service from the dealer next time.

Eventually swirls effect will show in the coming future for the dark color cars. (Hand-washing the car for the 1st year is possible. 2nd year... regular car wash. ) It's just the matter of time.

My dealer recently had a brand spankin' new $110,000+ LS600h on his showroom floor with zero miles....black and had swirls very visible under the florescent lights.
Old 06-13-09, 10:31 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by daryll40
My dealer recently had a brand spankin' new $110,000+ LS600h on his showroom floor with zero miles....black and had swirls very visible under the florescent lights.
i would assume that the service guys didn't clean the car properly if there is visible swirl marks. too bad, that would be a major distraction for any potential buyer of this beautiful vehicle.
Old 06-13-09, 11:53 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 502 Likes on 380 Posts

I hand washed my LX570 for about 8 months and then gave up. After 20 months, I just send it thru the local car wash. The idiots have even vaced and scratched the center console. I have watched many of a new car go through the same thing and tell you the truthyou can really enjoy your vehicle more after you "let go" a little and just enjoy it.

For those really crazy and ****, you will never be at ease or really enjoy for a long time.

Quick Reply: Lexus Dealer Car Wash