RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

How has it been so far?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-09, 02:32 PM
psu77
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read in the Prius chat rooms that the top bar will never appear nor will it discharge down to the last bar. The reason is that Toyota has found that the battery will last longer if it stays in the 20% to 80% range of charge.
Old 07-05-09, 03:35 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

I have an AWD 10RX, no nav. Came with Dunlops. VIN indicates Japan build. Driving freeway on a 500 mile trip, I would have to say it is quieter than our 05 RX330, except when there is a stiff crosswind, there's an annoying windnoise, almost whistle. It comes from the front, so I think it's the wipers. If the radio is on, then can't hear it. Went through some heavy thunderstorms and no evidence of a leak (knock on wood) so I don't think there's a seal defect at the windscreen. As someone mentioned in another thread, driving through pouring rain is no problem with this vehicle. Got 24.9 mpg on premium (91 oct here) average on the long legs. (got up to 25.2 on one part). Avg speed 75mph. FWIW, I pumped the tires up to 38 PSI (when I checked before the trip, the dealer had them only at 31psi, and was averaging 19 mpg around town). I can't feel the difference as far as road bumps etc between 31 to 38 psi...it was still smooth sailing. There had been comparisons in the past to the HIghlander for the previous RX generation...well having ridden in a 09 highlander, the 10RX is much quieter and smoother on the road. We're quite pleased so far.
Old 07-05-09, 07:25 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by afpj
I have an AWD 10RX, no nav. Came with Dunlops. VIN indicates Japan build. Driving freeway on a 500 mile trip, I would have to say it is quieter than our 05 RX330, except when there is a stiff crosswind, there's an annoying windnoise, almost whistle. It comes from the front, so I think it's the wipers. If the radio is on, then can't hear it. Went through some heavy thunderstorms and no evidence of a leak (knock on wood) so I don't think there's a seal defect at the windscreen. As someone mentioned in another thread, driving through pouring rain is no problem with this vehicle. Got 24.9 mpg on premium (91 oct here) average on the long legs. (got up to 25.2 on one part). Avg speed 75mph. FWIW, I pumped the tires up to 38 PSI (when I checked before the trip, the dealer had them only at 31psi, and was averaging 19 mpg around town). I can't feel the difference as far as road bumps etc between 31 to 38 psi...it was still smooth sailing. There had been comparisons in the past to the HIghlander for the previous RX generation...well having ridden in a 09 highlander, the 10RX is much quieter and smoother on the road. We're quite pleased so far.
Great to know this. I'm getting some info, too.

I got the similiar results during my trips recently, total highway mileage: about 1.5K+ miles.

Highway:

91 octane premium
65 MPH ~ 80 MPH
33psi
23~23.3 mpg
Cambridge-made RX10 AWD
Bridgestone tires

As for the wind noise, I seem to feel it comes from my left side, nearby the B pillar...
Old 07-05-09, 08:18 PM
Hal56
Pole Position

Questions on mileage--hybrid or regular--

on a trip these past few days (in another performance car) I had access to "pure" gasoline--no ethanol

my mileage was 8-10% better and performance was a bit better--car just ran smoother.

so the questions?

Who here has access to ethanol vs pure gas--and are we seeing mileage differences based on that.

If ethanol gas is about 10%, and reduces mileage by 10%, and we are using food to run our cars--what about using ethanol do I not understand?

So who here has access to "pure gas" and in a not so scientific group and study--on balance is mileage better with pure gas?

Last edited by Hal56; 07-05-09 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-05-09, 08:43 PM
ciparis
Rookie

I guess I was one of the first 2010 RX owners, and as of tonight I'm now on my second 2010 RX. This time I added HUD, HID, Luxury (semi-aniline rocks), Mark Levinson and more -- a really rare bird for CA -- I was thrilled to find it. The lease rate has come down so much on the 3 yr (it's .215 now) that it was fairly easy to upgrade and pay near the same, since I'm now saving so much in interest.

I had my previous one up to 10k miles, and it has been fabulous. Easily the best road-trip car I've ever owned. I can't wait to break in the new one (only 9 miles when I picked her up, a gorgeous sapphire model). I checked out the new Prius while I was considering this upgrade, and I have to say, there's just no substitute for Lexus-level coddling. It's too bad the new Lexus verion of the Prius will be a sedan --- forgoing the 5-door really misses the point of a versatile hybrid.

My first one rarely achieved stated highway MPG, though. My lifetime average was 20.5, and most highway miles were in the 20 to 21 range. That part was a little disappointing. Then again, I almost never drive 65 -- and neither does most anyone else on US interstates.

Last edited by ciparis; 07-07-09 at 01:27 AM. Reason: had the new color wrong; it's sapphire not obsidian
Old 07-06-09, 06:49 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ciparis
I guess I was one of the first 2010 RX owners, and as of tonight I'm now on my second 2010 RX. This time I added HUD, HID, Luxury (semi-aniline rocks), Mark Levinson and more -- a really rare bird for CA -- I was thrilled to find it. The lease rate has come down so much on the 3 yr (it's .215 now) that it was fairly easy to upgrade and pay near the same, since I'm now saving so much in interest.

I had my previous one up to 10k miles, and it has been fabulous. Easily the best road-trip car I've ever owned. I can't wait to break in the new one (only 9 miles when I picked her up, a gorgeous obsidian model). I checked out the new Prius while I was considering this upgrade, and I have to say, there's just no substitute for Lexus-level coddling. It's too bad the new Lexus verion of the Prius will be a sedan --- forgoing the 5-door really misses the point of a versatile hybrid.

My first one rarely achieved stated highway MPG, though. My lifetime average was 20.5, and most highway miles were in the 20 to 21 range. That part was a little disappointing. Then again, I almost never drive 65 -- and neither does most anyone else on US interstates.
ciparis, good to know you got this rare one. Congrats for your new RX.

I was looking for HUD with Lux pkg RX10 in April, but couldn't get it unless I want to do the speical order. After checking with 7 local dealers, the only 5 RX10 with these features were either with rear-entertainment pkg or reserved by someone else. I gave it up. Neither the extra waiting time nor the additional $ with less discount is what I wanted.
Old 07-06-09, 07:02 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rxets
Great to know this. I'm getting some info, too.

I got the similiar results during my trips recently, total highway mileage: about 1.5K+ miles.

Highway:

91 octane premium
65 MPH ~ 80 MPH
33psi
23~23.3 mpg
Cambridge-made RX10 AWD
Bridgestone tires

As for the wind noise, I seem to feel it comes from my left side, nearby the B pillar...
Well, I did another test. Today I drove almost 350 miles, straight, on the highway.

91 octane premium with 10% ethanol
35psi
76 ~ 81 F
Cambridge-made RX10 AWD with Bridgestone tires (Odometer 4K)

I tested each "speed" for 20 straight miles as well as the green ECO light was ON permanently.

At 65 mph, the average is around 25.0 ~ 25.4 MPG
At 70 mph, it's about 24.5 ~ 24.8 MPG
At 75 mph, it's about 23.9 ~ 24.3 MPG
At 80 mph, it's about 23.2 ~ 23.5 MPH (green ECO light was on unless climbing uphills)

Well, besides the difference among cars, the tire pressure seems to be one of the main factors.

Last edited by rxets; 07-06-09 at 09:49 PM. Reason: ECO... not ECHO... aih.
Old 07-06-09, 07:38 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

rxets,

Did you happen to notice that the ECO light goes out above 85 mph, even if the gas pedal is released? Nice trend in mpg vs speed.
Regards
Old 07-06-09, 09:47 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

rxets,

Did you happen to notice that the ECO light goes out above 85 mph, even if the gas pedal is released? Nice trend in mpg vs speed.
Regards
I really had no chance of trying 85 mph consistently. I might reach that speed a few times, but it's usually under the hard acceleration. As what you mentioned above, it's apparently off the ECO criteria.

Will pay attention to this mark next time.
Old 07-07-09, 01:27 AM
ciparis
Rookie

Mine always goes off somewhere just over 85 (first one did anyway; haven't tried the new one yet).
Old 07-07-09, 05:43 PM
art123
Driver School Candidate

HUD is being installed on 2% of the production. That is the plan.

My gas mileage is averaging about 26 mpg at the moment in eco mode. That is mostly turnpike driving at speeds of 80 to 100+ mph. Average speed is 35mph.

I love this thing. The interior is unbelievable. I like the sound system especially since I can play and control my Iphone music through the car speakers via Bluetooth. It cuts the Iphone on and off.

"Biggest" problem is the lack of storage in and around the driver and also in the rear underneath the floor.

Love it.
Old 07-07-09, 07:50 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

rxets,

Regards
Originally Posted by ciparis
Mine always goes off somewhere just over 85 (first one did anyway; haven't tried the new one yet).
Same here. Just tried it today. Around 2700 RPM at 6th gear with 86 mph, it's off. I tried it again in downhills, it's off again at 2500 RPM at 6th gear after passing 85 mph.

Same results after a few different tries.

* In the past, I used to see, in the regular speed (unknow) with unknow gear, my ECO light stayed on around 3k RPM.
Old 07-07-09, 07:52 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

I believe, if driving between 50 ~ 65 mph at 6th gear, my RX10 will get the best MPG. However, I haven't really got the chance of trying this speed straight for dozens of miles.
Old 07-10-09, 10:23 AM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Default Another ones...

Again I drove on each "speed" for 20 straight miles as well as the green ECO light was always ON.

93 octane premium with 10% ethanol
34psi
66 ~ 69 F
Cambridge-made RX10 AWD with Bridgestone tires (Odometer 4.6K)

* 3 tests - at 60 mph, the average is 27.6~28.1 MPG

59 ~ 60 F

* 2 tests - at 55 mph, the average is 28.7 ~ 29.2 MPG
Old 07-10-09, 10:28 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by psu77
I've read in the Prius chat rooms that the top bar will never appear nor will it discharge down to the last bar. The reason is that Toyota has found that the battery will last longer if it stays in the 20% to 80% range of charge.
link please? i've always wondered about my GS450h; i could never get the traction battery to 100%. now i know!

Quick Reply: How has it been so far?