RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Trailer hitch on RX350

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-09, 12:23 PM
b67
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi New to the forum but have been prowling for a while, anyway...

I put a Curt hitch on this past weekend, took less than 2 hours, most of the time spent removing, triming and reinstalling the fascia. Cost was $153

It looks good but I am all for a finished look and the Curt does not have the bracket that the lexus has for the flat plug. Anyone install a plug to give it a nice finished look?

I see etrailer.com has some brackets but the hidden nature of the hitch changes things up a bit... There is an intersting magnetic one they have that would at least prevent a dangling wire and give a somewhat finished look

Thanks
Old 09-15-09, 09:15 AM
beckysdad
10th Gear

Default No Lexus trailer wiring

I installed a Curt Hitch on my 2010 FWD RX350, and have been looking for a way to get trailer lights installed.
Yesterday I had my 6-month service done and while there asked the parts department to research on how to wire trailer lights to my SUV since no towing package was available for the FWD RX. He copied my VIN and spent about 15 minutes on his computer and talking with other parts departments, and then told me that there are no parts available to enable trailer lighting.

So the question is if anyone without the towing package found a way to wire a trailer connection to the FWD RX? Because of the LED Brake lights, I know it takes a special way of doing this so as to not screw up the Lexus.

Finally had personalized settings changed also: Windows open with key remote; Bluetooth transmit volume raised; and obnoxious seat belt warning chime disabled. While there they also completed the Limited Service Campaign to replace the AC sub-assembly. And they added another yellow sticker to the door frame changing the vehicle gross weight capacity.

Now to just get the trailer wiring completed - U-haul was no help as they say to contact the Lexus dealer.

Tom
Old 09-15-09, 06:38 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by beckysdad
While there they also completed the Limited Service Campaign to replace the AC sub-assembly.

Tom
Tom: I've never heard of the AC sub-assembly campaign. Could you elaborate on what it's all about please.

Thanks,
Carl
Old 09-16-09, 05:18 AM
beckysdad
10th Gear

Default AC assembly

Check out this link, it has the details. If it applies to you, you should have received a notice by now.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...10-rx350s.html

Tom
Old 09-29-09, 11:17 AM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tnb1
I had the dealer install the Lexus hitch before we picked it up. Here are some pix.
Terry
Terry... you notice more wind noise in the back of the vehicle after they cut out the bumper? Had the OE hitch put on and I'm pretty sure there's more turbulent wind noise in the back of the car.

Also noticed all of a sudden more roof wind noise... not sure if there is something up with the sunroof or it's crossbar wind noise and I just didn't notice it before.
Old 09-30-09, 10:24 AM
tnb1
Rookie

Originally Posted by tazdevl
Terry... you notice more wind noise in the back of the vehicle after they cut out the bumper? Had the OE hitch put on and I'm pretty sure there's more turbulent wind noise in the back of the car.

Also noticed all of a sudden more roof wind noise... not sure if there is something up with the sunroof or it's crossbar wind noise and I just didn't notice it before.
Dealer put it on before I picked it up so I don't know what it sounded like before. Don't notice any excessive wind noise.
Terry
Old 10-14-09, 08:11 AM
wlexusnh
Driver School Candidate

Ok, looking for some advice from those that have gone down this road already-

Looking to firm up the part numbers needed, as most online sites list two very different hitches for the RX 350.

Model: 13539 and Model: 13541 Both are Class 3, 2" hitches by CURT.
Also, what is the proper wiring kit part number? I'm finding T-Connector # 56083.

Thanks everyone.
Old 10-15-09, 05:17 AM
beckysdad
10th Gear

Default Curt Hitch number

The Curt hitch I installed was number 13539, which cost $153.43 including shipping. Installed by myself easily in about a half hour.

My RX350 is FWD and the towing package was not available, so I had to buy the ModuLite adapter wiring kit, rather than use the pigtail adapter that plugs into the receptaclel under the left rear bumper. I purchased the adapter kit from redtrailers.com for $49.99 delivered. Kit number 118478.

Tom
Old 10-15-09, 05:40 AM
np0531
Rookie

Originally Posted by beckysdad
The Curt hitch I installed was number 13539, which cost $153.43 including shipping. Installed by myself easily in about a half hour.

My RX350 is FWD and the towing package was not available, so I had to buy the ModuLite adapter wiring kit, rather than use the pigtail adapter that plugs into the receptaclel under the left rear bumper. I purchased the adapter kit from redtrailers.com for $49.99 delivered. Kit number 118478.

Tom
The dealer actually told you the towing package wasn't available?

I got my FWD RX350 last month with the towing package installed. There was a small problem with the electrical at first, something about installer a converter box that wasn't included in the original installation instructions from Lexus.

Price I think was around $700-$800 including labor...but so far everything seems to work properly.
Old 10-15-09, 06:31 PM
wlexusnh
Driver School Candidate

Hello,
Just a quick update-
Wife's 2010 AWD RX 350, I spoke to Discounthitches.com this AM,
Confirmed that both models will fit, one is being phased out. Purchased the newer model (13541) , + wiring harness (56083) plus picked up a hitch lock, all with free shipping! Installation will be a breeze, and this will end up costing me under $200. Will follow up here with a post if there are any snags with install or wiring.
Old 10-23-09, 06:03 AM
iralynn
Driver School Candidate

I just installed the Curt hitch. Simple bolt on install. You have to remove the tie down brackets and the fascia and cut it to allow the hitch receiver part to fit and then reinstall the fascia. You can leave the tie down brackets off. The harness is for the hitch wiring , but it requires a "modulator" to be installed for it to be functional. Without it the wiring does not function, at least on the FWD model without the towing prep package installed. I had this done by "The Hitch House" in Sarasota Florida.
Attached Thumbnails Trailer hitch on RX350-hitch.jpg  
Old 10-23-09, 07:24 PM
wlexusnh
Driver School Candidate

Weird, I just put the Curt in ( like you said, piece of cake) and the wiring adapter plugged right in. Oddly, the part number I have shows a modulator on some sites and not others. The unit I received did not have a modulator. It did attach right to the harness, as decribed. Will test it tomorrow and post the results.
Old 11-05-09, 07:04 AM
BillON1
Driver School Candidate

First time with a trailer on the Curt hitch.... wiring worked as advertised, no additional parts required, just plugged in the harness that shipped with the hitch, plugged other end into trailer wiring and it all works.

Bill
Old 03-30-10, 12:18 PM
b67
Rookie

Originally Posted by iralynn
I just installed the Curt hitch. Simple bolt on install. You have to remove the tie down brackets and the fascia and cut it to allow the hitch receiver part to fit and then reinstall the fascia. You can leave the tie down brackets off. The harness is for the hitch wiring , but it requires a "modulator" to be installed for it to be functional. Without it the wiring does not function, at least on the FWD model without the towing prep package installed. I had this done by "The Hitch House" in Sarasota Florida.
Hey iralynn,

The plug for the trailer, is that just attached to the plastic cover or did they attach to some sort of metal underneath?

I want to add one of those plugs instead of shoving the wire away when not in use
Old 04-06-10, 11:01 AM
adamalbert
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dealer vs Curt

Hello all,
As with others, my dealer has quoted me over $1,000 to install a hitch. He states that it takes the place of the main cross bean in the back and that the bumper must be removed to do so.
My question: how much of a difference do the OEM hitch make in performance and appearance? Base on the posted pictures, both look good.
Thank you,
Adam

Quick Reply: Trailer hitch on RX350