RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Trailer hitch on RX350

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-10, 05:52 PM
sightdev
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by darkstalke
This particular forum topic was very helpful to me in deciding if I should pay the dealer to do mine for $1000, get Uhaul to do it, or do a self install. I ultimately decided to give the self install a try even though i know nothing of cars. My buddy let me borrow his shop and his tools since i do not have any of my own and it literally only took 20 minutes to do so.

$140 Curt Class III receiver
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

$16 wiring harness

$340 Softride Bike Mount

Thanks all for your helpful posts!
I did the exact same setup today but instead I purchased mine from eBay. Combo kit cost $168 w/free shipping so if you posted your info few more days earlier, I would have saved $12 Only thing I did different is I didn't trim the end to end but instead cut a hole and slid the cover back on as pictured using utility knife. I did this after looking at other completed pictures. cutting hole instead of end-to-end, it looks more "flushed" and even.
Attached Thumbnails Trailer hitch on RX350-trimcut.jpg  
Old 08-09-10, 12:17 PM
bbison
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm a klutz...

who has trouble putting Ikea stuff together. But I was able to put the Curt hitch on in about 2 hours, by myself. If you're hesitant about trying this--give it a shot. The only difficult part was putting the fascia back on. It's pretty easy if you follow the instructions with the hitch and the tips given in this thread.
Old 08-12-10, 04:52 PM
CliffV
Driver School Candidate

I installed my Curt 13451 hitch today. I got it at Amazon.

Total install time was 2.5 hours. I have no experience working on cars. I was working alone and didn't hurry.

I didn't install the electrical. All we ever use the hitch for is holding our bike rack.

I had all the tools needed except I did go get a torque wrench at Harbor Freight.

Glad I could save a few bucks.
Old 08-26-10, 09:39 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, 8 months after I received my Xmas present of a Curt hitch, my husband installed it on Sunday. He spent about 2 hours on the installation, and another 2 hours manufacturing, painting, drilling and installing a bracket to hold the wiring harness. It looks very awesome.

Pics to follow...I've got to find my camera's USB cord.

Sandi
Old 08-28-10, 01:56 PM
tob1y2k7
Driver School Candidate

Hey, guys
I'm new to the forum just bought the 2010 RX350.
I have a question, my dealer charges $974 installed, I wasn't sure about getting them at almost $1000 but sales person told me that it's going to be welded. and on and on and on about there quality, so I got them thinking that should me better than after market. And today I found out that the hitch is bolt on and it cost only $467 so I call the dealer they told me that they do not welded on and due to 4hrs labor it $974. Is it really take 4 hrs to put the hitch on? If I would've known it bolt on I could taken to my shop for cheaper labor, because of stupid sales persons I feel like I over paid.
What should I do, can I speak to someone like sales manager for some kind of refund?
This over paying is really upsetting.
Old 08-28-10, 05:14 PM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got mine install for $800, part $525+ 2hrs labor+ tax.
BTW,my car came with the towing package.
Old 08-28-10, 05:27 PM
CliffV
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tob1y2k7
What should I do, can I speak to someone like sales manager for some kind of refund?
This over paying is really upsetting.
My salesman quickly steered me away from a Lexus branded hitch because of the high cost. He actually recommended a local hitch place. I was going to visit the local hitch place but got enough advice from this forum to convince myself that I could do the installation myself.
Old 08-28-10, 05:51 PM
tob1y2k7
Driver School Candidate

I really can get this off my head, if i knew it was bolt on i would've never ever got it done. After I found out about bolt on I called the parts and service they told me 467 + 1 1/2hr job(187.50) and when I complain to sales man someone call me from service and told me it's 3 hrs job, so let do dome math even 3hrs doesn't make to be 1000, than he tells me it might be 4hr job, I had to go through so much BS. Now I got my lesson NEVER EVER INSTALL ANYTHING FROM DEALER ESPECIALLY THIS ONE. PRESTIGE LEXUS IN ROUTE 17.
Old 09-14-10, 12:08 PM
fredf42
Driver School Candidate

Talking This thread has saved me time and money!

I have been lurking this forum for several years. It has always been useful. We have two Lexus RX. (RX's RXes, RXi ?) A 2002 rx 300, and just got the 2010 450h with tow package. I looked here first for advice when it came time to get a hitch. Dealer quoted a high price with sketchy details. It was clear they would rather not tackle the job. Mind you, the dealer is excellent.

Based on the advice here and excellent posts with lots of pictures and details, I got the Curt Hitch from Amazon.

Curt Manufacturing I-728 Protective Rubber Cap $7.71 (to hold and hide the flat 4 plug)
Curt Manufacturing 56083 T-Connector $16.77
Curt Manufacturing 13541 Class III Receiver Hitch $140.38

Free shipping.

I installed it with very little troubles. Having the right tool to cut the fascia would have made it with no trouble. I would recommend a disc cutter on a rotary tool.

The directions that came with the hitch were excellent with pictures and everything. (I think there is a link to a copy of the directions in this thread somewhere.)

So, thanks to all who take the time to post instead of just lurk. (I being the most guilty of all lurkers have taken steps down the path to recovery as of today, and have created an account just to say thanks!)

Thanks again!
Eric
Old 09-16-10, 05:26 PM
mcnam1
Driver School Candidate

Default Which Curt Hitch? 2010 RX350

I'm about to buy the Curt Hitch for my 2010 RX350 - which appears to be the recommendation here at Club Lexus. But when I went online, I found two versions of the hitch: #13541 and #13539. I think #13541 is the preferred hitch. Am I correct? Is it simply a newer model number?

Also, anyone know the model number for the T-Connector I need?

And finally, where the best deal might be found?

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-10-11, 11:52 AM
sjsperry
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pep Boys Installed my hitch

I went with Pep Boys and their hitch since installation was free (installed total $209 after a $49 rebate).

However, the hitch vibrated against the muffler and we took it back to them. Their only solution was to lower the muffler but it looks whack. Did anyone else have this type of trouble with the curt hitch? I assume not, since no one has complained here.

Thanks.
Old 09-11-11, 05:39 PM
timlrx11
Driver

I installed the Curt hitch (13541) myself. It does not vibrate against the muffler as you described. The hitch fit nicely on the RX.
Old 09-12-11, 05:10 AM
adamalbert
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I too installed my Curt hitch myself. This summer was the first season it got used to pull a Yakima kayak trailer withe two kayaks. I am happy to report that there is no noise
I realize this doesn't help your Pep Boys issues, but just so others know.
Thanks
Adam
Old 09-12-11, 09:39 AM
fredf42
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mcnam1
I'm about to buy the Curt Hitch for my 2010 RX350 - which appears to be the recommendation here at Club Lexus. But when I went online, I found two versions of the hitch: #13541 and #13539. I think #13541 is the preferred hitch. Am I correct? Is it simply a newer model number?

Also, anyone know the model number for the T-Connector I need?

And finally, where the best deal might be found?

Thanks in advance!
I got the 13541. If you go to the curtmfg.com web site, put in 2010 Lexus, RX, it selects the 13541.

I did some web digging and found pictures of the 13539 and it looks like it will work, but don't take my word for it...

Bye Now!
Eric
Old 09-12-11, 09:39 AM
fredf42
Driver School Candidate

Default Self install, no vibration issues

Self install no vibrations.

Bye Now!
Eric

Quick Reply: Trailer hitch on RX350