RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Tire Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-09, 11:58 AM
Oivey2000
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tire Pressure

Picked up my new RX last week. Owner's manual and inside door sticker recommends 32 PSI for both front & rear tires. For the heck of it, I checked the cold tire pressure yesterday...and it was 43 PSI! They must come that way from the factory. So I adjusted them all to 32. My friend told me later that I should watch my gas mileage now, as it was bound to go down since I had lowered the pressure. My main concern was a blowout! So should I have kept the tires they way they were, or lowered them like I did?
Old 06-29-09, 12:19 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

In my opinion Oivey,you are 100% correct in adjusting them to what the decal on the door specs.
Old 06-29-09, 01:34 PM
ajs
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had similar experience:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-pressure.html

Some things to look out for:
  • Make sure your tire gauge is accurate. Mine was not, and it turns out this is a common problem.
  • Once you're happy with inflation level, you'll need to reset the tire pressure monitoring system. Otherwise, you will get an low-tire pressure alarm.
  • The TPM reset button is buried close to the brake pedal. I had trouble finding it.
Old 06-29-09, 02:25 PM
Oivey2000
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks! i have the old stick pop-out kind that has served me well for years. it's pretty accurate. so far, pressure is 32 now & no tire pressure warning light so far. thanks for the thread link. interesting how some people found that increasing the pressure a couple pounds made for a smoother ride. i'll have to see for myself. but 40+ seemed awfully high to me
Old 06-29-09, 02:40 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Oivey2000
thanks! i have the old stick pop-out kind that has served me well for years. it's pretty accurate. so far, pressure is 32 now & no tire pressure warning light so far. thanks for the thread link. interesting how some people found that increasing the pressure a couple pounds made for a smoother ride. i'll have to see for myself. but 40+ seemed awfully high to me
My 450h has the valve stems that send the individual tire pressure to the computer and readout on the dash. The 350 doesn't have that? Mine reads like this 35 35 36 36 which are front 1st then rear.
Old 06-29-09, 04:25 PM
sightdev
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
My 450h has the valve stems that send the individual tire pressure to the computer and readout on the dash. The 350 doesn't have that? Mine reads like this 35 35 36 36 which are front 1st then rear.
RX450h must be the first in Lexus lineup to actually display the TP on each corner. I know Mercedes had them for some years and it is a time saver. So it comes on when you first engage the ignition to “ON”? Do you have the LED headlamp option in your 450h? If you do, can you put up some pictures?
Old 06-29-09, 05:18 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sightdev
RX450h must be the first in Lexus lineup to actually display the TP on each corner. I know Mercedes had them for some years and it is a time saver. So it comes on when you first engage the ignition to “ON”? Do you have the LED headlamp option in your 450h? If you do, can you put up some pictures?
I hope I never have to find out how much those valve stems cost, but they sure are nice.

I don't have the LED lights, but the HID with all the bells and whistles are the nicest ones I've ever had or even experienced. Low beam is actually just a shutter that closes off part of the lamp.

Comfort package, Nav Package, HID lights, Nav system, S/R, 19" rims w/Michelin's & various port options. If it had been available I'd have taken and paid for HUD but no joy. Oh, it's a FWD. On the FWD model they skipped the rails for very high MPG improvements. After nearly 500 miles I'm average so far a skosh over 30. It drives like a dream. Went about 2+miles on the batterys today but all under 40MPH.

Photo's from Hybrid section post https://www.clublexus.com/forums/4624949-post9.html

Oh, the pressures show up when you cycle through the indicators on the main dash. In the one photo it's off in the garage and shows the instant MPG indicator.

Last edited by Cruiter; 06-29-09 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-29-09, 06:23 PM
Hal56
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim--I earlier said I broke one of the stems while on a cross country road trip in Joplin Missouri--had to stay over night and to get a dealer 10 years ago who had the equipment to handle run flat tires--the dealer did not have the right sensor so he installed a regular one which worked well--my home dealer gave me a replacement under warranty so I never did find out the cost but its got to be over $100 for the part.

Several interesting things about the sensors that read out in car--as you drive at higher speeds the tire pressure increases and you can watch it--cool. Also, if you are drive where one side of the car is facing a hot sun--that side my read 1 pound higher.

I really like it along with other full instrumentation. Does the 450 instrumentation have water temp, oil pressure, etc?

BTW--I am watching overnite oil prices--now over $72.
Old 06-29-09, 07:03 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hal56
Jim--I earlier said I broke one of the stems while on a cross country road trip in Joplin Missouri--had to stay over night and to get a dealer 10 years ago who had the equipment to handle run flat tires--the dealer did not have the right sensor so he installed a regular one which worked well--my home dealer gave me a replacement under warranty so I never did find out the cost but its got to be over $100 for the part.

Several interesting things about the sensors that read out in car--as you drive at higher speeds the tire pressure increases and you can watch it--cool. Also, if you are drive where one side of the car is facing a hot sun--that side my read 1 pound higher.

I really like it along with other full instrumentation. Does the 450 instrumentation have water temp, oil pressure, etc?

BTW--I am watching overnite oil prices--now over $72.
Hal,
No it doesn't have oil pressure. It has a light for that. The new engine family runs on 20 weight oil for efficiency so they probably don't want you to see how low it goes at idle. But hey, the 450h doesn't idle much . It just shuts off. Does have water temp of course and a very nice feature that's optional on the 350. VDIM is standard equipment on the h model.

Yes, I have seen the fluctuation at speed and seen one side warmer by a lb but it was only a rear tire. My dealer did seem to do a good PDI on it and they put the pressures about where I would have had them. Just slightly more than recommended. Better handling and gas mileage and not noticeably more wear (I hope). I agree you're probably in the right range on guessing the price just based on low number produced and availability. I'll try hard to stay off the curbs. I very rarely parallel park.

Yep, I was watching the prices of oil too, it's the traders again trading it up, even though we have a glut. If our dollar gets stronger, it'll come down again. Either way I'm glad I decided to go for the (h). It's nice not only to have an already great car but one that's a little more rare. And the one time I've filled it so far I had to answer about 15 min worth of questions. It might as well have a dancing horse on the hood, people want to talk about it.
Old 06-29-09, 07:03 PM
sightdev
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
I hope I never have to find out how much those valve stems cost, but they sure are nice.

I don't have the LED lights, but the HID with all the bells and whistles are the nicest ones I've ever had or even experienced. Low beam is actually just a shutter that closes off part of the lamp.

Photo's from Hybrid section post https://www.clublexus.com/forums/4624949-post9.html

Oh, the pressures show up when you cycle through the indicators on the main dash. In the one photo it's off in the garage and shows the instant MPG indicator.
I love your color choice aside from extra air slot right below the grill, chrome bezel completes the front bumper for hybrid. I like those chrome bezels.

Tire Pressure-front.jpg
Old 06-29-09, 08:22 PM
Hal56
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting., I had not noticed that horizontal slot till you pointed it out.

What option did you get where you can hide the license plate number? (LOL)
Old 06-29-09, 09:18 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hal56
interesting., I had not noticed that horizontal slot till you pointed it out.

What option did you get where you can hide the license plate number? (LOL)
We did mention that air slot before...

You shouldn't miss it.
Old 06-30-09, 07:35 AM
wrahn
Driver School Candidate

Jim Myers

I have the RX350 with rails, but I like the look of your RX450 without the rails. Now I have to see if I can remove the rails without damaging the operation or look of my RX.

Wes