RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Motor Trend-RX vs Caddy new SUV

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-09, 07:25 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that's a great review:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...55.html?page=1
Old 07-03-09, 07:27 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lex
the popular mechanic people dont know that the current hybrid RX is the RX450H not rx400h
Old 07-05-09, 12:43 PM
LexFather

Its well know the American car mags are now knock-off Top Gear mags. Look the SRX is a very nice SUV but for goodness sakes it has the performance of a 1999 RX 300! Look at the acceleration figures!!!!

The RX outsells entire luxury lines and nearly outsold the entire Cadillac line. The RX created the car based luxury SUV and still is THE king of the hill.

Its clear consumers feel the RX is the standard and everyone else either misses the boat or they don't aim for a direct fight with the RX.

Old 07-05-09, 12:47 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by The G Man
Lexus has no soul, that’s the problem, A SUV can be comfortable and fun to drive at the same time. Horsepower and gas mileage have never been a problem with Lexus, it’s the suspension and the steering, only the over 65 owner can appreciate the Lexus suspension and the steering . Other younger Lexus buy it for its reliability and quality, but motor trend is not JD power or consumer report, they do not care about reliability and quality. That’s why the RX lost to the Caddy.
Where do u get this from? WTF is soul in a SUV? A SUV is for UTILITY and CONVIENCE, not for sport. If you bought a SUV for sport, you need your head examined.

WTF is with the 65 and older crowd comment as if older buyers don't buy German cars? WTF?

Your continued comments knocking Lexus for things it is not trying to be is now an old play. You said the same things in the thread in car chat.

So you want Lexus to QUIT its successful formula for the RX and chase what YOU think is better?

Guess what Audi purposely doesn't have a RX fighter. They have the cute ute Q5 and the big Q7. They DID NOT want to fight it head on.

Old 07-05-09, 06:29 PM
TradeStar
Driver School Candidate

I guess the problemo that some people have with the 2010 Lexus is that they didnt break the mold of the 2nd generation RX. I think that the change from 1st generation to 2nd generation was a huge change and really refined the looks of the SUV. But now, Lexus did not want to fix what aint broken.

We saw the pics of the concept SUV on the Lexus website. I think that the younger RX crowd (me included) wanted to see something a little more aggresive and ground breaking.

The 2010 RX is a solid reliable SUV. Probably best of its class. For me, I do not get all crazy about defending cars. Thats all it is , a car......

I did actually test drive the Q5 today. It was cool to drive...had that German engineering feel to it with a nice amount of throaty zip.

The perfect SUV would be a combination of all the great aspects and features on the current SUV's with some advancement and relevent style.
Old 07-05-09, 06:51 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TradeStar
I guess the problemo that some people have with the 2010 Lexus is that they didnt break the mold of the 2nd generation RX. I think that the change from 1st generation to 2nd generation was a huge change and really refined the looks of the SUV. But now, Lexus did not want to fix what aint broken.

We saw the pics of the concept SUV on the Lexus website. I think that the younger RX crowd (me included) wanted to see something a little more aggresive and ground breaking.

The 2010 RX is a solid reliable SUV. Probably best of its class. For me, I do not get all crazy about defending cars. Thats all it is , a car......

I did actually test drive the Q5 today. It was cool to drive...had that German engineering feel to it with a nice amount of throaty zip.

The perfect SUV would be a combination of all the great aspects and features on the current SUV's with some advancement and relevent style.
There is no perfect car for the masses. The VW Bug went out of production many years ago (sadly). However, Lexus seems to have hit a bulls eye on the market they were aiming for. Again, it's not only outselling it's competition and all the other models from Lexus (again), pretty much all of the 450h RX models are pre-sold on arrival. That speaks volumes. It's not for everyone, but it fits the bill for the buyers. And from what I've read on here, we're pretty happy with our selections.
Old 07-06-09, 06:52 PM
alfaxtc
Driver School Candidate

I think it be nice to alittle "sport" in the new RX. After all the S in SUV does stand for "Sport". I recently got a 2009 RX as a loaner when my 2010 RX went in for service and I have to tell you the 09 RX feels faster and more maneuverable. I really wanted the sport package with my RX, but they are hard to find in the east coast. I'm in my early 30's and drove the X6, X5, X3, Q7, Toureg TDI before getting the RX. I've always been a car guy more than a SUV guy, but this was more to make my girlfriend happy. I think the RX is a tad soft and the BMW, Audi VW MB are too hard. That's why I believe that the RX would benefit with the sport package. I understand Lexus is more about refinement and luxury than sport, but it couldn't hurt to be alittle sporting seeing that their competition is BMW, MB, Audi who are somewhat more sporting. I also beieve a lower ride height and a slightly stiffer suspension would aid in SUV safety.
Old 07-07-09, 07:42 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Where do u get this from? WTF is soul in a SUV? A SUV is for UTILITY and CONVIENCE, not for sport. If you bought a SUV for sport, you need your head examined.

WTF is with the 65 and older crowd comment as if older buyers don't buy German cars? WTF?
Like I say to my 10 year old kid, you will not get a rise out of me if you use that tone of voice.

Last edited by The G Man; 07-07-09 at 07:55 AM.
Old 07-07-09, 08:21 AM
Hal56
Pole Position

Hey--I am in the north of 60 crowd. :-)

We have the RX for normal use--adult outings

we have the Bimmer for fun.

Would like a cheap toyota corolla just for going to grocery stores--perhaps a Vespa.
Old 07-07-09, 09:51 PM
LexFather

What naysayers don't even realize is Lexus themselves advertises it as a "Luxury Utility Vehicle".
http://www.lexus.com/

It says luxury utility, not sports utility.

Old 07-08-09, 05:19 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

In this Lexus press release, Lexus called the new RX a luxury sport utility vehicle. I can understand the luxury part, but where is the sport?

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/l...ted-85212.aspx
Old 07-08-09, 10:35 PM
LexFather

In this Lexus press release, Lexus called the new RX a luxury sport utility vehicle. I can understand the luxury part, but where is the sport?

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/l...ted-85212.aspx
The RX drives "sporty" I mean what do you want a Cayenne Turbo? Every generation RX has gotten sportier. If you want fluffy, drive a first gen RX 300. Now thats a car with NO sporty intentions.

The new RX now offers up to 19" wheels AND it offers a sport kit for people that want more sport. Ironically those asking for it on here have NO INTEREST buying it.

RX ads don't show the vehicle ripping up the streets if you haven't noticed. They show the qualities of the vehicle. If anything Lexus engineers are probably trying to make the car sportier so car mags can **** about it. The RX has been by FAR the best selling luxury SUV in class. People LOVE it for its merits.

Some people need to get it out their SKULLS that not every vehicle needs to be sporty, wants to be sporty or was meant to be sporty. They also need to realize sporty does not equate to superior.

If you want sporty, if its that important to go faster to tip your SUV over, there are TONS of other SUVs to choose from!

Old 07-09-09, 05:34 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

The RX drives "sporty"
I am confuse, at 1st you say the RX is not sporty, then 5 post later, you say it is sporty. You need to make up my mind for me

We all know the handling has improve a little bit in the 2010 RX, but sporty it is not. We dont need to go as far as comapring it to the Germans handling wise. Even when compare to its Japanese counterparts, the RX is still the worst handling SUV out there.

Last edited by The G Man; 07-09-09 at 06:03 AM.
Old 07-09-09, 09:38 AM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

We all know the handling has improve a little bit in the 2010 RX, but sporty it is not. We dont need to go as far as comapring it to the Germans handling wise. Even when compare to its Japanese counterparts, the RX is still the worst handling SUV out there.
I disagree. I drove the Venza, the Highlander, the Tribeca and the MDX.

The Venza comes standard with 20" wheels, and has a harsh ride. It wallows and has body roll.

The Highlander is fine, nothing interesting.

The Tribeca was a pig. The body roll was inescapable, the braking was bad, and the leg room in the second row was laughable.

So, of the other four Japanese SUVs I drove, the MDX was the best, the Highlander and RX350 about the same, and the Venza/Tribeca the worst.

I also noted a difference between the FWD and the AWD version of the RX350 - the AWD definitely cornered better than the FWD. I have hopes that the sport package on my ordered RX350 will be an even more distinct improvement.

Your claim that the RX350 is the worst Japanese-handling SUV is simply not true, IMO.

Sandi
Old 07-09-09, 09:59 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sandi_k
Your claim that the RX350 is the worst Japanese-handling SUV is simply not true, IMO.

Sandi
I never said the RX350 is the worst Japanese-handling SUV. What I say was it is the worst handling SUV when compare to its Japanese counterparts, which means Japanese entry level luxury SUV in the $40,000 to $50000 range. Both the MDX and the Infinity FX handles better than the RX.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend-RX vs Caddy new SUV