RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Motor Trend-RX vs Caddy new SUV

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-09, 02:10 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
I never said the RX350 is the worst Japanese-handling SUV. What I say was it is the worst handling SUV when compare to its Japanese counterparts, which means Japanese entry level luxury SUV in the $40,000 to $50000 range. Both the MDX and the Infinity FX handles better than the RX.
I don't really think FX and MDX are handling better than RX in every aspect. To me, RX seems easier for me to move wheels toward the directions I want. Maybe RX isn't cornering that well as MDX and FX in some circumstances, but overall RX is good in handling.

* From Wiki, the definition says "Car handling and vehicle handling is a description of the way wheeled vehicles perform transverse to their direction of motion, particularly during cornering and swerving. It also includes their stability when moving in a straight line.".
Old 07-09-09, 08:04 PM
data2009
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pardon my intrusion.

G-Man, I'm just curious, which sporty luxury SUV do you drive? FX, MDX, X5, Cayenne?

I find it quite amusing that in most posts you coming on like a steam locomotive with the same remarks over and over - RX is not sporty, RX is not sporty, while the rest of 10 RX owners (as in assuming those driving it on a regular basis) keep saying otherwise.

Sorry, did not mean to move you off your soap box. Please go on.

Last edited by data2009; 07-09-09 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-09-09, 08:10 PM
carnal_c30
Lexus Test Driver

wow the RX is not sporty handling.... and as far as the MDX, I dont believe it is either as far as I remember from the last gen mdx i drove.
The FX and X5 are sporty SUVs

i'm not saying the RX isnt good because of that but seriously it is not sporty
Old 07-10-09, 05:32 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by rxets
RX seems easier for me to move wheels toward the directions I want.
I am sorry rxets, but a light and numb steering feel is not sporty. You are confusing comfort with steering feedback. One thing good about the RX's steering is that, although it is too light and no feedback, it is very precise, like most vehicle in this price range should be.
Old 07-10-09, 09:06 AM
LexFather

Funny the RX outsells the Acura MDX, Infiniti EX, FX, Cayenne, X5, X6 and throw in a cute ute.... COMBINED.

I had a first gen RX. That thing was as sporty as a Deville. The new one is leaps and bounds a better vehicle and sportier. The RX main goal is not sportiness and clearly for consumers its not the main buying point. Still in 10 years, the RX now drives so much better than a 1999 RX. Again, a sport package is avail and 19" wheels. Seems to be enough sport for most people.

If people want more sporting SUVs that is fine. That is what choice is for. If someone wants to pick sport over utility that is their choice. You don't see RX owners saying over and over "its stupid, they should drive with less feedback, they should be less harsh". Clearly there is a smaller market for them.

In my driving multiple luxury SUVs I can honestly say NONE make me want to just rip up the pavement. I find it to be silly quite frankly. I tend to drive slower and with more sense in SUVs . I have no intentions of taking a corner twice the speed in a SUV b/c its capable of it.

Guess what. Sporty SUV owners don't either. They just want the IMAGE of it. For all the bragging on sporty SUVs, people don't drive them that way.

They drive their sporty SUV just like a Lexus RX. They just rather the sportier "image".

Which is fine. RX for me please as I am confident in my abilities.

Old 07-10-09, 10:13 AM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sorry rxets, but a light and numb steering feel is not sporty. You are confusing comfort with steering feedback. One thing good about the RX's steering is that, although it is too light and no feedback, it is very precise, like most vehicle in this price range should be.
RX isn't Sporty. And, I agreed "precisely" is the good term to define its handling.

I got the chance of driving daily '08Cayenne GTS for 3 more months, which was much better than X5 and FX if we're looking for "Sporty". Now, back to choose a new SUV for daily driving, for my preferences, RX is much better than MDX/FX in overall design/features/perforamnce/comfort/quietness/luxury.
Old 07-10-09, 10:52 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rxets
RX isn't Sporty. And, I agreed "precisely" is the good term to define its handling.

I got the chance of driving daily '08Cayenne GTS for 3 more months, which was much better than X5 and FX if we're looking for "Sporty". Now, back to choose a new SUV for daily driving, for my preferences, RX is much better than MDX/FX in overall design/features/perforamnce/comfort/quietness/luxury.
I never said the RX was not a good daily driving car, I just said it was not as sporty as the competition. Hack, the Camry is the number selling sedan in the US and the driving dynamics is terrible in that car.
Old 07-15-09, 05:42 AM
Hal56
Pole Position

http://wardsauto.com/testdrive/gm_cadillac_srx_090714/
Old 07-15-09, 06:42 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Very well stated

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Funny the RX outsells the Acura MDX, Infiniti EX, FX, Cayenne, X5, X6 and throw in a cute ute.... COMBINED.

I had a first gen RX. That thing was as sporty as a Deville. The new one is leaps and bounds a better vehicle and sportier. The RX main goal is not sportiness and clearly for consumers its not the main buying point. Still in 10 years, the RX now drives so much better than a 1999 RX. Again, a sport package is avail and 19" wheels. Seems to be enough sport for most people.

If people want more sporting SUVs that is fine. That is what choice is for. If someone wants to pick sport over utility that is their choice. You don't see RX owners saying over and over "its stupid, they should drive with less feedback, they should be less harsh". Clearly there is a smaller market for them.

In my driving multiple luxury SUVs I can honestly say NONE make me want to just rip up the pavement. I find it to be silly quite frankly. I tend to drive slower and with more sense in SUVs . I have no intentions of taking a corner twice the speed in a SUV b/c its capable of it.

Guess what. Sporty SUV owners don't either. They just want the IMAGE of it. For all the bragging on sporty SUVs, people don't drive them that way.

They drive their sporty SUV just like a Lexus RX. They just rather the sportier "image".

Which is fine. RX for me please as I am confident in my abilities.
Hey Gman
I've only been around here a few months, but while most of the posts are from owners that are positive about their cars or may be looking for answers to an issue, it seems the general tone of your posts is negative. I'm curious as to your motives. Do you own an RX or recent model Lexus? Whether you do or don't, why do you continue to linger on trash talking the RX in favor of other cars? Wouldn't you rather buy one and then post on their boards?

If I'm all wet here then I humbly apologize but I think I'm probably on target. And I welcome your response or explanation that gives me more of an understanding as to your point. But we know what we bought, we don't need someone trying to tell us in so many words we should have bought something else.

Just my take, like I said, I could be all wet.
Old 07-15-09, 07:34 AM
Hal56
Pole Position

Hi Jim:

couple of comments:

1) how do you get your segway into the rx? My sister in law needs one/has two actually and now that I am north of 60 it gets tougher and tougher to get it in the back (of our old suv as the rx is not due till Aug) . Do you just grab and lift (the only way I do it, but its getting old)

2) I posted the SRX info merely because it is a viable alternative--but I think GM is gonna see big trouble again. India and China both coming after the US market. And I believe the govt running and interferring with GM and Chrysler wil produce strange results.

not to mention that the SRX is still behind the RX curve --if Lexus wanted to make the RX a more sporty ride it obviously could have done that easily. Same for styling--but the trick is it has a huge group of satisfied customers and you have to be rather careful in messing with that.

Last edited by Hal56; 07-15-09 at 08:12 AM.
Old 07-15-09, 09:01 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hal56
Hi Jim:

couple of comments:

1) how do you get your segway into the rx? My sister in law needs one/has two actually and now that I am north of 60 it gets tougher and tougher to get it in the back (of our old suv as the rx is not due till Aug) . Do you just grab and lift (the only way I do it, but its getting old)
Good Morning Hal
I have two Segway ramps that I use to just power the base up and into the rear then shut it down and just reverse the procedure to remove it. Like you, I'm north of 60 (65) and don't relish the idea of dead lifting that awkward a device. In the RX300 even though there was less room, I could put it (2nd generation Seg) into the rear w/o removing the lean stear component because the hatch opening was wider. On this one even though the car is wider the hatch opening is not and I just remove the lean stear and power the base up the ramps then shut it off and turn it to an east/west configuration and lie it down and chock it with towels up against the side. Worked well that way on the trip. Then the light weight ramps just fold and lie in the back as well. Hope this helps.

PS, if you put two in, you can put the real seat backs down and both can enter and ride east/west with the leansteer still attached as there is more room to push it in then maneuver it sideways. You'll need to open one rear door to finish the positioning. Chock in same manner. It's a pain the 1st time or two but gets easier as you become more familiar with the maneuvering.

Last edited by Cruiter; 07-15-09 at 09:14 AM.
Old 07-15-09, 10:40 AM
Hal56
Pole Position

umm--a ramp would be a good idea for lexus to have as an accessory. Since hte average age of the rx owner is above average, it does make sense.

did you make your own ramp?
Old 07-15-09, 12:13 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Hey Gman
I've only been around here a few months, but while most of the posts are from owners that are positive about their cars or may be looking for answers to an issue, it seems the general tone of your posts is negative. I'm curious as to your motives. Do you own an RX or recent model Lexus? Whether you do or don't, why do you continue to linger on trash talking the RX in favor of other cars? Wouldn't you rather buy one and then post on their boards?

If I'm all wet here then I humbly apologize but I think I'm probably on target. And I welcome your response or explanation that gives me more of an understanding as to your point. But we know what we bought, we don't need someone trying to tell us in so many words we should have bought something else.

Just my take, like I said, I could be all wet.
My wife had a 07 RX, although it’s a very reliable SUV, it’s just not for me, my wife love it. I have owned 3 Lexus in the last 10 years or so, a ES, GX and a GS.
Let me just say that if every poster here is a Lexus cheer leader and fanboy, this would be a very unrealistic and boring forum. I understand that this is a Lexus forum and every negative thing I say about any Lexus will be challenge.
I don’t have a motive here nor am I here to trash Lexus. I am simply expressing my opinion and offer a different view. You may or may not agree with me but I think we can all debate like civilized adults here. I get a lot more harsh treatment when I am in the BMW forum posting my opinion about BMWs
Old 07-15-09, 12:36 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

My wife had a 07 RX, although it’s a very reliable SUV, it’s just not for me, my wife love it. I have owned 3 Lexus in the last 10 years or so, a ES, GX and a GS.
Let me just say that if every poster here is a Lexus cheer leader and fanboy, this would be a very unrealistic and boring forum. I understand that this is a Lexus forum and every negative thing I say about any Lexus will be challenge.
I don’t have a motive here nor am I here to trash Lexus. I am simply expressing my opinion and offer a different view. You may or may not agree with me but I think we can all debate like civilized adults here. I get a lot more harsh treatment when I am in the BMW forum posting my opinion about BMWs
I'm just responding to the way I read 'your' response. You or your wife don't currently own a Lexus. You get bad treatment on the BMW board. But, Hey, it's a free world. You must like stirring controversy here but offer or get no benefit. Am I reading correctly or did I miss your point? "I understand that this is a Lexus forum and every negative thing I say about any Lexus will be challenge." Just enlighten me if you would and tell me why you spend so much time here saying negative things if you are not a current owner. You have a right to express your opinions, I realize that, I'm just looking for your motivation.

Sorry folks for going off-topic here, I'll try to behave now.
Old 07-15-09, 12:51 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Cruiter
I'm just responding to the way I read 'your' response. You or your wife don't currently own a Lexus. You get bad treatment on the BMW board. But, Hey, it's a free world. You must like stirring controversy here but offer or get no benefit. Am I reading correctly or did I miss your point? "I understand that this is a Lexus forum and every negative thing I say about any Lexus will be challenge." Just enlighten me if you would and tell me why you spend so much time here saying negative things if you are not a current owner. You have a right to express your opinions, I realize that, I'm just looking for your motivation.

Sorry folks for going off-topic here, I'll try to behave now.
Like I have already said, I dont have a motive here. Why does everyone who is not in love with the new RX have to have a motive? Am I stirring up controversy just because I dont agree with with your opinion on a certain model of Lexus?

Quick Reply: Motor Trend-RX vs Caddy new SUV