RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Motor Trend-RX vs Caddy new SUV

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-09, 11:11 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DNC
An RX at 100 mph is little more than a runaway vehicle. I like our RX but it, like most other SUV's, is not a vehicle I would want to be in at 100 mph.
I've driven a 2010 RX 87 mph, it's not much less than 100.... It felt really smooth and safe.
Old 07-19-09, 01:34 PM
data2009
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DNC
Our roads, our cars, and most of all our drivers are not prepared for a US version of the autobahn. For the most part we are a nation of unskilled drivers because we hand out license as if it's a right and not a privilege. There is much more to driving at higher speeds that what "feels" good. In reality my RX at high speeds is a death trap; it is not designed for high speeds or wild lane changes. It's designed for comfort at legal speed limits.
There is really not that much difference in going at 80 or 120 mph, if you going on a straight line, without traffic around you, and the road is in good condition. If you hit a pothole, or any other obstacle on the road, I don't think it would matter much, either... so any vehicle technically is a death trap. With high-performance breaks, you may have a chance, but that's true sports car performance. As far as "sporty" SUV goes, being able to change lanes at high speeds because "the just" driver in the middle lane doing 50 decides its his/her 'right-of-way' to make it into fast lane without signal and without acceleration, without having your end fish tail or your wheels sleep, just about does it for me. Also, having H-rated (130mph) tires helps, although I am not feeling Bridgestones are the good fit for RX.

The secret behind German autobahns, of course, lies in a driver education, not the actual roads. Everyone drives in the line matching their driving and speed (and vehicle class). I gotta admit, though, it was annoying at times, doing 120 mph and being flashed at by passing MB 600s doing around 160mph.
Old 07-19-09, 01:53 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by data2009
The secret behind German autobahns, of course, lies in a driver education, not the actual roads.
The German Autobahn is much thicker than our roads and much better maintained. We agree driver education is VERY important but the condition of the road is equally as important with any vehicle especially one with the center of gravity like the RX, or any SUV.
Driving the speeds some of you are mentioning is just stupid giving the circumstances. I hope I am not a casualty of you "thinking" you are in control.

Last edited by DNC; 07-19-09 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-21-09, 12:13 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I agree with DNC, driving the RX at over a 100 MPH is just plain stupid, and the US is full of dumb drivers like this. That’s why there are so many SUV flip over. Lexus SUVs are actually more of a death trap than most other luxury SUVs due to the isolation from driver to the car and the road. The suspension is also too soft for safe high speed maneuvers and the noise isolation, no steering feedback all contributes to the problem. Like DNC said, you may be ok going at 100 MPH on the RX, but one little incident that may cause you to do a emergency maneuver, you may end up upside down.
Old 07-21-09, 12:19 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by data2009
The secret behind German autobahns, of course, lies in a driver education, not the actual roads.
i heard that getting a german driver's license is very tough to get.

Originally Posted by The G Man
I agree with DNC, driving the RX at over a 100 MPH is just plain stupid, and the US is full of dumb drivers like this. That’s why there are so many SUV flip over. Lexus SUVs are actually more of a death trap than most other luxury SUVs due to the isolation from driver to the car and the road. The suspension is also too soft for safe high speed maneuvers and the noise isolation, no steering feedback all contributes to the problem. Like DNC said, you may be ok going at 100 MPH on the RX, but one little incident that may cause you to do a emergency maneuver, you may end up upside down.
just slam the RX on coilovers, center of gravity is lowered and chance of a flip over is minimized (note i did not say eliminated).

Last edited by Stormforge; 07-21-09 at 12:23 PM.
Old 07-21-09, 01:54 PM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

gosh, will you stop talking about cars flipping over??
Old 07-21-09, 03:50 PM
LexFather

Any statistical proof?

Old 07-21-09, 04:26 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Most Appropriate

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Any statistical proof?

Thank you so much for that. The 2010 is a great Luxury SPT/UTE by definition, sales history, and popularity in the class. Leave it there. Monday morning quarterback comments from non-owners is just over the top. Thanks again.
Old 07-21-09, 05:06 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Arrow

I really don't want to jump into this war, but, IMHO, I should say that driving any SUV or whatever xxV with higher gravity over 100 MPH is dangerous to the driver, passengers, pedestrians, and anything around you.

Originally Posted by DNC
... with any vehicle especially one with the center of gravity like the RX, or any SUV. Driving the speeds ...
Old 07-21-09, 05:12 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Also, I have to confess myself to be the speeding driver in any typle of vehicles or motorcycles since 18.
Old 07-21-09, 07:09 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I've gone at, close to, or over 100 mph too many times to count (and I am holding the camera when I did this)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mnb_ilGDAU8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvJzY1DB0tQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iStkeBfSb10

and the roads weren't as nice as the ones here in the U.S.

The point being is that if you don't know how to drive at those speeds, you have no business taking the vehicle up to those speeds in the first place.

And on another point, a Lexus SUV is fully capable of doing a lot of things, even at high speed.
Old 07-21-09, 07:34 PM
Hal56
Pole Position

it is not just knowing how to drive at high speeds--it is also understanding the myriad of problems that can pop up suddenly and before you know it -its all over.

10 years ago was driving my relatively new vette at 135 in New Mexico --no crossroads, no traffic--no brains

then it struck me--what happens if I blow a tire--back down to a safer 90 MPH.

But it was a rush at 135. Make sure all parts of the car can handle it.
Old 07-22-09, 03:54 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Hal56
it is not just knowing how to drive at high speeds--it is also understanding the myriad of problems that can pop up suddenly and before you know it -its all over.

10 years ago was driving my relatively new vette at 135 in New Mexico --no crossroads, no traffic--no brains

then it struck me--what happens if I blow a tire--back down to a safer 90 MPH.

But it was a rush at 135. Make sure all parts of the car can handle it.
Back in the spring of '87 I was well over 110 on interstate 75 heading south from Chattanooga toward Atlanta on my BMW R100 bike. I was running with a bunch of cars and weaving from lane to lane. All of a sudden something like a caution light went off in my brain and said the 'what if's' about tires blowing, rocks in the air, etc and I got it back down to 70 so someday I could type this.

I want my statistic to read I lived long enough to **** off everybody . Not just a vanishing blot on the asphalt. By last count it's going to take quite a few more years.
Old 07-22-09, 04:53 AM
Luvmy350
Lead Lap

Thanks 1SickLex.....that should be posted on alot of these topics....did anyone understand about beating a dead horse?????
Old 07-22-09, 05:25 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Heck, a Dodge neon can go over a 100 MPH, that doesnt make it safe. And for those of you who think they are good drivers and know how to drive fast with any car, guess what, other driver on the road might not be as good as you.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend-RX vs Caddy new SUV