RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Motor Trend-RX vs Caddy new SUV

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-09 | 09:32 PM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by kitlz
I disagree. My sister was driving mom's 01 RX a few years back and had to avoid a tractor trailer wheel bouncing out of control. It came from the other side of the highway. She was doing 75 and had to make some serious and yes, SUV-dangerous maneuvers to avoid it as it bounced around and changed direction. To this day she credits the RX for saving her life and can't believe it did not flip. This is from a person that used to drive Audis, Porsches, and currently has a Land Rover. Maybe she'll get a Lexus next.
Don't be fooled. In the link below you will see how SUV's behave in even low speed crashes much less at excessive road speeds. This happens to be local story that involves an RX. The ultimate responsibilty lies with the driver to know these things will roll easier than a car. I am glad your sister is okay.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/5438907/

Last edited by DNC; 07-26-09 at 09:40 PM.
Old 07-26-09 | 10:38 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by data2009
That's an interesting article. All comparisons aside, what I do not understand is the thinking process behind GM's choice of powertrain for SRX that makes 223 lb/ft torque for a 4300+ lb SUV, and introduction of a 'healthy' turbo option 6 months later, instead of offering it from the beginning. 300hp and 297lb/ft torque sound much better, and would make it for a much closer comparison to its direct competitors.
Yup, lets see we are going to target the RX but make it slower, louder, less luxurious and just as expensive. Oh but it will win a magazine review, you know, b/c people are driving ***** out in their SUVs.

I wasn't aware they switched platforms either, its no longer based on the CTS.

If someone TRULY TRULY was worried about sport, they WOULD get a CTS Wagon. I think its a looker!
Old 07-27-09 | 08:32 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by texan629
Just because the big mac is the best selling hamburger in the fast food business, doesn't mean it's the best burger.
The RX is a prime Burger from Ruth Chris thank you.

Its getting a little old with the "oh if it sells it can't be good" that the internet has spawned. Indeed with some vehicles they can be best selling and be considered best in class. RX, 3, 5, Camry, LS, Corvette are all examples of best selling in class and arguably best in class.
Old 07-27-09 | 09:46 AM
Trexus

Originally Posted by texan629
Just because the big mac is the best selling hamburger in the fast food business, doesn't mean it's the best burger.
A Big Mac is fast and cheap and you're right just because the big mac is the highest selling burger doesn't mean it's the best. I'd rather have an In-N-Out burger now that's what a burger is all about.

An RX is quality and reliability and more people will pay for it than any other entry level SUV in it's class period...

Last edited by Trexus; 07-28-09 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-27-09 | 09:23 PM
yanje03
Rookie

Originally Posted by DNC
Don't be fooled. In the link below you will see how SUV's behave in even low speed crashes much less at excessive road speeds. This happens to be local story that involves an RX. The ultimate responsibilty lies with the driver to know these things will roll easier than a car. I am glad your sister is okay.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/5438907/
the link you post told us if the driver didn't drive lexus RX, he/she prob died already. I have friends drive lexus fall into a hill/cliff and stilll alive. after that he and his relative would only buy lexus.
Old 07-27-09 | 11:36 PM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by yanje03
the link you post told us if the driver didn't drive lexus RX, he/she prob died already. I have friends drive lexus fall into a hill/cliff and stilll alive. after that he and his relative would only buy lexus.
Maybe the fact they drive Lexus is what saved them. The Lexus gods decided to spare their lives.

Last edited by DNC; 07-27-09 at 11:45 PM.
Old 07-27-09 | 11:49 PM
yanje03
Rookie

Originally Posted by DNC
Maybe the fact they drive Lexus is what saved them. The Lexus gods decided to spare their lives.
That's make sense when driving lexus will get lower insurance than driving BMW.
Old 07-28-09 | 12:02 AM
DNC
Advanced

That's make sense when driving lexus will get lower insurance than driving BMW.
It doesn't make a difference what kind of SUV we drive we had better be mindful of the chance of rollover. The SUV in the link I sent was only traveling 35 mph. In our 2007 RX the head curtain airbags don't deploy in a rollover. I am hopeful that I understand correctly that our new RX will have airbags that deploy in a rollover.
Old 07-28-09 | 06:29 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kitlz
I disagree. My sister was driving mom's 01 RX a few years back and had to avoid a tractor trailer wheel bouncing out of control. It came from the other side of the highway. She was doing 75 and had to make some serious and yes, SUV-dangerous maneuvers to avoid it as it bounced around and changed direction. To this day she credits the RX for saving her life and can't believe it did not flip. This is from a person that used to drive Audis, Porsches, and currently has a Land Rover. Maybe she'll get a Lexus next.
Surely you are not compare the RX to Audi and Porsche when it comes to handling at high speed.
Have you ever notice that warning label in the sun visor on SUVs? They dont have the same label in sedans.
BTW, I seen a LR3 roll over doing 30 MPH last year.
Old 07-28-09 | 03:58 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by The G Man
Surely you are not compare the RX to Audi and Porsche when it comes to handling at high speed.
Have you ever notice that warning label in the sun visor on SUVs? They dont have the same label in sedans.
BTW, I seen a LR3 roll over doing 30 MPH last year.
I was not trying to compare cars. My sister is someone that knows how to drive these cars and SUVs on road and off - no novice here. However, she does not push the limits. She knows what she had to do in this case was extreme. I credit her experience, the RX and luck with saving her life.

By the way, she burned the SUV warning label with her cigarette
Old 07-28-09 | 07:14 PM
yanje03
Rookie

Originally Posted by DNC
It doesn't make a difference what kind of SUV we drive we had better be mindful of the chance of rollover. The SUV in the link I sent was only traveling 35 mph. In our 2007 RX the head curtain airbags don't deploy in a rollover. I am hopeful that I understand correctly that our new RX will have airbags that deploy in a rollover.
It definitley make a difference what kind of SUV you drive had better chance rollover.
Old 07-28-09 | 08:42 PM
LexFather

Surely you are not comparing a Nissan to an Audi.
At this rate we should all trade our cars in and buy Audis b/c you know they are the greatest cars ever made.

Did you not read the part where the member said they owned the previous vehicles?
Old 07-28-09 | 08:47 PM
DNC
Advanced

It definitley make a difference what kind of SUV you drive had better chance rollover.
Reread what I posted. You don't seem to understand.
Old 07-28-09 | 08:59 PM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
At this rate we should all trade our cars in and buy Audis b/c you know they are the greatest cars ever made.

Did you not read the part where the member said they owned the previous vehicles?
I think what the G Man is saying is let's not over estimate what we have. If I had wanted a German SUV I would have bought one, but at the same time I know my RX isn't capable of the performance of the top German SUV's. I actually wanted the soft more isolated ride, however I don't want my SUV's front bumper falling off.
Old 07-28-09 | 09:03 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DNC
I think what the G Man is saying is let's not over estimate what we have. If I had wanted a German SUV I would have bought one, but at the same time I know my RX isn't capable of the performance of the top German SUV's. I actually wanted the soft more isolated ride, however I don't want my SUV's front bumper falling off.
I do not disagree a Cayenne or X5 is sportier than a RX, it better well be. The constant badgering of the RX b/c its priorities are different is OLD and BEATING A DEAD HORSE!!!

Quick Reply: Motor Trend-RX vs Caddy new SUV