RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Motor Trend-RX vs Caddy new SUV

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-09, 09:24 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I do not disagree a Cayenne or X5 is sportier than a RX, it better well be. The constant badgering of the RX b/c its priorities are different is OLD and BEATING A DEAD HORSE!!!
I am not badgering the RX. I have my third one on order, but just because I have bought one doesn't mean I can't listen to other people's opinion and see the limitations of my own car. I am fine with people of different opinions, I enjoy the discussion. I'm not on this forum looking just the positive things about my SUV. My ego isn't tied to what I drive, yet the subject of automobiles interest me greatly. This isn't a Friday night high school football game. It's just a car.
Old 07-29-09, 06:00 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Well said DNC. I have owned Lexus for the last 12 years. During all those years, I never had any illusions about Lexus being anything else but a comfortable and reliable soft cruiser. If any of you guys remember the 1st gen ES and LS, they were boats, handles like a 70s Lincoln Continental. They may have made improvement on their suspension thru out the years, but handling is still way behind the Germans. That is not to say Lexus is lacking, it just means that it is design for a difference type of buyer. I buy Lexus because I am looking for a reliable car, not a high performance car.
Old 07-29-09, 12:26 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I buy Lexus because I am looking for a reliable car, not a high performance car.
I will add to that statement comfort and customer service. If the German had been serious about customer service I would likely have never walked into the Lexus showroom. I think the same happened with a lot of my friends.
Old 07-29-09, 12:57 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DNC
I am not badgering the RX. I have my third one on order, but just because I have bought one doesn't mean I can't listen to other people's opinion and see the limitations of my own car. I am fine with people of different opinions, I enjoy the discussion. I'm not on this forum looking just the positive things about my SUV. My ego isn't tied to what I drive, yet the subject of automobiles interest me greatly. This isn't a Friday night high school football game. It's just a car.
I wasn't talking about you.

Old 07-29-09, 01:28 PM
yanje03
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well said DNC. I have owned Lexus for the last 12 years. During all those years, I never had any illusions about Lexus being anything else but a comfortable and reliable soft cruiser. If any of you guys remember the 1st gen ES and LS, they were boats, handles like a 70s Lincoln Continental. They may have made improvement on their suspension thru out the years, but handling is still way behind the Germans. That is not to say Lexus is lacking, it just means that it is design for a difference type of buyer. I buy Lexus because I am looking for a reliable car, not a high performance car.
I dont like German car handling. I was trying to force myself like it since I dont real want to buy Japanese car but I just never/ever like it somehow. My point is their handling was designed to fit different person. but most of us argree Lexus has better reliablity. Service will never be counted for me. Dealer are all the local people and how you expect them too much different? If you pay more you will get better service. All money came from your pocket.
Old 07-29-09, 09:50 PM
data2009
Pole Position

Oh, poor horse! I see we back beating it. It definetely suffered a few roll overs already.

No Caddy, except for CTS, deserves this much attention (look at the number of views for this thread).

Funny, taking opinions of a former sedan owner, trash-tallking about non-sporty RX, and suv rollovers, without even driving one.

Get over it. There is more safety to any SUV than any car. It only takes a day of driving in heavy rain or snow to never want to drive another sedan.

Last edited by data2009; 07-29-09 at 09:55 PM.
Old 07-30-09, 05:51 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by data2009
Get over it. There is more safety to any SUV than any car. It only takes a day of driving in heavy rain or snow to never want to drive another sedan.
Just because you prefer SUV, that doesnt mean its for everyone. My last 3 cars were SUVs and recently went back to a sedan and loving it, it just handles so much better.
Old 07-30-09, 09:30 PM
data2009
Pole Position

Just because you prefer SUV, that doesnt mean its for everyone. My last 3 cars were SUVs and recently went back to a sedan and loving it, it just handles so much better.
Just because I prefer a cross-over SUV, I am not going to GS forum and start trashing sedans for poor handling in snow or rain. I had my share seeing LSs and MB 600s trying to move off the snow pile and just spinning the wheels for hours. I saw Towncar dive into a pool of water in a heavy rain and water flawing inside the cabin. To each their own.

Your posts state you owned Lexus for years, so you must have owned some earlier RX models. Your fixation on 'sporty' SUV kinda gives clues you'd stay away from GX or LX. That explains alot of negative comments about RX, including early no soul comments and SUV for 60+'s. 1998-2000 RX was a trend-setter, but it drove like appliance. A good looking one, and reliable, but 0 fun. 2004-2007 models were better, the trend and fixation on a 'SUV for women' was already in. For me, minivanish front seats and 'space saver for purse' instead of normal console were the deciding factors against it.

2010 is the first RX model that appeals to me and injects plenty of 'fun factor' and has cool gadgets, while still trying to cater to massive followers from previous generations. Its by no means perfect. I have a few things I dislike, but not the driving. Balancing act is a tough game, and you win some, you loose some... but do not compare your previous rides to it. Looks can be deceiving.

Just as with new Caddy SRX. It has the looks, but does it handle the daily commute's routines?

Last edited by data2009; 07-31-09 at 07:32 AM.
Old 07-31-09, 06:58 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by data2009
Your posts state you owned Lexus for years, so you must have owned some earlier RX models. Your fixation on 'sporty' SUV kinda gives clues you'd stay away from GX or LX.
Are related to President Obama? Because you should really know all the facts before you make any comment. I had a 05 GX470 for your information.
Just becuase I made a comment about the RX not beening as sporty as the competitors and that SUVs have a higher roll over risk than sedans, that doesnt mean I am trash talking the RX as you put it. It is simply the facts, you can agree or disagree, but its still the facts.

Last edited by The G Man; 07-31-09 at 07:07 AM.
Old 07-31-09, 07:24 AM
data2009
Pole Position

Are related to President Obama? Because you should really know all the facts before you make any comment. I had a 05 GX470 for your information.
Just becuase I made a comment about the RX not beening as sporty as the competitors, that doesnt mean I am trash talking the RX as you put it. It is simply the facts, you can agree or disagree, but its still the facts.
Spellcheck and proofreading is a wonderful thing, you know. Are you related to former President Bush?

I do not need to know useless information. So you mean you never driven a sporty SUV before? Your posts are not 'facts', they are your opinions, just like others. Maybe some, like DNC, want to know from others' opinions what the driving limitations of 4,300 lb suv are like, but my facts are driving RX on a daily basis in a normal traffic routine.

Does RX handle like a sports car? Absolutely not. If all I cared was a sports car handling, I would be driving FX. Does it offer a sporty ride, along with a great balance of refinement, luxury, interior space, reliability, and technology? Absolutely!

Now, comparing it to SRX...

Last edited by data2009; 07-31-09 at 07:47 AM.
Old 08-02-09, 04:58 PM
LexFather

This is now closed