RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Motor Trend-RX vs Caddy new SUV

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-09, 06:37 AM
Hal56
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor Trend-RX vs Caddy new SUV

Motor Trend picked the Caddy over teh RX--because its more fun to drive--

however, they acknowledged the Caddy is slower, less fuel efficient and not built as well nor as well appointed.

go figure
Old 06-30-09, 07:42 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's stupid. it's a luxury SUV. it's not supposed to be sporty. it's supposed to be comfy and well built.
Old 06-30-09, 01:05 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Lexus has no soul, that’s the problem, A SUV can be comfortable and fun to drive at the same time. Horsepower and gas mileage have never been a problem with Lexus, it’s the suspension and the steering, only the over 65 owner can appreciate the Lexus suspension and the steering . Other younger Lexus buy it for its reliability and quality, but motor trend is not JD power or consumer report, they do not care about reliability and quality. That’s why the RX lost to the Caddy.
Old 06-30-09, 01:11 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Lexus has no soul, that’s the problem, A SUV can be comfortable and fun to drive at the same time. Horsepower and gas mileage have never been a problem with Lexus, it’s the suspension and the steering, only the over 65 owner can appreciate the Lexus suspension and the steering . Other younger Lexus buy it for its reliability and quality, but motor trend is not JD power or consumer report, they do not care about reliability and quality. That’s why the RX lost to the Caddy.
i'm sure that if lexus really wanted to, they could build a sporty suv. they are building the rx based on demographics; people wanting a sporty suv would probably get a bmw x5/x6 or audi q5/q7
Old 06-30-09, 01:13 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
i'm sure that if lexus really wanted to, they could build a sporty suv.
You mean like how they made the IS to be a BMW 3 series killer and the GS to be out sell the BMW 5 series.
Old 06-30-09, 01:20 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
You mean like how they made the IS to be a BMW 3 series killer and the GS to be out sell the BMW 5 series.
yeah, exactly!
Old 06-30-09, 02:35 PM
Hal56
Pole Position

We drove the x5 before deciding on the rx---but we are north of 60 and as my wife said--its time to have a refined car.

We do have a 3 series bimmer--which my wife does not like due to the harsh ride.

but alsom I think the days of hard driving are about over, period.
Old 06-30-09, 08:18 PM
tC350
Driver

This was a BULL***** review, the RX MOPPED the floor with the Caddy in every category but it somehow wins due to steering and brake feel?

This is why I no longer subscribe to print mags....
Old 06-30-09, 09:40 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hal56
We drove the x5 before deciding on the rx---but we are north of 60 and as my wife said--its time to have a refined car.

We do have a 3 series bimmer--which my wife does not like due to the harsh ride.

but alsom I think the days of hard driving are about over, period.
Yeah, I didn't look at the X5 due to the harshness. I drove the Audi Q5 and Q7, and decided one was too hard, and one was a friggin' boat.

We're in our 40's, but we appreciate refinement, quality, and ride comfort. So the Lexus is the front-runner.

Sandi
Old 07-01-09, 05:26 AM
Hal56
Pole Position

Sandi--I have a Vette and a Bimmer for my cars so when we want to have "fun" driving we have those--when we want to be practical we will have the RX. Whiich is also right sized for "Costco runs" .

we have an SUV now and frankly that was too harsh a ride for everyday trips--RX is a bit smaller and easier to drive, park, etc. A little lower to get in and out of.

We can go out with another couple in "style" and comfort. That is kind of important.
Old 07-01-09, 09:30 AM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sandi--I have a Vette and a Bimmer for my cars so when we want to have "fun" driving we have those--when we want to be practical we will have the RX. Whiich is also right sized for "Costco runs" .

we have an SUV now and frankly that was too harsh a ride for everyday trips--RX is a bit smaller and easier to drive, park, etc. A little lower to get in and out of.

We can go out with another couple in "style" and comfort. That is kind of important.
Hal:

Yeah, my DH has a roadster, so we use that for fun, top-down driving too. The problem is the trunk is too small for anything other than a couple of gym bags, so although we *have* used it for a nearby weekend getaway, we're limited to pretty much one pair of shoes.

When we're doing a longer, further-away weekend trip, having a cushier ride is important - both of us have had spinal surgery, and it's *painful* to drive in the roadster for 6 hours.

Sandi
Old 07-01-09, 11:12 AM
Hal56
Pole Position

Sandi-life is a series of trade offs--

my vette is great on cross country trips--I can fit a set of golf clubs and 2 small bags and still put the top down--the bimmer is a hardtop convertible--and barely enought room for 2 duffle bags--the clubs have to go in back seat.

Can't wait til we get the rx 450--then I can take my wifes car to shopping center all the time (LOL-why ding my cars)
Old 07-01-09, 01:42 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Sandi-life is a series of trade offs--

my vette is great on cross country trips--I can fit a set of golf clubs and 2 small bags and still put the top down--the bimmer is a hardtop convertible--and barely enought room for 2 duffle bags--the clubs have to go in back seat.

Can't wait til we get the rx 450--then I can take my wifes car to shopping center all the time (LOL-why ding my cars)
Hal,
How long before you expect delivery? We're down to one car now as I'm the only driver so this fits the bill just fine. When I worked for Porsche in late 70's and early 80's I couldn't see me driving anything but a Teutonic 5spd on windy roads. Then I went to work for Acura and found out cars from the land of rice were pretty well built. Re-joined the Navy in '88 and by retirement in '03 was driving an RX. Yep, we evolve don't we? But I think I'm stuck now on the RX. SUV w/good mileage will probably be what I drive until ...
Old 07-01-09, 01:48 PM
Hal56
Pole Position

Jim--we expect delivery mid August.

I was an MP--so don't get too friendly LOL
Old 07-01-09, 11:00 PM
data2009
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tC350
This was a BULL***** review, the RX MOPPED the floor with the Caddy in every category but it somehow wins due to steering and brake feel?

This is why I no longer subscribe to print mags....
Ever since MT crowned Hyundai Veracruz a top pick over RX, and Mazda CX9 over MDX, I read the mag exclusively on the can. Makes the BULL flaw well with the ***T.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend-RX vs Caddy new SUV