RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Headrest fell apart

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-09, 07:18 PM
Btmnk21
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headrest fell apart

yeah it did...very weird and made me very upset. I had driven about 300 miles and when I stopped to get some food and move things in the back seat I noticed that the headrest leather was completely undone and hanging!

It apparently has plastic interlocks and velcro that folds up into the headrest to give the apparence of stitching. Needless to say its time to visit the dealer.

I also did not touch the headrest since Day 1 when I adjusted it for the first time.
Old 07-06-09, 07:38 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Btmnk21
yeah it did...very weird and made me very upset. I had driven about 300 miles and when I stopped to get some food and move things in the back seat I noticed that the headrest leather was completely undone and hanging!

It apparently has plastic interlocks and velcro that folds up into the headrest to give the apparence of stitching. Needless to say its time to visit the dealer.

I also did not touch the headrest since Day 1 when I adjusted it for the first time.
Hmm, Please tell us what the dealer says. Now I'll have to look at mine. Any chance you could post a photo or two?
Old 07-08-09, 07:47 AM
Btmnk21
Pole Position

Here's a photo of the problem
Attached Thumbnails Headrest fell apart-0708091044.jpg  
Old 07-08-09, 07:57 AM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got to check mine later... quite scary.

Thanks for the shot.
Old 07-08-09, 09:01 AM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

i think this has to do with the active headrests when you get into a rear collision. Because the headrest needs to move up and meet your head sooner, the leather has to move with the expanding part maybe?

or else this seems like a lame oversight
Old 07-08-09, 02:13 PM
Btmnk21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RXSF
i think this has to do with the active headrests when you get into a rear collision. Because the headrest needs to move up and meet your head sooner, the leather has to move with the expanding part maybe?

or else this seems like a lame oversight
Don't think that's it. The head rest adjusts just fine. Think of the headrest as one unit it should have no flex and should not open up like this. Poorly put together. This is problem #3 or 4 so far (wipers make clicking noise, mirrors do not return after tilt, loose window trim- sheeeesssshhh)
Old 07-08-09, 05:51 PM
DOUS
Pole Position

Btmnk21, is your RX from Cambridge or Japan?
Old 07-08-09, 06:42 PM
Btmnk21
Pole Position

It is from Cambridge
Old 07-08-09, 07:06 PM
sightdev
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't think that's it. The head rest adjusts just fine. Think of the headrest as one unit it should have no flex and should not open up like this. Poorly put together. This is problem #3 or 4 so far (wipers make clicking noise, mirrors do not return after tilt, loose window trim- sheeeesssshhh)
Hope you don’t have those “bad” assembled RX. Mine is about 2 months old now and so far everything seems to be holding up without any problem. Compared to previous 05 RX, 10 RX seems to have little more body flex and I can especially feel the flexing in bumpy road. Overall the ride is noticeably quieter and smoother than 05. One of few dislike; “buffering” and “whistling” noise when the rear windows are opened few inches or more. Any speed above 40mph, it is so bad that we don’t open the rear windows at all. We usually run A/C up front and boys like to open rear windows but they can’t anymore because of noise.
Old 07-08-09, 08:00 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by sightdev
Hope you don’t have those “bad” assembled RX. Mine is about 2 months old now and so far everything seems to be holding up without any problem. Compared to previous 05 RX, 10 RX seems to have little more body flex and I can especially feel the flexing in bumpy road. Overall the ride is noticeably quieter and smoother than 05. One of few dislike; “buffering” and “whistling” noise when the rear windows are opened few inches or more. Any speed above 40mph, it is so bad that we don’t open the rear windows at all. We usually run A/C up front and boys like to open rear windows but they can’t anymore because of noise.
I'm off topic here, but I like the fact that the A/C doesn't drag anything from the engine on the 450h. Everything is electric, power steering, a/c, everything. No (0) belts.
Old 07-09-09, 04:26 AM
DOUS
Pole Position

It is from Cambridge
There seem to be a big difference in build quality between the models coming from Japan and those that were built in Cambridge. There was another post on here regarding a loose bumper, which I can only assume, was a vehicle built in Canada. I'm Hoping mine won't have any of the issues you're experiencing as it came from Japan. I'll be picking it up today. Please cross your fingers for me while I inspect it later.

I'm sorry you're having these issues. I'm hoping your dealer can resolve it to a satisfactory level especially since it's still under warranty.

Good luck!

Last edited by DOUS; 07-09-09 at 04:33 AM.
Old 07-09-09, 08:19 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

hmm......I might have to becareful when I take delivery of our New RX next week.
Old 07-09-09, 08:33 PM
Btmnk21
Pole Position

Heard it was a common problem from my lexus service guy. No solution besides tucking it back together but it is def. loose still. It is going to take an indefinite amount of time to replace the headrest with a new one from Japan...sigh
Old 07-11-09, 10:49 PM
DOUS
Pole Position

Got mine last Thursday and it didn't have the same issues that a few have been complaining about. So far I love this car! From handling to build quality to technology. My wife and kids love it too. One of my kids can watch DVDs while the other play his PSP on his own screen. They've really jammed this vehicle with enough technology!
Old 07-11-09, 11:40 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DOUS
Got mine last Thursday and it didn't have the same issues that a few have been complaining about. So far I love this car! From handling to build quality to technology. My wife and kids love it too. One of my kids can watch DVDs while the other play his PSP on his own screen. They've really jammed this vehicle with enough technology!
Congrats for the new one!!! This is the excellent news.

Quick Reply: Headrest fell apart