RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Loose Front Bumper From Canada

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-09, 11:31 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am assured by my dealership that Lexus has figured out a fix to this problem; they have even visited that dealership. Our sales person never denied the problems they are having. They were very honest.
It's my understanding that some customers refused to take delivery of their cars that came off the truck with the problem and bought other models, and a very few have gone to a different brand. I feel confident in my dealership that if our RX arrives off the truck with this issue it will be fixed. I too will refuse delivery if it isn't the way it should be before handing over this kind of money.
Looking back I could have been a wiser consumer and waited for a second year of this new model. I suspect next year's model will have all the bugs worked out.
Old 08-31-09, 03:43 PM
jacksonlui
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

regarding the OP
I'd be furious if Lexus said I caused the issue when it's obvious it's a defect. The way it was handled was wrong. I've noticed the gap in the bumper a few days after I took delivery. I'm sure if I go back it will be fixed during my free 1K service.
Old 08-31-09, 05:31 PM
KC001
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KC001
Update :
I have been in contact with Lexus customer service on the loose bumper issue, via e mail. First thing they called the service manager who had told me I caused the problem, then they called me. The problem is back on both sides now. Lexus still has my complaint open, no call back yet after initial contact. The impression I got was that they viewed the bumper as a non problem and was caused by customers being rough on the bumper. Still waiting since 8/10.
Took the car in today, thought it might be quick but the service agent got us a 2010 RX (900 Miles) loaner. Since the agent told me he had not seen the bumper issue on another 2010, I pointed out the 1 inch gap the loaner had on the passenger side bumper just below the headlight. He said he would have to get that car fixed also. On the way home he called my cell and informed me that the fix on my car would take the rest of the week! Looks like they have to order a new bumper, new clips and get trained by Lexus Corp. on the repair procedure. I still got the impression that the dealership service dept does not recognize this as a real issue. If I had not gone through Lexus Corp Customer Service nothing would have been done. Next update this Friday.
Old 08-31-09, 06:02 PM
DNC
Advanced

Took the car in today, thought it might be quick but the service agent got us a 2010 RX (900 Miles) loaner. Since the agent told me he had not seen the bumper issue on another 2010, I pointed out the 1 inch gap the loaner had on the passenger side bumper just below the headlight. He said he would have to get that car fixed also. On the way home he called my cell and informed me that the fix on my car would take the rest of the week! Looks like they have to order a new bumper, new clips and get trained by Lexus Corp. on the repair procedure. I still got the impression that the dealership service dept does not recognize this as a real issue. If I had not gone through Lexus Corp Customer Service nothing would have been done. Next update this Friday.
This is strange. We know all about the issue. My dealership knows all about the issue, yet your dealership knows nothing. Why haven't all dealerships been informed? What happens to people who have no knowlege of this? I guess they drive around with bumpers falling off.
This is poor business and goes aganist everything Lexus once stood for.

Last edited by DNC; 08-31-09 at 07:20 PM.
Old 08-31-09, 07:57 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by DNC
This is strange. We know all about the issue. My dealership knows all about the issue, yet your dealership knows nothing. Why haven't all dealerships been informed? What happens to people who have no knowlege of this? I guess they drive around with bumpers falling off.
This is poor business and goes aganist everything Lexus once stood for.
I agree this isn't right for the dealer, especially the dealer like Lexus. However, this is common problem for all the dealers when the issue is under the development from unknown to awareness, to recognition, to admission, to solution, to TSB, etc. I believe my dealer would say they don't know this and will stand on their comments "the dropping bumper is normal".

Unless TSB is issued, most of dealers will say "no" or "unknown" or "cannot" on the issue.

Lexus isn't the only carmakrer doing this, and they won't be the last one, either.
Old 08-31-09, 08:11 PM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by rxets
I agree this isn't right for the dealer, especially the dealer like Lexus. However, this is common problem for all the dealers when the issue is under the development from unknown to awareness, to recognition, to admission, to solution, to TSB, etc. I believe my dealer would say they don't know this and will stand on their comments "the dropping bumper is normal".

Unless TSB is issued, most of dealers will say "no" or "unknown" or "cannot" on the issue.

Lexus isn't the only carmakrer doing this, and they won't be the last one, either.
My dealership was very forthcoming regarding this issue and pushed for a fix. I am sorry to hear some of the rest of you have not been this lucky. With the problems being mention with the new RX I am very thankful for the dealership we have. A warranty is only as good as your dealership. I hope Lexus does not forget this. There has been plenty of time, from what I have been told, for Lexus to have issued a TSB.
Old 09-01-09, 09:40 AM
jacksonlui
Rookie

is there only one dealership in NV?
has the heat gotten to their heads? what's going on?
Old 09-04-09, 05:57 AM
super_ben7
Driver School Candidate

i am scheduled next week to have the bumper fixed. yeah!
Old 09-04-09, 10:33 PM
KC001
Driver School Candidate

Update 9/4/09 - Got the car back late today. Fit of the bumper to body on both sides is now very good, no gaps. Service department finally admitted that this is an official recognized problem. My car was the first one this dealer worked on for the "bumper fit problem". This is what Lexus calls it. I talked to the tech that worked on the car and he told me he was on the phone almost a full day with Lexus getting the fix right. The repair involves a new design for the bumper, new brackets under the bumper and new clips.

Hopefully things will not loosen up again.

2 dealerships in NV one North one South, 500 miles apart.
Old 09-05-09, 12:28 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Arrow bumper fit problem

KC001, thanks for your update.

I'm going to check with my dealer about this "bumper fit problem" prior to my next visit...
Old 09-08-09, 03:53 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Went to our stealership today, and they said the "fix" has not been finalized yet, and probably won't be for another 2 months. Therefore, we can't get ours repaired yet. What a joke. Back to calling Corporate...and I thought things were actually going well with our dealer.
Old 09-10-09, 06:44 AM
super_ben7
Driver School Candidate

fyi. took into the dealership. two hours later, bumper gap is gone. thank you my dear lexus dealer
Old 09-11-09, 05:42 PM
afpj
Instructor

Those of you who've had the bumper fixed are lucky to have a responsive dealership. With our dealer's inaction, we contacted our assigned lackey at Lexus Corporate, and he says that there is NO official fix, and that the other dealers must be doing it on their own. Therefore, our dealership will not embark on any repairs without Corp nod. Man, sucks to be us. We are open to suggestions...call BBB? Try Corporate again? Not sure what else to do if Corporate says no. As with other issues, it seems that's the end of the line when that happens.
Old 09-11-09, 08:04 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by afpj
Those of you who've had the bumper fixed are lucky to have a responsive dealership. With our dealer's inaction, we contacted our assigned lackey at Lexus Corporate, and he says that there is NO official fix, and that the other dealers must be doing it on their own. Therefore, our dealership will not embark on any repairs without Corp nod. Man, sucks to be us. We are open to suggestions...call BBB? Try Corporate again? Not sure what else to do if Corporate says no. As with other issues, it seems that's the end of the line when that happens.
Set down at your computer when you're in the mood to recall everything in a rational way from your transaction with your dealer. Pull up and print out the reported fixes you read about here including the dealers that did it so the info is right in front of you. Then with all of that in front of you, call Corporate, say you've been through the ringer and would very much like to speak to someone in a supervisory capacity. Then simply state what has happened with out acting like your trying to burn someone (even though you may want to) and say you don't know what else to do, can they help you. Sometimes the way the message is delivered gives it a completely different view to those receiving it. What's that old message about catching flies with honey ???
Old 09-12-09, 08:48 AM
afpj
Instructor

Thanks for the suggestion Cruiter. You'd make a fine Senator
Yes, time to go through the 12 pages of this thread heh heh. My training has been such that if fired upon, return fire with something bigger; would never make it as a Senator.

My skepticism is such that the official Lexus Corp. policy may ultimately end up denying everything, so I want to get my repair done yesterday...I've lost faith in their commitment. . Well, supposedly a survey is coming (took car in for 5k) so I'll certainly use that as a forum for my displeasure as well.

On another note, someone in another thread mentioned about the 10k service being free (was in NY). Anyone heard that before?

Quick Reply: Loose Front Bumper From Canada