RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Loose Front Bumper From Canada

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-09, 04:40 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by eaeolian
Update: So after dropping my RX with Lindsay Lexus in Alexandria, VA, the result is:

Lexus is engineering a fix, and it's expected in 3 weeks or so. At that point, they'll be repairing mine, and I'll post the results here.

It's apparently not a consistent problem, which leads me to believe that it's a QC problem with the fasteners.
Hope Lindsay treated you well, I'm thinking of buying a car from them
Old 10-08-09, 08:08 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

a small non mechanical error like body paneling does not constitute as a lemon, especially if almost every other RX has the same problem. Yours is not special
Old 10-08-09, 08:12 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
a small non mechanical error like body paneling does not constitute as a lemon, especially if almost every other RX has the same problem. Yours is not special
If they cannot fix it after 3 tried, and 30 days, then it is a lemon. That loose panel can be consider a safety issue because it can fly off while you are on the highway and cause an accident. You will not get a safety inspection sticker in most states with that panel hanging out.
Old 10-08-09, 09:37 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

Lemon law typically covers safety, use or value, a problem not fixed in three service visits, or vehicle out of service for 20 days. Even if only a small percentage of RXs have this problem with the bumper, it could be viewed as a defect because the majority do not have it and subsequentially would be grounds for recovery under the lemon law.

With that said, I would not rule out lemon law. We still don't know the origin of the problem and there seems to be a reluctance on Lexus' side to acknowledge/address it.
Old 10-08-09, 11:46 AM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kitlz
Lemon law typically covers safety, use or value, a problem not fixed in three service visits, or vehicle out of service for 20 days. Even if only a small percentage of RXs have this problem with the bumper, it could be viewed as a defect because the majority do not have it and subsequentially would be grounds for recovery under the lemon law.

With that said, I would not rule out lemon law. We still don't know the origin of the problem and there seems to be a reluctance on Lexus' side to acknowledge/address it.
Could also be a safety/liability issue if it flies off. No way for Lexus to prove that it won't.
Old 10-09-09, 06:16 AM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
If they cannot fix it after 3 tried, and 30 days, then it is a lemon.....
Yes, in NC that is correct. End of the story in this state.
Old 10-09-09, 07:03 AM
eaeolian
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tromly
Hope Lindsay treated you well, I'm thinking of buying a car from them
So far, they've been excellent. The sales experience was the best I've ever had, and the service department has been very good, despite some rental car issues.
Old 10-11-09, 06:46 AM
pulp
Rookie

i do not have this issue, but just a FYI:

the dealer here acknowledges this issue as a manufacturing defect, and its fixed free under warranty but requires a full day stay at the dealer, the fix consists of taking the bumper off and refitting it with new clips/bolts.
Old 10-11-09, 08:41 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pulp
i do not have this issue, but just a FYI:

the dealer here acknowledges this issue as a manufacturing defect, and its fixed free under warranty but requires a full day stay at the dealer, the fix consists of taking the bumper off and refitting it with new clips/bolts.
Since you also got the notice out there, US dealers "should" receive this information now. I will make a call next week to check my "respectful" dealer...
Old 10-12-09, 03:42 AM
pulp
Rookie

Originally Posted by rxets
Since you also got the notice out there, US dealers "should" receive this information now. I will make a call next week to check my "respectful" dealer...
i should add that all RXs sold here are made in Japan, and the issue is still occurring on them as well, so its definitely not something limited to Canadian RXs like the thread title suggests.
Old 10-12-09, 08:47 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by pulp
i should add that all RXs sold here are made in Japan, and the issue is still occurring on them as well, so its definitely not something limited to Canadian RXs like the thread title suggests.
I'm not saying that your info is incorrect. However I haven't seen a single owner on this forum with a 2010 RX from Japan with the 'bumper' issue. Unless you're one. If you have one from Japan and the bumper cover is popping out'/off in places then you'll be the 1st we've heard from to the best of my knowledge.

However I can imagine that all RX's built in Canada are being sold only on the North American Continent but I could be all wet there. So you probably right 'if' cars there are having the issue.
Old 10-12-09, 07:40 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

We're one of a few Japan built 10RX's with the bumper issue here, sad to say. As far as getting it "officially" repaired: Still waiting....and waiting......and waiting....

Last edited by afpj; 10-12-09 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-12-09, 08:09 PM
lmm2009
Driver School Candidate

Mine was made in Japan. It's having the bumper issue, too. I will check with my dealership to see if there's a fix yet.
Old 10-12-09, 08:21 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by lmm2009
Mine was made in Japan. It's having the bumper issue, too. I will check with my dealership to see if there's a fix yet.
I stand corrected. But I still haven't heard of any from the Hybrid plant.
Old 10-14-09, 04:17 AM
pulp
Rookie

information is from an Arabic toyota/lexus forum where some users complained of the same issue and had it fixed at the dealer.

the GCC Spec. RXs we get here are slightly different from the North American RXs and are only manufactured in the Miyawaka, Japan plant.

all the RXs i seen on in the showroom here have VINs starting with "JT".

Quick Reply: Loose Front Bumper From Canada