RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Loose Front Bumper From Canada

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-09, 07:47 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by afpj
Thanks, now we have something to compare. None of the ones we saw at our dealer had ANY separation, so was a little confused when you saw some on your lot. Sad, but nice to know ours is way out there and not one of the "normal" ones your dealer had referred to.
PAGE 2 has my pics. All the cars I saw today are like that... the gap is more or less.
Old 07-26-09, 12:22 AM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was talking with the GM from our Lexus dealership today and mentioned the bumper issue. He said Lexus had sent someone to their dealership this week to advise them on a fix for the problem. He said so far only the RX's from Canada have been effected. I am glad our non-hybrid RX is coming from Japan, but for those of you with an effect RX it seems Lexus has figured out the problem and a proper fix. Good luck!
Old 07-26-09, 01:55 AM
yanje03
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rxets
PAGE 2 has my pics. All the cars I saw today are like that... the gap is more or less.
I see your car is fine. If I was dealer , I am not going to repair your car for sure . seems that bump design have a larger gap than other place. lots of truck have large gap design on bumper. if you pump your car on something might get less damaged on bumper.who knows why they design it like that.
Old 07-26-09, 07:50 AM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by yanje03
I see your car is fine. If I was dealer , I am not going to repair your car for sure . seems that bump design have a larger gap than other place. lots of truck have large gap design on bumper. if you pump your car on something might get less damaged on bumper.who knows why they design it like that.
I guess that's what many dealers would say...

My key point is to make the dealer aware of this gap issue, and make sure the bumper will not drop.
Old 07-26-09, 09:32 AM
afpj
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by DNC
I was talking with the GM from our Lexus dealership today and mentioned the bumper issue. He said Lexus had sent someone to their dealership this week to advise them on a fix for the problem. He said so far only the RX's from Canada have been effected. I am glad our non-hybrid RX is coming from Japan, but for those of you with an effect RX it seems Lexus has figured out the problem and a proper fix. Good luck!
Mine is from Japan...it ain't just the Canadian models, unless the Canucks were doing OTJ training in Japan when mine was made. We'll have to see...
Old 07-26-09, 10:02 AM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Mine is from Japan...it ain't just the Canadian models, unless the Canucks were doing OTJ training in Japan when mine was made. We'll have to see...
LOL. I never thought of this...

Old 07-26-09, 12:43 PM
yanje03
Rookie

is your car fixed or not? I thought a strong glue might do that job
Old 07-26-09, 02:05 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would not live with a new car, much less at the price of the RX, that the bumper was being held on by glue. I am sorry to hear some people are having problems with their dealerships addressing the fix properly. I will check this closely before accepting delivery of the one we have ordered. I would hope this is already being addressed on the assembly line.
Old 07-27-09, 03:22 PM
afpj
Instructor

HaHa, I know the glue you're talking about...it is indeed strong and it has kept the trim on my other car in place for 8 years. I wish I had access to it...

A fix is in the works as DNC alluded to. Canadian AND Japan models. Why it affects some and not others is a mystery, but those kids at Chuckie Cheeses (aka Lexus engineers) have apparently come up with a plan. Will wait our turn for the magic fairy dusting and post back results.
Old 07-27-09, 03:49 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

It's easy to see that you're not a NASCAR fan or you'd know the magic of 'DUCT' tape
Old 07-28-09, 07:07 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

It just looks like a bad design, there should be some kind of clip holding that area of the bumper cover. My guess is that they will just add a clip there for the fix.
Old 08-11-09, 12:01 PM
KC001
Driver School Candidate

Any updates on this thread from dealer service / comments?
Old 08-11-09, 07:16 PM
afpj
Instructor

Originally Posted by KC001
Any updates on this thread from dealer service / comments?
Still waiting here. Now that we've put more miles on it, both sides look exactly the same, a full 1/4 inch (and slightly more) protrusion. Waiting for the final fix/TSB, as last we heard Lexus was field guesting the solution they came up with. 5k mile service in about a month, so we'll probably wait till then. Will certainly post pics, but would be nice if any other folks actually had a repair that worked and post...
We must be pretty annoying pests...they didn't offer for us to be testers of the "repair", so must not want not to hear from us if it didn't work.
Old 08-12-09, 07:32 PM
Fireman19
Driver School Candidate

Default 100 miles and bumpers coming apart

After driving out of my garage for the first time with my new RX....grew big wings on my rear bumper while driving on the Highway. both sides of the rear bumper came apart. Managed to get to the dealership and is now currently sitting at the body shop waiting on the Lexus engineers to "try" a new fix to resolve this issue. I also noticed that the front bumper started separating as well. Only positive spin I have is that my dealership for the most part were very eager to solve this issue and even offered an extended warranty for my troubles for free. The picture shows my "wings" while having to pull over to the side of the highway to try and push them back in.
Attached Thumbnails Loose Front Bumper From Canada-lexus-highway.jpg  
Old 08-12-09, 07:49 PM
afpj
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fireman19
After driving out of my garage for the first time with my new RX....grew big wings on my rear bumper while driving on the Highway. both sides of the rear bumper came apart. Managed to get to the dealership and is now currently sitting at the body shop waiting on the Lexus engineers to "try" a new fix to resolve this issue. I also noticed that the front bumper started separating as well. Only positive spin I have is that my dealership for the most part were very eager to solve this issue and even offered an extended warranty for my troubles for free. The picture shows my "wings" while having to pull over to the side of the highway to try and push them back in.
Holy Crap! Thanks for making me feel better
My dealer offers no such eagerness or consolation. How did you know to pull over...funny sounds? Please let us know what they did to fix it.

Quick Reply: Loose Front Bumper From Canada