RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Maps/Voice command questions/concerns

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-09, 02:24 PM
scargo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nav system in 2010 RX

Originally Posted by mpt525
The issue that's been bugging me is that even at the most detailed zoom level, the Nav leaves off the names of many streets and cross streets on the map. Sometimes it seems like only every other street is actually labeled. Is this a setting?
I noticed this also. I'm afraid it's not a setting. It's unfortunately yet another drawback of the new nav system.
Old 09-21-09, 02:41 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I were in your line of work, with your needs, I'd look into a Garmin. While I have liked the NAV units in the RX'es I've had, I loved the old Garmin I had back in 2004. The difference is that the Lexus NAV units will get you CLOSE to the address you want, but the Garmin got me to the EXACT address. I suggest you check out the various navigation units and their abilities to fill your needs.

Now if your looking for a great car, get the new RX.
Old 09-21-09, 08:59 PM
sglovjoh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Cruiter
I hope you have good luck. It's a great car. As far a the NAV system goes, I love it but it's not been without a learning curve. Now that I'm understanding the built in logic (much different than my Magellan) it's performing very well. Another issue was telling it who to call etc and that again was mine. When you get it, you have to 'pair' it to your phone. Then each time you start it, it will connect with your phone and indicate 'successful' but you still have to push a button on the phone giving the phone permission to connect (at least on my phone). I kept forgetting that procedure and insulting the system with a barrage of 5 letter words beginning with 'b' and ending with 'h'. Anyway all is well now .
Hi Cruiter,

Today I went to the Tustin Lexus dealer and I ask the sales guys which one of you knows the nav in the RX and one of them said I know it. He took me out to a Starfire Pearl RX and proceeded to show me the inn’s and out's of the nav. It was like a revelation. The sales dude made it work. He knew the commands and he said you have to learn it just like a nice camera with interchangeable lenses. You've got to crack open the manual and read it. He put in an address with voice command and had the route in under a minute. Next he showed me how to use Enform. He called the polite lady and set up a route to Disneyland in Anaheim, Ca in less than a minute. Now I love the nav and will be setting up a lease this week. The sales guys at the $85 million dollar Newport Beach Lexus should know how to operate the nav before test driving with clients.
Old 09-21-09, 09:24 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mpt525
The issue that's been bugging me is that even at the most detailed zoom level, the Nav leaves off the names of many streets and cross streets on the map. Sometimes it seems like only every other street is actually labeled. Is this a setting?
Same with every other car I've owned with a Nav. It's common... not a Lexus thing.

Funny... I have yet to mess around with Enform.
Old 09-23-09, 10:09 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by scargo
We loved the nav system in our current RX 300. The new one has a terrible "voice", you have to set the voice "off" BEFORE you can drive (not during driving). There's no "set way point" option anymore. This is a huge step backwards.
i believe you can "set way point" in the navi. i was playing around with the navi while my wife was driving a few weeks ago, and i could set way points (like a cookie crumb trail) that you could follow and backtrack afterwards.
Old 09-23-09, 12:59 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sglovjoh
Hi Cruiter,

Today I went to the Tustin Lexus dealer and I ask the sales guys which one of you knows the nav in the RX and one of them said I know it. He took me out to a Starfire Pearl RX and proceeded to show me the inn’s and out's of the nav. It was like a revelation. The sales dude made it work. He knew the commands and he said you have to learn it just like a nice camera with interchangeable lenses. You've got to crack open the manual and read it. He put in an address with voice command and had the route in under a minute. Next he showed me how to use Enform. He called the polite lady and set up a route to Disneyland in Anaheim, Ca in less than a minute. Now I love the nav and will be setting up a lease this week. The sales guys at the $85 million dollar Newport Beach Lexus should know how to operate the nav before test driving with clients.
Thank you for this great information. It's good to know that the Voice Command system works so well as long as you know how to use it properly. Everybody here that has issues with the Nav/Voice Command should read your post before complaining that the Voice Command is "worthless". In my limited experimentation, I have found that the Voice Command works very well after you practice with it for a while.