RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Dent & Ding repair...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-09, 05:31 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hal56
ZYMOL

great wax--

what I have done in the past is wax the front end several times to hopefully create layers. Protects against the chips and bugs to some degree.

The hood gets waxed too and I put rainx on the windshield to hopefully fend off some stones. Every little thing helps.

Of course a safer method is just never use the car
A day prior to the trips, the car had been waxed at least 4 times. I do believe this helped prevent further damages. I guess some kind of gravels hit my hood and left the damages out there.
Old 07-12-09, 05:53 PM
Hal56
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is no miracle stuff or answer--if you drive your car will show something.

Question--on the side mirrors--the power ones--do they automatically close in when you turn off the engine?

The mirrors are at risk when you park in the city or in shopping centers
Old 07-12-09, 07:36 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

there is no miracle stuff or answer--if you drive your car will show something.

Question--on the side mirrors--the power ones--do they automatically close in when you turn off the engine?

The mirrors are at risk when you park in the city or in shopping centers
If the dents cannot be repaired easily, I'm ok...

As for the power mirrors, I was looking for this feature when considering to purchase SUV-like cars. Most of competitors have this feature, which is part of the basic packages or can be easily selected from the package, but there were only <2% of RX10s equiping with it. And, those <2% of RX10s usually come with the rses (rear seat entertainment system) or other features I don't really need. In April, I searched almost 300+ inventory, there were 5-6 having this feature. They're either reserved already by someone else or with the rses.

I guess RX doesn't have auto-power-folding outsides mirrors. You have to manually press the button to fold them. I doubt RX can program mirrors auto-closed when the engine is off.

I love this feature and thought cities/areas like where I live would make Lexus consider this feature is worth to add-in. However, Lexus NA thinks differently.
Old 07-12-09, 08:21 PM
Hal56
Pole Position

my 335i has the manual power folding mirrors--I have to remember to push the button each time--pain in the butt.

I next wonder if this is one of the dealer controlled settings?

Like yourself--I wanted a rx with lux pkg but not rses, hud, collission avoidance etc.

So I wait and wait for my order--ther is a lot I like about my bmw, but some things I do not like--already I question the customer fufilment side of Lexus-I understand the quality of the car--I wish their admin side went to the same school.

My Lexus dealer is fine--attentive so far

My bmw dealer--service disagreed with my problems which have finally been resolved because I threatened to contact every govt and safety group --they were embarrassed by the problem itseldf and then the attitude they gave me--

I hope I like the Lexus experience cause I am running out of manufacturers that will treat the customer who is spending big bucks--like a customer.
Ford, GM and Chrysler ticked me off years ago for a variety of reasons, Volvo was good but its dealer network is contracting and its too far from where I live. Never really liked MB.

Hyundai anyone?
Old 07-12-09, 11:02 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rxets
As for the power mirrors, I was looking for this feature when considering to purchase SUV-like cars. Most of competitors have this feature, which is part of the basic packages or can be easily selected from the package, but there were only <2% of RX10s equiping with it. And, those <2% of RX10s usually come with the rses (rear seat entertainment system) or other features I don't really need. In April, I searched almost 300+ inventory, there were 5-6 having this feature. They're either reserved already by someone else or with the rses.

I guess RX doesn't have auto-power-folding outsides mirrors. You have to manually press the button to fold them. I doubt RX can program mirrors auto-closed when the engine is off.

I love this feature and thought cities/areas like where I live would make Lexus consider this feature is worth to add-in. However, Lexus NA thinks differently.
the 450h demo i test drove saturday pm has auto power folding outside mirrors. i was surprised...disarmed the factory alarm, mirrors folded out. armed the factory alarm, mirrorw folded in.
Old 07-12-09, 11:04 PM
ciparis
Rookie

My RX350 has them. They're automatic (they close then I lock the car, and open when I unlock it). They come as part of the luxury package.
Old 07-12-09, 11:23 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

ZYMOL

great wax--

what I have done in the past is wax the front end several times to hopefully create layers. Protects against the chips and bugs to some degree.

The hood gets waxed too and I put rainx on the windshield to hopefully fend off some stones. Every little thing helps.

Of course a safer method is just never use the car
i just waxed my GS with zymol this afternoon. it smells so good!

not driving the car would be the safest method, safer method would be clear bra.
Old 07-13-09, 11:32 AM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Stormforge
the 450h demo i test drove saturday pm has auto power folding outside mirrors. i was surprised...disarmed the factory alarm, mirrors folded out. armed the factory alarm, mirrorw folded in.
Originally Posted by ciparis
My RX350 has them. They're automatic (they close then I lock the car, and open when I unlock it). They come as part of the luxury package.
Glad to know that I was wrong with this.

Thanks for the update!!!
Old 07-13-09, 12:54 PM
Hal56
Pole Position

Glad to know that I was wrong with this.

Thanks for the update!!!
Me Too! (again the brochure was unclear about this)
Old 07-13-09, 01:01 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by ciparis
do you know if auto folding mirrors can be turned off? i love this feature, don't get me wrong. but in the 3GS forum, there are some complaints that the gears in the mirrors die after too much repeated use (dumb plastic gears). in order to maximize longevity, i may turn the auto folding function off and fold them only when necessary (assuming this can be done).

i didn't spend a whole lot of time in the 450h demo, but i don't think there is a dedicated folding mirror switch in the rx? can you confirm this?
Old 07-13-09, 09:50 PM
data2009
Pole Position

Ouch. I feel your pain. Although I would not go into such drastic measures as repainting the entire hood (and risking a color mismatch, overspray, etc) for a ding that's 1/20 size of a nickel, but it still hurts.

When I got my RX, my dealer offered XZilon Paint Protection package. It consists of a sealant that is applied to clear coat, and is supposedly protecting the paint from bird droppings, acid rain, other crap, even paint spray. It also covers leather from any spills, rips, etc. It also came with the paintless dent removal warranty from the dealer, which is what sold me in a first place.

2 weeks into ownership, I got a dent on the front passenger door, the size of 2 nickels, and it was removed at no cost on my 1k service visit.

As for the paint chip, I would take it to the dealer and see, if they can fix it, at least make it look better. IMO, if you take it to professional paint shop, they will most likely advise you to 'get more dings first' and then repaint the entire hood.
Old 07-13-09, 10:37 PM
DOUS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Stormforge
do you know if auto folding mirrors can be turned off? i love this feature, don't get me wrong. but in the 3GS forum, there are some complaints that the gears in the mirrors die after too much repeated use (dumb plastic gears). in order to maximize longevity, i may turn the auto folding function off and fold them only when necessary (assuming this can be done).

i didn't spend a whole lot of time in the 450h demo, but i don't think there is a dedicated folding mirror switch in the rx? can you confirm this?
Yes you can disable this feature. There's an "Auto " button on the driver side door to do this. Turn it off and its on manual. You can also control this on the Nav screen vehicle settings, I believe.
Old 07-14-09, 12:02 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUS
Yes you can disable this feature. There's an "Auto " button on the driver side door to do this. Turn it off and its on manual. You can also control this on the Nav screen vehicle settings, I believe.
i think it is just on the driver's side door panel. I dont think (but i might be wrong) that is can be changed via nav system because i dont think turning it off there could turn on/off the indicator on the panel. the two dont connect that way.
Old 07-14-09, 07:42 AM
DOUS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RXSF
i think it is just on the driver's side door panel. I dont think (but i might be wrong) that is can be changed via nav system because i dont think turning it off there could turn on/off the indicator on the panel. the two dont connect that way.
I didn't mean to manually turn it on or off from the nav screen. I could be mistaken, but I'm thinking you can set it to automatic or manual from the vehicle settings. I'll have to confirm when I get the chance. In any case, yes, it can be done via the driver's door control panel.
Old 07-14-09, 09:14 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

^ thx for the confirmation guys!

Quick Reply: Dent & Ding repair...