RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Dent & Ding repair...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-09, 11:07 AM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by data2009
Ouch. I feel your pain. Although I would not go into such drastic measures as repainting the entire hood (and risking a color mismatch, overspray, etc) for a ding that's 1/20 size of a nickel, but it still hurts.

When I got my RX, my dealer offered XZilon Paint Protection package. It consists of a sealant that is applied to clear coat, and is supposedly protecting the paint from bird droppings, acid rain, other crap, even paint spray. It also covers leather from any spills, rips, etc. It also came with the paintless dent removal warranty from the dealer, which is what sold me in a first place.

2 weeks into ownership, I got a dent on the front passenger door, the size of 2 nickels, and it was removed at no cost on my 1k service visit.

As for the paint chip, I would take it to the dealer and see, if they can fix it, at least make it look better. IMO, if you take it to professional paint shop, they will most likely advise you to 'get more dings first' and then repaint the entire hood.
Yes, to visit the dealership has been scheduled. I'll check with them first. Thanks.
Old 07-14-09, 12:58 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

There have been complains for years of other Lexus' folding mirror not beening auto fold and the inability to turn that auto fold function on and off. I guess Lexus do read these forums and listen to our complains, good to know
Old 07-14-09, 01:47 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Definately avoid following trucks, even if they do have mud flaps, and also try not to tail gate. I generally stay away from busses and freight trucks.
Stay out of southern Louisiana, especially I 10 north of Lake Ponchatrain. The road is full of fast moving dump trucks and they don't enforce the load cover that most states do. Gravel and sharp ground shell chips are constantly flying out.

I think a good body shop can fix it right w/o painting the whole hood.

Last edited by Cruiter; 07-14-09 at 01:48 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-14-09, 02:16 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
There have been complains for years of other Lexus' folding mirror not beening auto fold and the inability to turn that auto fold function on and off. I guess Lexus do read these forums and listen to our complains, good to know
with the 2010 RX having the auto folding mirror capability, we will most likely see the auto folding mirror for the 4th gen GS.
Old 07-14-09, 06:28 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Stormforge
with the 2010 RX having the auto folding mirror capability, we will most likely see the auto folding mirror for the 4th gen GS.
GS doesn't have this feature yet?

I know Auto-folding mirros feature has been the option in JDM, at least since 2G. Also some other countries' GS can equip with this feature. Lexus N.A. may have the special consideration about some of features like this and decide not to do so. Dunno.
Old 07-14-09, 06:59 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by rxets
GS doesn't have this feature yet?

I know Auto-folding mirros feature has been the option in JDM, at least since 2G. Also some other countries' GS can equip with this feature. Lexus N.A. may have the special consideration about some of features like this and decide not to do so. Dunno.
nope, the 3rd gen GS do not have auto folding mirrors. you can fold the mirrors only by pushing the fold mirror button in the drop down console box. it gets a little tedious after awhile.
Old 07-14-09, 10:09 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

nope, the 3rd gen GS do not have auto folding mirrors. you can fold the mirrors only by pushing the fold mirror button in the drop down console box. it gets a little tedious after awhile.
If most of GS/Lexus owners complained this, I really couldn't understand why Lexus N.A. still doesn't want to make this feature as the basic/standard one for RX10.

But, many of countries' Lexus have decided to make it as the standard option.
Old 07-15-09, 12:55 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

If most of GS/Lexus owners complained this, I really couldn't understand why Lexus N.A. still doesn't want to make this feature as the basic/standard one for RX10.

But, many of countries' Lexus have decided to make it as the standard option.
Its all a trade off, in most countries, the GS still comes with the 3L engine. We get the 3.5L. Lexus probably thinks that we dont need auto folding mirrors because the streets are wider here in the US.
BTW, I dont think Lexus will do a panel change in the 2010 GS just for one button. The GS is a low volume seller and the additional profit from that one feature will not justify the cost.
Old 07-15-09, 01:04 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by The G Man
Its all a trade off, in most countries, the GS still comes with the 3L engine. We get the 3.5L. Lexus probably thinks that we dont need auto folding mirrors because the streets are wider here in the US.
BTW, I dont think Lexus will do a panel change in the 2010 GS just for one button. The GS is a low volume seller and the additional profit from that one feature will not justify the cost.
i would however fully expect lexus to incorporate that change (ie: automatic folding mirrors) in the next gen GS...
Old 07-15-09, 01:10 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

i would however fully expect lexus to incorporate that change (ie: automatic folding mirrors) in the next gen GS...
I think they will too, its nothing more than a button and a relay.
Old 07-16-09, 04:03 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Anyone try Langka chip repair system (on of the sponsors)? Just saw it today in the "other" section of sponsors.
Old 07-16-09, 05:22 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Lexus N.A. will make it as the option, or part of the advanced packages, etc. It won't be the standard although it's the standard feature in most of countries outsides N.A.
Old 07-18-09, 09:15 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 'Reading Room' find

Need your suggestions, please.

After retruning from 2.7K trip, my engine hood got these. It's no surprise with such damages. On the other hands, I'm quite happy with the strong resistance on our paint because there are no more scratches or any other minor ones, except these 2.

Should I do DIY? Or should I look for helps from dealers or professionals? If DIY, what should I do?

Thanks.

(In Day 1, I was ever considering the film protection, such as XPEL or others. But, I didn't do so... )
While in the 'Reading Room' this morning I came across an add in my Autoweek mag. I thought of your post and checked it out. This could be what a lot of us need from time to time. Looks like it might even actually work on dark colors. http://drcolorchip.com/ . If anyone tries it or already knows about it, please leave a post.
Old 07-18-09, 06:54 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Cruiter
While in the 'Reading Room' this morning I came across an add in my Autoweek mag. I thought of your post and checked it out. This could be what a lot of us need from time to time. Looks like it might even actually work on dark colors. http://drcolorchip.com/ . If anyone tries it or already knows about it, please leave a post.
Jim, thanks for having my case in mind. I heard this prodcut before, but never got to know anyone using it.

Please advise. Thanks.
Old 07-18-09, 07:47 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Lightbulb

Just googled it. I found some info interesting...

http://drcolorchip.com/index.shtml

http://www.langka.com/

Dr. Colorchip: an easier quicker solution but takes longer to cure, best for small chips that are not too deep it seems. Paint is dabbed into the chip and finger-smeared, then excess is wiped off shortly after, then excess is wiped off using their proprietary curing solution. They also mix their own touch-uppaint which is included in the price: $39. You provide color code they mix it for you. They cater mostly to dealerships for rapid touch-up solutions.

LANGKA: Longer application process but shorter curing time. Similar process but they use a plastic card to level off the paint into the chip, then a "blob remover" solution to wipe down the excess paint. Touch-up paint is not included in the base kit which is around the same price as Dr. Colorchip's who does.

Both look good, I would prefer the LANGKA solution if I has a classic car, but for rapid touch-ups (and that I will be touching up frequently) I am going to try Dr. Colorchip 1st.

Quick Reply: Dent & Ding repair...