RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Dent & Ding repair...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-09, 05:58 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Dent & Ding repair...

Need your suggestions, please.

After retruning from 2.7K trip, my engine hood got these. It's no surprise with such damages. On the other hands, I'm quite happy with the strong resistance on our paint because there are no more scratches or any other minor ones, except these 2.

Should I do DIY? Or should I look for helps from dealers or professionals? If DIY, what should I do?

Thanks.

(In Day 1, I was ever considering the film protection, such as XPEL or others. But, I didn't do so... )
Attached Thumbnails Dent & Ding repair...-p1100722-1.jpg   Dent & Ding repair...-p1100724-1.jpg  

Last edited by rxets; 07-11-09 at 08:03 PM. Reason: add-in.
Old 07-11-09, 08:27 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

hmm. even if you get touch up paint, it wont look right. i would leave it alone until you get a lot more and then repaint the hood all together professionally.

with the soft paint car makers are forced to use, you can expect a lot more of this.

or you can get it professionally repainted and then add a clear bra
Old 07-11-09, 09:24 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

RXSF, thanks.

I know the touch-up paint won't work well in this situation. But it's aweful ugly from some angles. As long as I can make it up a little bit, I don't mind leaving it alone until selling.
Old 07-11-09, 09:43 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

yeah np, i have used touch up paint on my flint mica, which is almost the same color you have, smokey granite. It definately looks better than the white that is left from the chip, but you need a steady hand.

I have been to a lot of detailers who said that I could bring touch up paint for them to apply professionally, so that they can buff the area after applying to make it look as good as possible. that might be one way to go.

Definately avoid following trucks, even if they do have mud flaps, and also try not to tail gate. I generally stay away from busses and freight trucks.
Old 07-11-09, 10:14 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Staying away from trucks/buses isn't easy, especially when they're moving just a little faster than you or staying the same speed next to you in 2-lanes highways.

I'm afraid of them, and will either pass them or let them go.

Anyway, I've found RX paint formation is quite solid and sturdy. Some of my cars (new cars) got lots of worse dents/dings during the similar trips in the past.
Old 07-11-09, 10:34 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

http://ventureshield.com/

Paint protection film
Old 07-11-09, 11:01 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
I have been to a lot of detailers who said that I could bring touch up paint for them to apply professionally, so that they can buff the area after applying to make it look as good as possible. that might be one way to go.
from what i've read, this method is not 100% "perfect" (ie: you can still see the imperfection if you look closely). but from a distance, it would be unnoticeable. this would be the cheapest method of fixing paint chips and would be the recommended route if slight imperfection in the paint does not bother you.

if rxets is **** about paint perfection like i am (when it comes to paint blemishes), repainting the hood is the only option.
Old 07-11-09, 11:22 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tazdevl
http://ventureshield.com/

Paint protection film
Thanks, I guess this is the same as XPEL, clear bra, or others. I may be too late to apply this on my hood...
Old 07-11-09, 11:34 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rxets
Thanks, I guess this is the same as XPEL, clear bra, or others. I may be too late to apply this on my hood...
it is never too late. you can always apply clear bra to the bumper, lower air dam, side mirrors that is still in pristine condition. as rxsf suggested, get the hood repainted, then add clear bra (if that's something you are willing to do)
Old 07-11-09, 11:37 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Stormforge
from what i've read, this method is not 100% "perfect" (ie: you can still see the imperfection if you look closely). but from a distance, it would be unnoticeable. this would be the cheapest method of fixing paint chips and would be the recommended route if slight imperfection in the paint does not bother you.

if rxets is **** about paint perfection like i am (when it comes to paint blemishes), repainting the hood is the only option.
Stormforge, thanks. Haha, I'm fussy about it when the car is new. However, after the certain "time", I won't cavil at this anymore. 10 years ago, it's about 2 years long. 5 years ago, it's an year. Now, it's 2 months. I guess I'm fine with these damages now. Perhaps, occassionally I might feel uneasy when facing it...

Well, to repaint is probably not the option for me unless the hood recieves more dents/dings in the future. If possible, I'm looking for any solutions which can help make it better, but perfect ("perfect"... this is hard, right?!)...
Old 07-12-09, 06:11 AM
Hal56
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's still "only" a car :-) years ago I too was **** about my cars--less so now--too many other more important things to do,

Having said this--when I do get a new car I clay magic it, and either use a heavy dose of Zaino or ?(and the name of it slips me but its in a small jar and is blue with a high carnuba factor and I think it starts with "T"--when I was younger I could remember it all).

And I have an annual pass to a hand car wash!
Old 07-12-09, 07:01 AM
htn
Driver School Candidate

Count me in as being another very **** paint guy. I've messed around with trying to solve this problem on my NSX and Z32.
Option #1. Look for an experience paint and dent repair guy in your area. They can blend in a small area of the hood.
Option #2. DIY...
First, get a bottle of touch up paint from dealer. Use tooth pick to fill in the chipped area. This will help with precision. Build up the area with paint and allow a little bit to cover the edges.
Allow paint to cure for about a week.
Use 600 grit sand paper to work the small area (wet sand). Follow up with a 1200 grit. Lastly, buff the area with a rubbing compound. Then wax the are to finish it off. It worked quite well for me.

Good luck.
Old 07-12-09, 12:04 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by htn
Count me in as being another very **** paint guy. I've messed around with trying to solve this problem on my NSX and Z32.
Option #1. Look for an experience paint and dent repair guy in your area. They can blend in a small area of the hood.
Option #2. DIY...
First, get a bottle of touch up paint from dealer. Use tooth pick to fill in the chipped area. This will help with precision. Build up the area with paint and allow a little bit to cover the edges.
Allow paint to cure for about a week.
Use 600 grit sand paper to work the small area (wet sand). Follow up with a 1200 grit. Lastly, buff the area with a rubbing compound. Then wax the are to finish it off. It worked quite well for me.

Good luck.
Question about the #2 DIY. I'm not sure if I'll do this, but have to ask...

Will those sand papers (600 or 1200) mess up the good paint around when buffing?
Old 07-12-09, 12:08 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hal56
it's still "only" a car :-) years ago I too was **** about my cars--less so now--too many other more important things to do,

Having said this--when I do get a new car I clay magic it, and either use a heavy dose of Zaino or ?(and the name of it slips me but its in a small jar and is blue with a high carnuba factor and I think it starts with "T"--when I was younger I could remember it all).

And I have an annual pass to a hand car wash!
Ppl who have joined the forums and been staying for a long time may all have some type of ****-retentive behaviors with them. More or less...
Old 07-12-09, 01:30 PM
Hal56
Pole Position

ZYMOL

great wax--

what I have done in the past is wax the front end several times to hopefully create layers. Protects against the chips and bugs to some degree.

The hood gets waxed too and I put rainx on the windshield to hopefully fend off some stones. Every little thing helps.

Of course a safer method is just never use the car

Quick Reply: Dent & Ding repair...