RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Remote start question

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-09, 08:47 AM
krypttic
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tazdevl
I called and complained. Got a $450 service credit that I can use at my dealer for anything. My advice, call consumer affairs, complain, take the money but let them know they need to also issue a fix for this.

Completely agree. Why would a remote start work further away than the remote itself? Only way that would work is if it was cellular or the transmitter was the size of a walkie talkie or you used the remote once and then had to replace the battery due to the juice required to send a signal a mile away. People's expectations are completely out of whack.

Second point... that's a recent addition to the website, probably because I complained that the information on the Lexus site was patently inaccurate and misleading, especially given the precedence established by every other car with a RS on the market.
TazDevl: how did they/you arrive at the $450 credit? Isn't the remote start option less than this (~$350). Is the extra $$$ in service a concession because they aren't refunding you?
Old 11-10-09, 10:12 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by krypttic
TazDevl: how did they/you arrive at the $450 credit? Isn't the remote start option less than this (~$350). Is the extra $$$ in service a concession because they aren't refunding you?
Probably the max they could authorize and yes they wanted to take care of me. I think my remote start was $350 installed.
Old 11-11-09, 07:18 AM
1Gunner
Driver School Candidate

Up here in Canada, where the feature would be very valuable in cold winter....
it's not available!!! Sucks to be Canadian with a Lexus....

I had an aftermarket RS installed in our last RX.... will have to do the same I guess!!
Old 11-11-09, 07:25 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 169 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Up here in Canada, where the feature would be very valuable in cold winter....
it's not available!!! Sucks to be Canadian with a Lexus....

I had an aftermarket RS installed in our last RX.... will have to do the same I guess!!
I know the remote start kit is available through the dealer. Have you checked it out?

And before you complain about being a Canadian with a Lexus, you get the fully loaded models up there, no wait. I'm two months into a four month wait for my semi loaded 450h
Old 11-11-09, 08:15 AM
tfischer

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Hey, Kitzl - if it's only "semi-loaded," you should only have a semi-wait.
Check with your dealer.
And find out why the Canadians, who have nothing better to do than wait, don't have to.
Old 11-11-09, 12:05 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

tfischer, it actually goes both ways. They get the loaded RXs while we wait months for ours. But they don't get Lexus Enform and I presume remote start like we do here in the states. From what I have read in other threads, I'll take the wait over the price in Canada anyday Mine is being built this month and may be here by Christmas. And yes, it will have the remote start. Unless someone finds something better...
Old 11-11-09, 01:17 PM
tfischer

Kitlz: that sounds like what I have read, also , but it makes no sense to me that remote start, a feature devoutly to be desired in colder climes, is not available in Canada; without it, I would not consider a car "fully loaded."
A new RX will make a grand Christmas present - are you going to get one of those big red bows on it?
Old 11-11-09, 01:43 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

I agree, it doesn't make sense remote start is apparently not available up north. Maybe someone from Canada can confirm? I believe it is dealer installed rather than put in at time of manufacture. So for those who do not have it, you can get it.

I don't have it written in my special order but yes, a big red bow will be included if it comes in by the holidays. Already talked to my sales guy about it
Old 11-12-09, 05:27 AM
jclem
Pole Position

Default Finicky operation

I have a factory RS, so it's part of the keyless entry key fob. More often than not, I can't get it to work. You are supposed to press the lock button 2x, then press it again and hold for 3 seconds. Is there some kind of trick to make it work, some special button pushing cadence?

I've read about here, and experienced the stupid 'car shuts-off when you touch the handle' "safety feature", and figured I can live with that--at least the car will be warm, but this unreliable starting is not acceptable.

I've used a REALLY good car radio/alarm/RS installer before and would've gone to him again, but I really liked the idea of only having one compact key fob that did it all. However, if it's going to be so unreliable.........So, any help or hints would be appreciated.
Old 11-16-09, 02:22 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Everyone needs to call consumer affairs, get compensated and tell them they need to issue a fix. There is no workaround at the moment other than aftermarket.
Old 11-16-09, 03:25 PM
1Gunner
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kitlz
I agree, it doesn't make sense remote start is apparently not available up north. Maybe someone from Canada can confirm? I believe it is dealer installed rather than put in at time of manufacture. So for those who do not have it, you can get it.

I don't have it written in my special order but yes, a big red bow will be included if it comes in by the holidays. Already talked to my sales guy about it
Confirmed by my dealer.... remote factory start is presently not available in Canada...... even as a dealer install.
As mentioned, will have one installed by stereo shop, not a biggy by any stretch.

Originally Posted by tfischer
And find out why the Canadians, who have nothing better to do than wait, don't have to.
WTF would you say we have nothing better to do.... than wait.....
Old 11-16-09, 07:24 PM
tfischer

Sorry; I forgot about Canadian football.
Old 11-16-09, 07:50 PM
1Gunner
Driver School Candidate

Ok..... so that makes you equal to most Canadians.
Old 11-18-09, 08:20 PM
krypttic
Pole Position

I contacted Lexus (800-25LEXUS)for a credit for my Remote Start and was offered a refund of the purchase price ($375), BUT only if I took the time to drive to the dealer and have them uninstall it.

I asked why the stupid thing shuts off when you open the door and was told it was a safety feature. After a brief discussion, the rep conceded that it didn't make much sense.

I'm a little peeved that I wasn't offered the same concession that TAZ was (a $450 service credit, and a chance to keep the remoter starter in case Lexus comes to their senses and fixes it anytime soon). I'm also in AZ, and presumably have the same regional CS rep.
Old 12-03-09, 03:22 PM
jclem
Pole Position

FWIW, I just sent the following to "Lexus Customer Assistance Center" on their website. Maybe it will help........ :

This is my 2nd Lexus and overall I am VERY happy with the cars and in particular my Northborough, MA dealership.

My only problem is with the implementation of your factory Remote Start. I have had several RS's on other vehicles and this is among the worst. Having to press a button 3x and hold is tedious, and the incredibly SHORT (30' or less)range plus requiring "line of sight" is all unacceptable.
Remote starters are not a new technology by any stretch. You are 'creme de la creme' Lexus and I would expect you to use top shelf, latest technology equipment. This RS is K-mart quality stuff.
Also, the fact that the car shuts off when you touch the handle is an unnecessarily redundant "safety" feature.
I did not opt for an after market RS, because I liked having just one key fob. However, had I realized how poorly this one was implemented, I definitely would have chosen the non-Lexus RS.
I, along with many other owners(check out the Club Lexus forum), am unhappy, but also hopeful that your technicians can come up with an appropriately cutting edge fix for this issue and therefore keep Lexus at the top, where it belongs.

Quick Reply: Remote start question