RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Remote start question

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-09, 10:12 AM
nyranger74
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never had a RS in any of my cars. I was thinking of getting a remote start installed. I definitely agree that it doesn't make sense that it shuts off when the door handle is touched. I don't see it as such a horrible thing though, as it is more for warming and or cooling a car. Winter is on its way and I think it would be awesome to have the car warmed and defrosted before I get into it. I think I will still invest in it. I think Lexus needs to fix other things about the car before the RS.
Old 12-05-09, 03:38 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Yeah, I don't think the car shutting off is such a huge deal. I will use it to warm up the car. I think the range of the remote is more of an issue. I think I am going to go ahead and buy it anyways.
Old 12-06-09, 12:37 PM
jclem
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From my experience, the only thing the Lexus RS has going for it, is the convenience of a single fob. No doubt about it, a RS is a cool thing to have, but the Lexus implementation of it is archaic. I'm not sure if an after-market RS can get around the shut-off when you touch the handle (and that's not a real biggie, just kind of a pain, plus extra wear and tear on the starter), but as far as a good reliable, work from a decent distance RS, after-market is the way to go. However, make sure you find a good car stereo shop to get it from, don't rely on the kids at Best Buy!! Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-06-09, 12:42 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

More people that call in to consumer affairs, more likely Lexus is going to fix it.
Old 12-08-09, 06:39 PM
Hal56
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jclem
I have a factory RS, so it's part of the keyless entry key fob. More often than not, I can't get it to work. You are supposed to press the lock button 2x, then press it again and hold for 3 seconds. Is there some kind of trick to make it work, some special button pushing cadence?

I've read about here, and experienced the stupid 'car shuts-off when you touch the handle' "safety feature", and figured I can live with that--at least the car will be warm, but this unreliable starting is not acceptable.

I've used a REALLY good car radio/alarm/RS installer before and would've gone to him again, but I really liked the idea of only having one compact key fob that did it all. However, if it's going to be so unreliable.........So, any help or hints would be appreciated.
My wife tried to use the RS today and alas it did not work even from various ranges including close. Same when I tried it--aside from the perhaps obvious-that it is defective in our car--is there another trick like a setting in the car? And I assume since we have a 450h it should work the same even though the car is difficult to hear when it is on.
Old 12-08-09, 08:03 PM
jclem
Pole Position

I took my RX to the dealer several days ago for the bumper fix and asked them to check the operation of the RS. He said things worked the way they were supposed to and suggested a "technique" with the fob---Using the 'lock' button, it's 3 quick presses and holding the 3rd time for as long as 4 to 6 seconds. Each time I have been within about 30'. This is certainly more tedious than any other RS I've ever had, but it has worked for me consistantly.
It is what it is, but, hopefully, Lexus will work out a better system and swap it out for free!
Old 12-08-09, 11:58 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Call consumer affairs and complain if you haven't already!
Old 12-09-09, 06:14 AM
deusex
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This issue doesn't really bother me, what is the big deal, really? It's for your safety. I think that most of new cars have this feature installed. My father just bought F150 HD edition w/remote start, now when he gets into to vehicle as soon as he presses brake the car shots off! now that really does't make sense.

Just my 2c
Old 12-09-09, 07:35 PM
DaRacerz
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by deusex
This issue doesn't really bother me, what is the big deal, really? It's for your safety. I think that most of new cars have this feature installed. My father just bought F150 HD edition w/remote start, now when he gets into to vehicle as soon as he presses brake the car shots off! now that really does't make sense.

Just my 2c
But thats how the majority of RS and Aftermarket are designed and is what would make all the users happy. The reason your father car shuts off is b/c he hasn't put the key in ignition mode before he touched the brakes. If he did, the car would not shut down. This is the process in which the RS releases itself to the actual key slot.

I do believe why Lexus/Toyota chose the path they did has a lot to do with the fact there is no 'key' in our cars. And door open was the only way they could ensure this saftey lockout. But it would've been nicer if Lexus would've just checked for presence of the FOB instead of shutting down. Definitely expect better out of a high end manufacturer.
Old 12-10-09, 10:13 AM
Hal56
Pole Position

update on my RX RS:

for whatever the reason--3 clicks on lock and a 4th held down starts the engine. The manual says 2 clicks and a 3rd held down
Old 12-20-09, 09:19 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I agree three clicks and hold works best for remote start. The second, third and fourth clicks right after seeing the turn signals flash.

<rant>
The distance the remote start works is lame, but when standing at my office window it hits the car. However when it's below 32 degree F, the car is not going to warm up in 10 minutes. In the mornings at home, I start it twice to warm it up before I get into it.

I expected the panic button to have a little more distance than remote start, but holiday shopping this weekend finding the car in the parking lot is NOT helped by pushing the panic button. You have to be so close to the car, you're already standing next to it.
<end rant>

What's the email address to suggest an improvement to Lexus?
Old 12-21-09, 10:42 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DunWkg
What's the email address to suggest an improvement to Lexus?
Call consumer affairs. Google it or look in manual. They don't have a way to send feedback via email.

Ask for your money back too. Worked for me and I think the more people that do it, the more likely Lexus is going to fix the issue.
Old 12-22-09, 04:33 AM
jclem
Pole Position

[QUOTE=tazdevl;5090610]Call consumer affairs. Google it or look in manual. They don't have a way to send feedback via email.QUOTE]

Yes they do: https://lexus2.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...nduser/ask.php

If that link doesn't work, go to Lexus.com. Towards the bottom, find the 'Contact Lexus' button and click on Contact Info. Near the top of the page find and click on 'Email'
Old 01-19-10, 01:23 PM
rsgpcny
Driver School Candidate

what make and model are being used in 2010 models? i have an rx, adn dealer said that lexus remote start on lexus remote is no good, need after market product. they installed prestige, and it sets off alarm, and ran down battery. i am ready to just take it out. car is 3 days old and needed new battery. any thoughts woudl be helpful
Old 01-19-10, 02:02 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rsgpcny
what make and model are being used in 2010 models? i have an rx, adn dealer said that lexus remote start on lexus remote is no good, need after market product. they installed prestige, and it sets off alarm, and ran down battery. i am ready to just take it out. car is 3 days old and needed new battery. any thoughts woudl be helpful
No issues here. Replaced the battery to see if it was bad?

I wouldn't use an aftermarket if I have to use a separate fob.

Quick Reply: Remote start question